Old 12-19-2010, 08:30 AM   #1  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Default Santa Brought A VEGAN Home

Santa brought home a vegan for Christmas...ok, it wasn't really Santa, it was my step-daughter....she is always full of surprises

She is involved with the Americorps program right now and was able to come home for a couple of weeks. She brought home a friend that wasn't going back home but was planning on staying at their "base' until all returned.

Not a problem...other than...he is a vegan

Angie and I won't be needing to make vegan meals for him, as my step-d, guest, and her boyfriend will fend for themselves according to their schedules. However, he will be joining us for Christmas Eve and the day after Christmas for meals.

Christmas Eve will be super busy around here with church so I will be making a big pot of chili or two for all the guests that will be coming by for our party. So I was looking for a proven vegan chili to make for the kid.

The day after Christmas Angie will be making chicken cacciatore, so I was looking for a dish to go along with that.

Maybe a desert too.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Gals
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:11 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I will say a chili with pumpkin in it would be my choice. This one calls for pinto beans but personally, I prefer Roman beans or Black beans. Also, it says vegetarian chili but it is vegan, other for the cheese they call to add to it as a topping. Omit that part and there you go, vegan chili.
http://prudencepennywise.blogspot.co...ian-chili.html

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced, divided
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
1 large bell pepper, chopped (I used some red, some yellow)
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
2 tablespoons chili powder (less if yours is hot)
1 teaspoon cumin
pinch of cayenne
2 (14 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained
1 (14 ounce) can Mexican style diced tomatoes with juices, blended in the blender
1 cup canned plain pumpkin puree
chopped cilantro for serving

In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, 2 cloves garlic, ginger, bell pepper, and carrots. Cook for five minutes, stirring often, or until vegetables begin to soften. Add chili powder, cumin, and cayenne and cook for 1 minute. Add beans and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until all vegetables are softened. Stir in remaining garlic and pumpkin; warm through. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Also, if you want to head your stepdaughter and boyfriend somewhere with lots of vegan friendly items, I'd point them towards Frasier farms. I love that place.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:25 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 266.2/See ticker/133.0

Height: 5'5

OMG YES! I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE THIS CHILI!!!!!!!! (pay attention to the vegetarian burger crumbles, make sure there's no egg white, or just omit them...)

I've made this like, twenty times. I found and loved it long before I was ever watching my weight or trying veganism, and on top of that, all the meat eaters in my house love it too. I think I'll make some right now, actually.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/The-Bes...ld/Detail.aspx
DaughterOfVenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:32 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

http://www.chooseveg.com/display_recipe.asp?recipe=220
I'm making this for my vegan niece for our Christmas party. It looks pretty easy
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:25 AM   #5  
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfVenus View Post
OMG YES! I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE THIS CHILI!!!!!!!! (pay attention to the vegetarian burger crumbles, make sure there's no egg white, or just omit them...)

I've made this like, twenty times. I found and loved it long before I was ever watching my weight or trying veganism, and on top of that, all the meat eaters in my house love it too. I think I'll make some right now, actually.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/The-Bes...ld/Detail.aspx
Yeah in terms of vegetarian burger crumbles, I'd omit them. I personally don't like them myself so I wouldn't add them to a chili.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:52 PM   #6  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

You ladies are....as always...AWESOME!
Old 12-19-2010, 11:21 PM   #7  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Also, if you want to head your stepdaughter and boyfriend somewhere with lots of vegan friendly items, I'd point them towards Frasier farms. I love that place.
Nelie, Angie and I were just over that way with my step-d (and our kids/nephew)...it is her birthday.....her dad wanted to go to Hennessey's in Vista for dinner. The vegan boy is not her boyfriend her boyfriend will join us Dec. 26th.

Angie and I love-LOVE Fraiser Farms...We usually go on date night after dinner or Angie goes by after a yoga class she takes during the week downtown Vista....if you haven't tried the San Diego bakery bread they sell there, whole wheat or sour dough, you will have to when you come back into town...best sandwich bread from a store I have ever had!

Last edited by EZMONEY; 12-23-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:45 PM   #8  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

UPDATE ~

Thanks again LADIES ~

Here is what we did....Angie and I talked it over and decided to go with Brenda Sue's recipe for chili because the size of it complemented the other tow meat ones I was making...spicy and not so spicy. It was very good, we eliminated the burger crumbles and the jalapenos and threw in a can of Rotel for the heat. Everybody that had it enjoyed it but I will say it seemed to have a little too much chili powder for me.

Angie and I will be making the one Nelie suggested sometime next week for us as it is a smaller pot.

I plan to make Chickybird's recipe tomorrow when we get together for our personal family celebration.

VEGAN BOY really enjoyed the chili and had several bowls! A little side note on the boy.....he weighs 180....a little over 2 years ago he weighed just under 300.

Enjoy your week-end
Old 12-25-2010, 07:03 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

EZ, please let me know how the cheesecake turns out--I have been sick and didn't get to bake this year. Glad the chili turned out well!
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:19 PM   #10  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Chickybird it is going to be a no-go on the cheesecake. Angie just got home from the store and said they had everything but the toffuti cream cheese or any other non-dairy cream cheese. She is off to yoga now and won't have time to go by the health/produce market we shop at, which I am sure has it. Maybe next week....but vegan boy will be gone tomorrow.

be good
Old 01-04-2011, 08:59 AM   #11  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I will say a chili with pumpkin in it would be my choice. This one calls for pinto beans but personally, I prefer Roman beans or Black beans. Also, it says vegetarian chili but it is vegan, other for the cheese they call to add to it as a topping. Omit that part and there you go, vegan chili.
http://prudencepennywise.blogspot.co...ian-chili.html

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced, divided
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
1 large bell pepper, chopped (I used some red, some yellow)
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
2 tablespoons chili powder (less if yours is hot)
1 teaspoon cumin
pinch of cayenne
2 (14 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained
1 (14 ounce) can Mexican style diced tomatoes with juices, blended in the blender
1 cup canned plain pumpkin puree
chopped cilantro for serving

In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, 2 cloves garlic, ginger, bell pepper, and carrots. Cook for five minutes, stirring often, or until vegetables begin to soften. Add chili powder, cumin, and cayenne and cook for 1 minute. Add beans and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until all vegetables are softened. Stir in remaining garlic and pumpkin; warm through. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Thanks NELIE

I finally got around to make this one. It was the perfect amount of food for Angie and I for dinner then plenty for leftovers for her to warm up on those yoga teaching nights when I am out of town. It had a good flavor but, for us, it was a little thick.....not gonna go into chili is supposed to be thick Angie and I like ours just a little bit soupy. Angie is going to add a little veggie broth to the leftovers when she warms it up to see how that goes.

Overall for us 4/5 Stars We will be making it again...

Thanks
Old 01-04-2011, 11:21 AM   #12  
Just Me

Glad to hear! Also I didn't respond earlier but I understood that the vegan wasn't the boyfriend, I was thinking the girl and the boy could go shopping for their vegan friend

I was a bit disappointed as I didn't get to visit frasier farms this year. My trip got canceled due to some house issues. I'm looking at summer now as my next opportunity.