Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 09:57 AM   #1  
living, breathing, moving

S/C/G: 230/170/135

Height: 5*5ish

Red face saying hi

Just wanted to pop my head in and say hello. I am thinking of going vegetarian. hubby is very loudly and vocally against this. i know you are saying why does it matter if you are and he isn't? well limited food budget for me him and two kiddies. so what everyone eats i eat.
does anyone face this situation and how have you dealt with it?
Thanks in advance
Old 06-03-2004, 01:36 PM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by blugirrl1
Just wanted to pop my head in and say hello. I am thinking of going vegetarian. hubby is very loudly and vocally against this. i know you are saying why does it matter if you are and he isn't? well limited food budget for me him and two kiddies. so what everyone eats i eat.
does anyone face this situation and how have you dealt with it?
Thanks in advance
Look for low fat recipes and let everyone enjoy them! I'm from Ohio also! Hello neighbor!
Old 06-03-2004, 07:30 PM   #3  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Starting out by making familiar meals might help. For example, if you make spaghetti or lasagna with "meat sauce" using vegetarian "ground round" (soy product) or textured vegetable protein it might help to ease the transition for your family.

There are lots of vegetarian friendly products available at grocery stores and health food stores these days. There are even veggie burgers and veggie hotdogs for BBQ season

There are some vegetarian recipes posted in this section and here are some websites that might be useful to you:

www.thesavvyvegetarian.net, www.vrg.org, www.vegetariantimes.com and
vegetarian.about.com

www.vegparadise....I got this one from a 3FC member named VOW- she writes a colum called"Using your bean" for this on-line zine. It's free and has a lot of good articles and information.

If you need some more info let me know.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:27 AM   #4  
living, breathing, moving

S/C/G: 230/170/135

Height: 5*5ish

Kimmy, hey nieghbor whereabouts in ohio? i am near delphos.

mauvais: thank you , you are the redheaded bomb. so far we have been transitioning some days vegetarian, some days meat still but no where as much as it was. i am becoming addicted to boca burgers, kids aren't nearly as grumby about it as hubby is.
the funny thing is he thinks that if i go all "tree huggy" quote unqote then i will refuse to have meat in the house, or cook hijm some of his fav. dishes. i try to tell him i am not going **** about it, jsut trying to eat healthier and that he would like some stuff if he would try it. oh well we will see.
<dashes off to read links>
Old 06-04-2004, 12:05 PM   #5  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Here is some more info Heather

Shopping for Soy
(from the South Beach Diet Daily Dish e-mail)

Looking for a few good soy products? Soy is now used in a variety of tasty items, and they're not just for vegetarians. Considering soy's possible anticancer benefits and the new-and-improved flavor of most products, there's no reason why soy shouldn't be a part of your diet.

Here is an assortment of great South Beach Diet™™-approved soy products that you can find in your neighborhood grocery store:

Soy milk (low-fat plain or sugar-free flavored varieties)
Soy burgers (less than 3 grams of fat per 2-3 ounce serving)
Soy dogs (less than 3 grams of fat per 2-3 ounce serving)
Soy crumbles
Tempeh
Soy nuts
Tofu
Soy chicken strips
Soy deli meat
Smoked tofu
Old 02-04-2005, 08:49 AM   #6  

I have been a vegetarian for over 14 years. My husband is not, has never been, and never will be a vegetarian. So many people find this an odd situation that must cause problems. Mostly we get along about it ok. I cook veggie meals, and if he wants meat he cooks it himself -- otherwise he just eats what is there. This works well for us. He even looks out for me when we are out to eat, making sure that I don't forget to ask about ingredients or whether things are cooked on the same surface as the meat.
I also find that meat is much more expensive than meat-substitutes like tofu, so you may find that to be a non-issue.
Good luck with the transition!
Closed Thread