Old 03-12-2010, 02:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 144/122.5/117

Height: 5'1"

Default Calorie help for lentils please?

Okay, I cooked lentils today and when I went to input them on my daily plate, there were so many differences in calories (from the search I did) that it made me wonder if I ate WAY TOO MUCH..
On my bag, it says for 1/4cup (dry) there is 70 calories. Okay, So i cooked 1 whole dry cup in about 5 cups of organic vegetable broth.
So that had me think that that whole amount (not counting the vegetable broth) would be about 280calories. Is that right?
It definately cooked up more than one cup due to them expanding. After cooked, they expanded above three cups when measured.

So now when I look at other calorie facts on lentils, one cup of "cooked" lentils can be around 230calories or so. I'm lost..
Am I thinking too hard here?lol Just because they expanded, does that mean the calories changed? I feel so brainless today that it's completely going over my head.
remee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:09 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'd go with your package if 70 calories is for dry. Calorie king says 1/4 cup dry lentils is 169 calories which is over doubles of yours. So I'm not sure what they are doing differently.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: see WT

Height: 5'6''

i just checked out nutrition data for different kinds of raw (dry) lentils (red, brown) and i would go with 169 kcal per 1/4 of a cup. i do my calorie count in metric system and know that all legumes like that have around 350 kcal per 100 g (i.e. about 1/2 a cup) and that is adequate to the amount of carbohydrates and protein in legumes.
anyway, i wouldn't worry to much about that, as long as you are eating your reasonable serving, you're fine.
quince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 144/122.5/117

Height: 5'1"

Thanks bunches for the replies. It's still quite confusing for me so I guess I'll just try to limit how much I eat.
My worry is eating too much.
remee is offline   Reply With Quote