Old 06-25-2011, 03:38 PM   #1  
it's always something

Default Updated list of Vegetarian and Vegan Books

Our old list of books included a lot of books no longer available. Here's a revised list of vegetarian and vegan cookbooks and we're starting from scratch.

Please feel free to reply with your own recommendations!

Very popular vegan cookbooks by Terry Hope Romero and/or Isa Chandra Moskowitz

Veganomicon The ultimate vegan cookbook.

Appetite for Reduction Low fat vegan recipes.

Vegan with a Vengeance Very popular vegan cookbook

Vegan Brunch

Vegan Cookies invade your Cookie Jar

Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World

Viva Vegan! for Latin food lovers

My own personal favorite cookbooks

Cafe Flora a personal favorite cookbook of mine, from a popular restaurant.

The Bold Vegetarian Chef Amazing recipes, cram packed with flavor

New Vegetarian: Bold and Beautiful Recipes for Every Occasion by Celia Brooks Brown. This is the cookbook that convinced me vegetarian food could be better than anything else. It's a British cookbook and you'll notice Amazon doesn't have new copies, but they are listed available as used starting at just one cent plus shipping.

Vegetarian Supercook by Rose Elliot. Another British cookbook that you'll need to order from an Amazon marketplace seller new or used. It's really nice.

Veggie Burgers Every Which Way: Fresh, Flavorful and Healthy Vegan and Vegetarian Burgers - Plus Toppings, Sides, Buns and More Simply amazing collection of veggie burger recipes. Nothing is ordinary and everything is delicious.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:09 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

One of my favorite new cookbooks has me eating veggie burgers a few times per week

The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet: 101 Globally Inspired Vegan Creations Packed with Fresh Flavors and Exciting New Tastes

Also, I've found two books that are fairly friendly to new vegans or vegans stuck out in the middle of nowhere and don't have access to certain things like nutritional yeast. The recipes are fairly simple and can be made from ingredients at your regular grocery store for the most part.

Supermarket Vegan: 225 Meat-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free Recipes for Real People in the Real World

Vegan on the Cheap: Great Recipes and Simple Strategies that Save You Time and Money
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:10 PM   #3  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I love all of Nava Atlas' cookbooks - Vegetariana, Vegetarian Soups for all Seasons, 5 Ingredient Meals, etc. She also has a good website with lots of recipes. Vegetariana is probably my all time favorite cook book because it's just fun to read.

Last edited by CyndiM; 06-26-2011 at 08:25 AM.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:37 PM   #4  
Vegan for the animals.

Vegan Vittles. A little older, but now updated, vegan cookbook. A great basic.

http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Vittles-...9055466&sr=1-1
VegDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:06 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 172/151.9/125

Height: 5'2"

I love the Candle Cafe and the new Candle 79 cookbook from the restaurants in nyc (my favorite!). Unfortunately many of the recipes include a lot of strange ingredients that can be hard to find so they are more special occasion cookbooks, but the results are delicious!
trisaratops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:08 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 196/190/150

Height: 5'7

Hello! I'm new to the forums and thought I'd chime in I have a large collection of vegan cookbooks, and my favourite by far is 30-Minute Vegan. It is definitely my most used cookbook, earning dog-eared pages after just a month or two of use Lots of really nutritious recipes, and a few raw adaptations. Not too much focus on soy and/or processed foods- leans more toward natural ingredients & sweeteners. I can't say enough good stuff about it, really I also love The Indian Vegan Kitchen- it's excellent!
Christaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/185/123-125

Height: 5'1"

Here's one of the first vegan cookbooks that I bought and used quite a bit until I decided to go the low fat (a la McDougall) vegan. However, I will probably pick it up again at some point and do some recipe modifications atbsome point.

Donna Klein, "The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen.

http://www.amazon.com/Mediterranean-...0363909&sr=1-1

Tam
tammay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 164/160/140

The China Study, by Dr. T. Colin Campbell. I became a vegetarian after reading it
veggiegirl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 222/150/140

Height: 5' 7"

The China Study is quite amazing! I was a veggie before but it still was a good read
TurboLaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:47 PM   #10  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Some of my favorites...

"Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone" by Deborah Madison

"How to Cook Everything Vegetarian" by Mark Bittman

"A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen" by Jack Bishop

"The Complete Italian Vegetarian Cookbook" also by Jack Bishop

"Simple Vegetarian Pleasures" by Jeanne Lemlin

"The Modern Vegetarian Kitchen" by Peter Berley

"Fresh Food Fast" also by Peter Berley

"Great Chefs Cook Vegan" by Linda Long

Enjoy!
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #11  
Dancing Maddie

S/C/G: 175/155/120

Height: 5'4''

I love the kind life by alicia silverstone!!
Mabenda0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #12  
Just Me

I'd probably recommend The Hip Chick's Guide to Macrobiotics vs The Kind Life. It has all the same recipes and some more from The Kind Life.

Also, Terry Romero (co-author of Veganomicon) just came out with a great book called "Vegan Eats World".
Old 01-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #13  
Just Me

Just wanted to report back, Vegan Eat's World is a great book. I also got 2 other new ones:
Chloe's Kitchen (Vegan) - She apparently won "Cupcake Wars" and includes her winning cupcake recipe in the book. The cookbook is fairly well rounded. I made the Lasagna the other day and my husband loved it. The basil tofu ricotta was great. This is a good cookbook for people trying out a vegan diet as well as experienced vegans.

Meatless (Vegetarian - Martha Stewart) - I vowed years ago to not buy vegetarian cookbooks when there were so many good vegan ones. I caved on this one. I think this is a fabulous intro book for someone who is interested in becoming vegetarian, vegetarians and vegans experienced with substitutes. New vegans may find the book daunting although there are quite a few vegan recipes, other recipes in the book may rely on you creating a substitute or omitting.

And I don't think I've mentioned it before but Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions is a great book if you want to focus on recipes for things that you miss. I've eaten the versions of tuna salad in the book many times and its good. There are a few others I've tried as well.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 187/180/150

Height: 5'10''

Vegan Soul Kitchen by Bryant Terry is a unique and fun one.
I also just got Yotam Ottoleghni's Plenty and it's fantastic.
I'm a huge fan of international cooking, and some of my personal favorite cookbooks include Mediterranean Harvest and most of all, Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian
synchrojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #15  
Just Me

Isa does It!
I tested for this book and it is one of the best books I have. Highly recommended.