Old 02-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/185/137

Height: 5'8"

Default My first real "bad day" going plant-strong.

So my diet has been plant-strong for about a month now and I just feel blah today (not eating meat, eggs, dairy, honey, etc.). I feel super bloated, my stomach looks gross and I'm seriously retaining water (no, it's not PMS). Has anyone else experienced this? I know a lack of protein can cause edema but I really don't think it's *that* extreme. My protein was particularly low today but in general it's been pretty good. I just feel so *sluggish*.

Any ideas?
gymrat05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Uhh... protein deficiency isn't immediate, it'd take months. Same with vitamin deficiencies.

What did you eat? Anything out of the normal? Anything particularly sodium rich?

I get bloated when I eat too much bread or if I accidentally ingest dairy (among other nasty 'side effects').

Oh also, I forgot but if you drastically increase your fiber intake then you can get bloated because your body hasn't adjusted to it so lots of beans/vegetables can do it to you too.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #3  

Exactly! I was just going google crazy trying to think of things that could cause it but it made no sense to me either.

My sodium has actually been *really* low. The lowest it's probably been in my entire life. I haven't eaten anything unusual. I had a big salad with lentils last night and for lunch today I did have some pasta...but I was feeling bloated before that. No dairy whatsoever.

Hmmm. It definitely could be the fibre. I"m also eating way more fibre than I ever have before. It was just so out of the blue. I've been pretty much eating the same kinds of foods for the last few weeks and today it just hit me.

It's a weird feeling - it's not my normal bloated feeling where my stomach looks about four inches bigger. Everything is just squishy and soft and I feel puffy.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Yeah, I am guessing the fiber. Just drink plenty of water to help move things out. Your body will adjust. If it continues, I'd keep a food diary to track any trends.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

I'd guess fiber as well. Hope you feel better tomorrow!
penmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #6  

Thanks for your input everyone!

Nelie - I'm keeping a food diary starting today. I know my carbs were high but I'm definitely trying not to make a habit of it. Hopefully it's just the fibre.

UPDATE: A scoop of Sunwarrior mixed in some almond milk and I'm feeling better. I had a pretty intense workout yesterday. Maybe I overdid it and didn't compensate with calories!

Last edited by gymrat05; 02-03-2013 at 11:57 PM.