Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 10:17 AM   #16  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I try to test out a new vegetable every month. I look up vegetarian recipes on line and do a little research on what to look for when buying that particular produce.

I am currently trying to figure out what to do with bok choy - I love it in won ton soup but want to try making it into something else.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:42 AM   #17  

I make a darned good "tofu pie"....

1 block of silken tofu (the soft, not firm)
1 pkg. of any flavored instant pudding mix
about a 1/2 cp. of vanilla soy milk
1 pie crust (I use the reduced fat version)

whip all ingreds. in bowl, pour into pie crust, stick it in the fridge and in about an hour you've got yourself a pretty darned good piece of pie type stuff.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:25 PM   #18  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Mauv - Is it Baby Bok Choy? For baby ones, I put them in a glass casserole dish with plastic wrap and microwave it until just tender. Add a little salt and pepper. Nothing else. The Cute Boyfriend LOVES them.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:44 PM   #19  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Mrs K - I'll bet that they're either frying their tofu (very common), buying pre-baked tofu or using Tempeh. Does it remind you of french toast?

For anyone interested in using tofu:

I buy extra firm tofu and press it in the fridge overnight. (set the tofu between two plates - the bottom one upside down- and set that in a bowl so you don't have tofu juice everywhere. I press it with a can of tomatoes). Then, I wrap it in plastic wrap and freeze it. It changes it color and gives it a slightly different texture. Meatier.

Then, I pull it out of the freezer and thaw it, slice it into 1/4 inch slices and marinade it. I like spicy stuff so I sometimes to a chili paste, peanut butter, garlic, soy sauce, ginger, splash of lemon and sake marinade. (reserve a bit of the marinade for dipping) I marinade it for about a day. I slice the square in half (diag.) so they look like triangles. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Pour off about 1/2 cup of the marinade; it should reach about halfway up the sides of the tofu. Bake the tofu for 40 or 45 minutes or until the tofu is golden brown and most of the marinade has been absorbed.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:38 PM   #20  

Thanks for the bok choy tip Jessica! Sounds yummy!
Old 03-18-2004, 09:40 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 154/144/135

Height: 5'5"

I usually eat bok choy raw in a salad. Just cut it up like celery. Granted it's really simple, but that's my favorite way to fix it. Either that or chop it up and stir fry it.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:13 PM   #22  

Lightbulb

I'm pretty new at this so I can't tell you what to do with tofu exactly yet. However, I do have a great tip for you.

I have been checking out vegetarian cookbooks at the library and copying the recipes that look good (that way I don't have to buy the books). Most of them tell you how to prepare tofu and similar products.

If your library is online, you can put a hold on the books and they will call you as they come in.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:04 PM   #23  
Movin' to the Country!

My kids love tofu! We usually put something heavy on top of it to get out as much liquid as possible or slice it and squeeze between paper towels then marinate in a little soy sauce and saute with some sesame seeds. Yum!!! You can also use it in place of meat in stir-fries and such. As someone said, it takes on the flavor of whatever it is in so it is pretty easy to use. I've heard baked tofu is good but haven't tried that yet.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:53 PM   #24  

Thanks for the tip Candy!
Old 07-26-2004, 12:03 AM   #25  
mom2four

I cook most of my meals from scratch. I make my own breads and veggie burgers and such. Old habits die hard and I'm a veggie from way back when they didn't have alot of convenience foods. The veggies of today are luckier then us old timers. One of these days I'm going to try a commercial veggie burger to see how it compares. I just joined today so I just wanted to poke my nose in this conversation and say hello. Be glad to get to know everyone, Jackie
Old 07-26-2004, 11:07 AM   #26  
mom2four

Actually I am going to qualify my last post and say I just had to re register using my other web address because of login problems. But it has been quite awhile since I've been here to post, I am so happy to find a veggie forum. And I am still looking forward to getting to know everyone. I must have been more tired then I knew last night because I in advertantly signed Jackie when I met Judy. Chow andeveryone have a great day.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:44 AM   #27  

Welcome mom2four!
Old 07-30-2004, 06:12 PM   #28  

Mom2 do you have the Kathys Kitchen cookbooks it was an old vegan cooking show on PBS she was from Hawaii and made a huge mess in the kitchen....the reason I ask is because she has the best most nutritious veggie burger recipe...I have ever had it tastes grilled ...a pain to make but you make a lot and freeze them...if you want the recipe I will dig it up ....but if you like doing stuff from scratch her book "Dieting Without Dieting" is the best....
Old 07-31-2004, 09:37 AM   #29  

That sounds good KidzRN - If you don't mind sharing the recipe I would like to try to make a go of it
Old 08-01-2004, 09:31 AM   #30  

I will post it give me a little time ...I have to find it...we moved this year....argh
Closed Thread