"30" Day Vegan Challenge :)

You're on Page 3 of 6
Go to
  • hahaha that makes a lot of sense! Does it have it's own flavor?
  • Not really, kinda like tofu where it picks up whatever you flavor it with (though I could be wrong, the sauce I made was strong).
  • I've been wanting to try my hand at being vegan for awhile. I've made a couple of half-hearted attempts in the past, but had no real motivation. I think knowing that others are doing the same thing will give me that motivation I was lacking! I'm really excited about trying this especially since I think dairy is the main culprit behind most of my weight (I'm already vegetarian).
  • @Ashley okay, I may have to buy some. Thanks.

@deborahrogers85 Yeah, feel free to jump in whenever. Ashley and I have been doing our own vegan "thang" for almost a week. The cookbooks and websites that people have shared here have definitely helped me see the options I have. Welcome aboard!!!
  • P.S. I have my weigh in on Thursdays for Weight Watchers. Down 2.5 pounds this week.
  • Hi Deborah! Welcome!
    Li - congrats on your loss!!! How's it going today?

So I totally accidentally ate cheese. I felt like an idiot and once I realized it was in fact cheese, I read the ingredients and felt like even more of an idiot. I was tired when I went shopping...but oh well! I'm still feeling good. I have a work conference tomorrow and they are providing lunch.....I'm betting nothing will be vegan, so I'm packing nuts and some other "snacky" things to hold me over.
  • Ashley- yeah, it's bound to happen at some point. I find myself looking extra hard at ingredients now because the other night I almost ate a veggie burger that had egg whites in it >< It's hard, but we're doing great in my opinion. Good luck tomorrow!!!
  • did you guys watch that oprah episode where almost the entire staff went vegan for a week? it was great -- try to find it. i would love to join you but am a bit weary...i do no think i can (or would want to!) do it without my (fat free) yogurt or (skim) milk in coffee. i LOVE yogurt. i cannot stand soy milk which is all they have at starbucks where i get coffee every day. my best friend is vegan because of religious beliefs and she has yogurt i think. otherwise, i can give up meat and eggs no problem. having said that, i have vacation coming up (to sweden) so it's highly improbable i will be able to maintain this while on the trip, especially since i will be traveling with a friend staying with a friend of my mom's. i don't want to impose my dietary restrictions on anyone or cause any grief. maybe after i get back? let me know what you think of the yogurt quandary.
  • @Leblebi I think you can do it! We're pretty much doing our own thing. I went completely vegan. If you wanted to go vegan but allow yourself the yogart and milk then by all means go for it! I'm basically doing this to change how I think about food and really be aware of what I'm putting into my body.

I think there is a vegan yogart but don't quote me on that. lol I'll have to do some research tomorrow in regards to it. I will check it out in the morning and let you know what I find!!!
  • there is vegan yogurt...they have soy, rice, and I think coconut milk....I tried one (soy, I think) and it was pretty good!

Conference was a fail, but I'm still feeling good about my choices overall
    Happy weekend!
  • oh, Oh, OH!!!!
    I hit a major victory. Yesterday I joined a gym (wasn't going to join, wasn't pressured into it, but felt great about that particular gym). I did a 5K on the elliptical (guy said it wasn't exactly an elliptical, it keeps your posture more like you are running). That is HUGE for me. I'm going tomorrow, Sunday might not happen (mother's day, grandmother is in town for the first time in years, etc), but I'm going Monday, and have my "free" personal training session on Tuesday. I've loving it!!
  • YAY! Congrats!!!! First off eating when you have no control over the menu is haaaarrrrd! So even making healthier decisions is definitely DEFINITELY a great thing. Great Job!

Joining a gym, that's down right fantastic! Congratulations on that as well. That's so wonderful! You'll have to tell us how your personal training sesh goes!!!
  • Oh, I made some "Mac & Cheese" yesterday that was to die for. Completely vegan and absolutely AMAZING! Seriously, the best. http://www.vegnews.com/web/articles/...d=10&pageId=40
  • hey guys thanks -- and congrats on all your hard work, joining gyms, etc. you're inspiring. now that you mention non-dairy yogurt it is sounding familiar. i will look and try one out. otherwise i'll just modify like you said. i don't want to spend too much money either on non-meat / non-dairy products so i will have to watch my wallet. i live in nyc and everything costs and arm and a leg, particularly things like tempeh, seitan, faux pepperoni, etc. if i end up committing 100% i will let you know...it might just be the push i need. it won't be too much of a departure from my current eating habits but if i have a focus perhaps it'll keep the chocolate binge monster away and i'll think twice about those little snacks which add up throughout the day
  • by the way...i have posted some recipes on the veggie challenged thread. i believe they're all vegan (you can sub the yogurt if you'd like.) let me know what you think if you try them out. i think there are three -- swiss chard, leeks, and another one...

(5 mins later)

ok so i went to the veggie thread. the 3rd recipe is for celery root yum yum yum. here's the direct link to it:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/vegg...icy-chard.html