Old 04-12-2010, 07:31 AM   #31  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

justducky - I have Dr Neal Barnard's book and although it is low glycemic, I'm not sure I'd call it low carb. He definitely has had success with diabetic patients in either getting rid of their diabetes or at least improving their blood sugar levels.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:01 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 318/312/210

Being diabetic now, I have to low-carb. I eat low-glycemic veggies and fruit, lower-glycemic bread (ezekial bread, rye, pumpernickel), lower-carb grains (and watch portions, choose higher-fiber). If you read up on Dr. Neal Barnard, he offers a low-glycemic, low-carb, plant-based way of life plan. The name of the book is Dr. Neal Barnard’s Program for Reversing Diabetes, see here and get some good recipes: www dot nealbarnard dot org/diabetes_book dot htm . You don't have to be diabetic to have success with this - it is a lower-carb plant-based plan.[/QUOTE]

Wow! thank you for the info! I am going to check out his books.

Do you have any examples of meals you eat that are 1) low in carbs, 2) gluten free, and 3) meat free? I would love to eat vegetarian more than I do now, but I need to keep my protein ratio above my carb ration. When I eat way more carbs than protein, I end up feeling hungry and I think it affects my blood sugar. I have found I overeat less when I have a higher protein ratio to carbs. I keep my carbs below 100, but they are usually always above 50 and not a super low-carb diet or anything.
milliondollarbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:53 AM   #33  
Goodbye Taco bell

S/C/G: 175/158/135

Height: 5'5"

I think the main thing everyone keeps pointing out is that it doesnt matter what you are wether you eat meat or if you are a vegetarian/vegan it all comes down to what you eat..... you can eat good for you food and meat and lose weight just like you can eat good for you food without meat and still lose weight...... Its about finding the foods that work for you and your body.
Airforcechick07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:24 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 198/192.4/130

Height: 5' 5"

When I went vegetarian in February, I didn't lose any weight. But for the last week and a half , I've been enjoying a low fat vegan diet and in that week and a half I've lost 7.5 lbs. and I feel pretty darn good. I don't limit raw fruits and veggies at all. If I'm hungry or need to munch I grab a smidge of vegan ranch dip made out of Veganaise and pile on raw brocolli, cauliflower, carrots, celery, radishes... whatever and go to town. Or I have an apple or banana or make a big old fruit salad with a little agave nectar. It helps keep my hunger at bay and I don't feel restricted. I don't really have any doubts that this is something that I will stick too. I'm enjoying the food and loving the results.

I also love Dr. Barnard! Check out the 21 day vegan kickstart diet on pcrm.com.

Last edited by healthychel; 05-29-2010 at 08:29 AM.
healthychel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:58 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 174/167/145

Height: 5'8

I lost about 5 pounds in like...7 or 8 months, lol
Mostly cuz I started eating healthier to prove to my mom veggies can be healthy
I really started to lose weight when I started going to the gym,
well, that, and developed orthorexia, but that's a different story ;\
MeganTheMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:06 PM   #36  

S/C/G: ♡See Ticker♡

Height: 68"

Like everyone has said, no, not if you eat the foods that cause meat-eaters to gain weight. Like carbs, sweets, and empty snacks. If you eat lots of veggies, limit oils, and have measured whole grains and breads, then YES!!!
Mikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:54 AM   #37  
Sweat Sweat Sweat!

S/C/G: 190/ticker/130

Height: 5'7

I'v been vegetarian for the past 6 years! I have lost over 25 pounds from simply cutting out meats. I didn't exercise, or eat healthy at all. Just stopped eating meat. Imagine if I would have exercied, and eaten healthy. Would be in a better place.
If you do end up doing the vegetarian/vegan thing, then make sure you are still getting all the proper vitamins that you are missing from the meat that you aren't eating.
TheLindsy is offline   Reply With Quote