Old 08-17-2009, 07:32 PM   #1  

Default Anyone else had success with 80-10-10 or other raw low-fat vegan diets?

I don't know if anyone is interested in this, but I couldn't find any other posts about it and I'm so excited that I just had to share!
About 5 years ago I lost 75 lbs through more traditional diet/exercise. The good news is that I've kept it off - the bad is that I cannot seem to loose the last 25lbs.
I have been really interested in more whole food, vegan diets (influenced by Dr. John McDougall, Dr. Esselstyn, Dr. Joel Fuhrman, Neal Bernard, and T. Colin Campbell's The China Study) over the last year or so and have been trying to eat low-fat vegan. My biggest challenge has been the more refined grain products, particularly breads and cereals, which I really have a hard time controlling my portions (and they are fairly calorie-dense, especially compared to fruits/vegis/beans/whole grains). And the dreaded sweet tooth - I had no problem giving up meat, cheese, dairy and eggs - unless they are in a dessert!!!!
I had read Doug Graham's "80-10-10" book which describes a diet made up of mostly sweet fruits, with some tender greens and some non-sweet fruits such as tomatoes/cucumbers but thought it was kind of extreme. I then read some blogs including Carlene Jone's (who lost more than 100lbs on a lowfat raw vegan plan) and thought I would give it a try.
I have been doing the plan for 2 weeks with the one exception - coffee, which I am trying to give up, and I'm down to one small cup in the morning - but I have to say, I am SHOCKED by how easy this is. I am eating basically every time I get hungry, which is usually 3-4 meals/day, and eating until I'm full, with monomeals of sweet fruit only for the first 2-3 meals of the day, then a sweet fruit plus a salad make up of baby greens and non-sweet fruit at dinner. I have steadily lost .5-1 pound per day - I know some of it must be water, but I have to admit - it is still pretty awesome to watch the scale steadily decrease, even through that TOM. In fact, of my 25lb to loose - I'm down 7.5 as of this morning - woohoo!
I also feel like my cravings, particularly for sweets/candy, have DRAMATICALLY decreased. I have really not had any urge to eat off-plan, which is very unusual for me and has been my downfall with previous programs, when I would eat very well for a few days and then have a day where I gave into my cravings and binged on something.
BTW - I have read on some webpages discussions about "detox" symtpoms when people start a low-fat raw vegan diet, but I have to say I haven't had any.
Anyone else done this and had this kind of success??? I'm really curious what other people's experiences have been like.
PBP1993 is offline   Reply With Quote