Old 11-15-2009, 09:39 AM   #1  
WW Moderator

Default The Kind Diet

Has anybody read Alicia Silverstone's new book? I've got it, but haven't read it yet.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:57 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/115/120

Height: 5'1"

Someone I'm following on Twitter syas they haven't yet been disappointed with a Kind Diet recipe. Sounds promising! Read it already and let us know.
nakedmango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:26 PM   #3  
Back in the Game

S/C/G: 132/125.2/120

Height: 5'6"

I wanted to buy the book so I rifled through it at the bookstore. I skimmed through the recipes and there were quite a few ingredients that I had never heard of before so I set it back down. I ended up purchasing 125 Best Vegetarian Recipes instead. Easy to find ingredients and easy to make recipes.
moon fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:10 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I just finished reading "The Hip Chicks Guide to Macrobiotics". I really liked it a lot. Apparently, The Kind Diet was co-written by the author and a lot of the recipes are from the Hip Chicks Guide although not all. She also borrows from some other books and has some of her own recipes.

Having said that, I am eating more macrobiotic-like these days.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:00 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 202/136/130

Height: 5'7"

I read it and really liked it.

It's basically the same information that's already out there, but the 'Super Hero' section was interesting and some of that information was new to me. The recipes look really yummy too. I haven't gotten the chance to make a lot of them, but I have made the Peanut Butter Cups and they we SO good.

I think this book is definitely good for people looking to go vegetarian/vegan who may not appreciate the way that Skinny ***** was written. It covers a lot of the same information, just less harshly.

Last edited by teebee; 11-19-2009 at 10:01 AM.
teebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:45 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Like lots of people, I just ordered this book after seeing Alicia Silverstone on Oprah. I've already gone vegetarian but I'm hoping this book will convince me to go vegan. I'm already sort of convinced but I'm dreading the inconvenience of it!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:20 AM   #7  
Just Me

Lisa,

I think it takes practice but I don't think of being vegan as an inconvenience. It definitely gets easier once you get into a groove.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:59 AM   #8  

Yep. I know any lifestyle change is an inconvenience at first and there's a learning curve, but I know it would be worth it. The trouble is going to be coordinating my new way of eating with my carnivorous husband and son. I'd like to raise my son vegetarian or vegan (he's 18 months old) but I haven't made that change. I plan to talk to the pediatrician at his next appointment and see what he thinks (though he's pretty old-school, so he probably will advise against it and I'll have to take what he says with a grain of salt). Then I'll have to work on convincing my husband that our son doesn't need to eat meat. My husband is already eating a lot less meat since I went vegetarian, and he's ok with it to a point. But he's a BIG fan of bacon! He's one of those people who's thin as a rail no matter what he eats, so he doesn't spend a lot of time thinking about what he should or shouldn't eat. He says he tried to go vegetarian when he was in college and he was tired all the time, so he has this preconceived notion that it's just not for him.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:11 AM   #9  
Just Me

Well not sure what your doctor would say but I've known many moms who have have raised their children vegan from conception. I also know they tend to seek Indian pediatricians/obstetricians due to the fact that a large number of Indians are vegetarian or at least understanding of a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle. And overall, we may be a meat centered/dairy centered society but the majority of the world isn't.

Here are a few links that may help
http://www.vegfamily.com/
http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/WELCO...nchildren.html
http://www.amazon.com/Raising-Vegan-.../dp/0972510206 (book)

I also recommend reading The China Study. I think it is a great book overall although it isn't focused on children.

I also have a skinny husband and really I bulk up his meals quite a bit. He gets a lot more grains/nuts/fats than I do.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:32 PM   #10  

The China Study is definitely another one I'm hoping to read soon. I'll have to request it at my library (as a SAHM, I can't afford to buy books very often anymore!)

I've been tempted to change pediatricians before, but I do like some things about him. He's very pro-breastfeeding, but I would hope that all pediatricians are. He was definitely not in a hurry for me to introduce cow's milk, saying "your baby's a human, not a calf," so that was in line with my thinking. My whole family is all about formula so they're all freaked out that my child still nurses at 18 months and that he's never had a drop of formula. Now they're all freaked out that I'm going vegetarian and my mom seems terrified that I might not feed her grandson the way she thinks I should. Of course, she feeds him absolute JUNK. She's coming for a week-long visit at the end of the month and it's going to be painful!!

Thanks for the links. You always have good info for me.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:23 PM   #11  

I have the book and I'm sorry I wasted my money. I do not care for it at all. I tend toward a lower carb, lacto ovo veg diet. The only vegan cookbook I like is The Carb Conscious Vegetarian. OMG, I could live off those recipes!

I also like The Low Carb Vegetarian (lacto ovo) by Rose Elliott. But that's just me. Like I said, I veer toward moderately lower carb recipes due to my blood sugar issues.
Joycelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:49 PM   #12  
vegan chick

S/C/G: 240/226/130

Height: 5'5

The Kind Life was a good book but not my favorite. My personal must have is the Veganomicon.
phojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:27 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/170

Height: 5'7.25"

Sorry for the thread-hijack but LisaMarie71, if it helps you with your family, the American Dietetics Association takes the position that a properly planned vegetarian or vegan diet is appropriate for all lifestages. You can find their official position paper here.
dangerousfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:09 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 237/184/157

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie71 View Post
Yep. I know any lifestyle change is an inconvenience at first and there's a learning curve, but I know it would be worth it. The trouble is going to be coordinating my new way of eating with my carnivorous husband and son. I'd like to raise my son vegetarian or vegan (he's 18 months old) but I haven't made that change. I plan to talk to the pediatrician at his next appointment and see what he thinks (though he's pretty old-school, so he probably will advise against it and I'll have to take what he says with a grain of salt).
LisaMarie71, I am a born and raised vegetarian. I'm almost 50 years old, and have no idea what a steak or a McDonald's hamburger tastes like. It is possible.
Birman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:52 PM   #15  
vegan chick

S/C/G: 240/226/130

Height: 5'5

I agree with Birman...
Anything is possible. We hold ourselves back too many times and put too much faith in what is considered the norm.
phojo is offline   Reply With Quote