Old 11-08-2009, 10:55 PM   #1  
Maintainer since 8/15/09

S/C/G: 173/118.6/110-115lbs.

Height: 5'3

Wink The term "Pescatarian", is there such a thing??

Hi, First i would like to say that I enjoy 3fc so much and find it very helpful and encouraging, I only wish i would have found it sooner! I have a question, did anyone ever hear of the term pescatarian? A vegetarian who eats some fish and dairy. It somehow does not make sense to me, since vegetarians don't eat fish or dairy, right? Well, this term best describes my way of eating for 14mo. now, I did it on my own without any research. I eat lots of fruit + veggies, a little fat free milk a day, 1 yogurt a day, nuts ,seeds, tofu, and fish 3 times a week. I eat no eggs or cheese, no red meat and no poultry, or anything that is processed (very against processed foods, I see it as a poison to your body). This works well for me, i never get sick of these foods and never even crave anything else. I lost 65 lbs and never felt better, even at 41! For me it was a lifestyle change that i can stick to for life since i never liked eggs or meat too much. If anyone knows what a pescatarian is or even if there is such a term, please inform me. I'm curious. thanks a bunch chickies!
fruitlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/174.4/150

Height: 5'5"

This is what wiki says

Pescetarianism, also called pesco-vegetarianism, is the practice of a diet that includes seafood and excludes mammals and birds. In addition to fish or shellfish, a pescetarian diet typically includes some or all of vegetables, fruit, nuts, grains, beans, eggs, and dairy. The Merriam-Webster dictionary dates the origin of the term "pescetarian" to 1993 and defines it to mean: "one whose diet includes fish but no meat."[1]

The Vegetarian Society, which initiated popular use of the term vegetarian as early as 1847, does not consider pescetarianism a valid vegetarian diet.[2] The definitions of "vegetarian" in mainstream dictionaries vary.[3]

I myself have not tried this but I do have a friend who uses this as a way of life. I would say if it works for you and makes you happy then stick with it.

Good Luck.
~Sharry
Shastey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:19 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Even though pescatarians aren't vegetarian, it is a true term and I'd say use it if it helps describe how you eat.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:00 AM   #4  

I'd actually prefer if people used the term pescatarian to describe their way of eating. There is too much confusion about vegetarianism and veganism.

Many people call themselves vegetarians but do eat fish, and it confuses people. As a vegan, I've often been asked if I eat fish. I've even been told in a restaurant, when asked about vegan options, that they had a fish dish.

So, absolutely call yourself pescatarian. I'm glad you found a way of eating that works for you.
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:22 AM   #5  
Maintainer since 8/15/09

S/C/G: 173/118.6/110-115lbs.

Height: 5'3

Hi Chicks, Thank you so much, this way of eating is a large part of who I am, and i really feel better knowing that at least there is a name for it. Thank you!
fruitlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:19 PM   #6  
it's always something

There's a newer term - flexitarian - that might be a better fit? A flexitarian eats mainly a plant based diet, but occasionally will eat some other type of meat or seafood.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:50 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 185/161.8/159

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlady View Post
Hi, First i would like to say that I enjoy 3fc so much and find it very helpful and encouraging, I only wish i would have found it sooner! I have a question, did anyone ever hear of the term pescatarian? A vegetarian who eats some fish and dairy. It somehow does not make sense to me, since vegetarians don't eat fish or dairy, right? Well, this term best describes my way of eating for 14mo. now, I did it on my own without any research. I eat lots of fruit + veggies, a little fat free milk a day, 1 yogurt a day, nuts ,seeds, tofu, and fish 3 times a week. I eat no eggs or cheese, no red meat and no poultry, or anything that is processed (very against processed foods, I see it as a poison to your body). This works well for me, i never get sick of these foods and never even crave anything else. I lost 65 lbs and never felt better, even at 41! For me it was a lifestyle change that i can stick to for life since i never liked eggs or meat too much. If anyone knows what a pescatarian is or even if there is such a term, please inform me. I'm curious. thanks a bunch chickies!
Vegetarians consume dairy/eggs/honey but not fish. Fish are animals, no different than animals with wings/legs etc.

However, vegans do not consume dairy/eggs/honey or fish.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:56 AM   #8  
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianwen View Post
Vegetarians consume dairy/eggs/honey but not fish. Fish are animals, no different than animals with wings/legs etc.

However, vegans do not consume dairy/eggs/honey or fish.
I'd only say that vegetarians may consume dairy/eggs/honey but others may not. It really depends and varies. My mom for instance, doesn't consume dairy but eats a couple eggs per week but likes to limit her consumption of eggs.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:12 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 196.6/see ticker/125

Height: 5'5 1/2

I'm a pescatarian, but don't eat fish all that often, once a week usually, or twice if I have bought a big fish. Eggs are something that I just don't like, the texture is just so off-putting, but still force down about 1-2 eggs a week. In the past I've tried telling some people that I'm pescatarian, but I've always had to explain that it's like being a vegetarian but you also eat fish.
Sanna Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:52 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I'd only say that vegetarians may consume dairy/eggs/honey but others may not. It really depends and varies. My mom for instance, doesn't consume dairy but eats a couple eggs per week but likes to limit her consumption of eggs.
Ah, well, some vegetarians eat apples and some do not. But the term vegetarian still indicates that dairy and eggs may be eaten.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:01 PM   #11  
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
Ah, well, some vegetarians eat apples and some do not. But the term vegetarian still indicates that dairy and eggs may be eaten.
That is what I meant, vegetarians MAY eat dairy/eggs but that doesn't mean they do. I'd say someone who is a lacto-ovo vegetarian eats eggs and dairy but otherwise no guarantee (and really the only time someone might care is if they are serving someone who is vegetarian and it is the vegetarians obligation to let someone know of their preferences).

And there is a slight difference between 'a little apple' getting into someone's food (unless they are allergic) versus 'a little dairy' getting into a vegetarian's food who doesn't eat dairy purposefully.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:36 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 74.4kg/58.8kg/54kg

Height: 161cm/5ft 3 1/2 in

To me, pescaterian is a made up word. It is however helpful to describe what I eat, because most people now know what a pescaterian is. I would however not describe it as a form of vegetarianism - evegarians do not eat any formally living thing, although most of them do eat dairy and eggs.

The term flexitarean feels downright ridiculous. It translates to me as :"I`m a vegetarian when it suits me and I`m not when it doesn`t". So basically, this person is an omnivore.
Stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:36 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

If a vegetarian has a problem with dairy in their food, then they shouldn't use only the term vegetarian and expect anyone to know. That's my point. It's a general term.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:50 PM   #14  
Just Me

Well I use vegetarian for myself most of the time versus vegan. I know someone may not know but I was just trying to say that I wouldn't assume someone eats eggs and/or dairy if they are vegetarian. They may, they may not. Others may assume, I was just pointing out that it isn't a guarantee that someone eats eggs and/or dairy if they say they are vegetarian.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:54 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 185/161.8/159

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I s'pose, I mean I used to not eat honey, didn't like it, now I do. There's always some variation on the theme.

The fish thing is a pet peeve of mine, I swear the next time some...person...asks me if I eat fish I'm going to blow my stack!11111111

BTW, I've been a vegetarian for 20 years.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote