Old 04-28-2011, 11:52 AM   #1  
Vegalitarian

Height: 5'8

Default Question about Eat to Live vs. calorie counting.

I've been considering trying ETL for weight loss, but had some questions. Didn't really know where to ask, but I see some people here are doing it, so perhaps know what I mean.

I'm mainly wondering, will I experience faster weight loss than with calorie counting (1200c/day)? And is faster in this instance really better? I've experienced rapid weight loss before, but it always came back immediately. I lose 1 lb a week with cc, and that seems to stay off for me.

Right now I'm within a technically healthy range, but would like to lose about 15-20lbs. I'm wondering if the high success stories are perhaps only for people with higher body fat, who might naturally lose quickly in the beginning.

Also, if I go back to eating, say, 1/2 fruit & veg, but add more things like bread that you're supposed to limit, will I likely gain it all back? What makes ETL different that you can lose a lot, and manage to keep it off?

Sorry if any of this just sounds downright ignorant--I kind of am! On the subject anyway. I've yet to pick up the book... Thanks preemptively!

Last edited by Astrild; 04-28-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Astrild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #2  
Yogini

S/C/G: 152/ticker/115

Height: 5' 3''

I only made it a few day on Eat to Live. I made it 6 months on calorie counting.

I would vote Eat to Live would show the fastest weight loss. It's low carb, low fat and pretty low calorie. You basically just eat veggies and some fruits/nuts/beans/grains/meat.

The plus side - you can eat as much non-startchy veggies as you want, but it would be really hard to get a ton of calories doing this.

Check out this website, it explains it all so you don't really need to buy the book.

http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2010/01...e-6-week-plan/

http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2010/01...-live-program/
Wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 266/199/165

Height: 5'7

Woah, just looked at eat-to-live. I would die! Only a cup of soymilk per day? Wow, just from looking at the plans I would go with calorie counting, with that you can eat what you want, when you want, you just have to monitor it.
LilMissLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:36 PM   #4  
Vegalitarian

Thanks Wildflower! I personally don't drink soy milk while calorie counting, but other restrictions might seem daunting depending on the individual. My issue would be having to live on either one grain or a potato a day. But what's appealing to me is eating however many beans, raw veg, and fruits as I want, and potentially experiencing faster weight loss. It seems like an extremely healthy basis to a vegan diet anyway. I will consider it more, and perhaps give it a try in another week or so... I'd like to see the difference in my weight loss.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #5  
wife2abadge

Height: 5'4"

If you're doing the "six week challenge", you can't really eat as much as you want though. One cup of beans is the "goal" amount, as well as four fruits. Non starchy veggies are unlimited, but in his member center, you're advised to eat only 2-3 meals a day with no snacking, and to eat just til full. I didn't make it more than a week, but I lost 7 lbs. I think if you really strictly follow the six-week plan, you'd lose weight very quickly. It would probably slow your metabolism because you'd be eating 1000 calories a day or less (at least I was!), but according to Dr. F, a slow metabolism is what you want if you want to live longer.

I've been trying to move toward eating this way for a year now, but I can't stick to it strictly.
wife2abadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:16 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I haven't done it. It looks too restrictive to me. I'll stick to calorie counting, much more flexible.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #7  
Vegalitarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wife2abadge View Post
If you're doing the "six week challenge", you can't really eat as much as you want though. One cup of beans is the "goal" amount, as well as four fruits. Non starchy veggies are unlimited, but in his member center, you're advised to eat only 2-3 meals a day with no snacking, and to eat just til full. I didn't make it more than a week, but I lost 7 lbs.
Ah, I see. I was just going by the link above. I have since read other people say you should limit your intake too. But I think I can do it. At least I'm going to give it a try. My weight hasn't budged at all in 4 days, so the potential loss is looking ever more appealing.

Did the 7 lbs stay off? I guess this is my biggest curiosity... I certainly have lost quickly by other means, but it came straight back to me.

Last edited by Astrild; 05-03-2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:18 PM   #8  
wife2abadge

It stayed off until I started eating sugar again. Now I'm back where I started. Sigh. When are you going to start the 6 weeks? Maybe I"ll give it another try if I have someone to do it with.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #9  
Vegalitarian

I may start next week, though I don't know yet if I'll do the full 6 weeks. I thought I'd maybe try it for a week or two and see how it goes.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:55 PM   #10  
wife2abadge

LMK if you decide to start and I'll give it another try. Here is the 6-week plan from the newest revised ed of the book:

goal of 1lb daily of raw vegetables (any)
goal of 1lb daily of cooked nonstarchy vegetables (eggplant, mushrooms, peppers, onions, tomatoes, carrots, cauliflower, leafy greens)
beans, legumes, bean sprouts, or tofu -- 1 cup daily
fresh fruits - 4 servings daily
either cooked starchy veg or whole grains -- limit of 1 cup per day
raw nuts and seeds -- 1oz per day
avocado - limit of 2 oz per day
dried fruit -- 2T max per day
ground flaxseed - 1T per day

no dairy, animal products, between meal snacks, fruit juice, oils, sugar