Eat for Health - Dr. Fuhrman

• Have anyone read this book? It totally changed my way to see food after reading it. I was a totally junk food eater, sweets, etc. I'm not saying I eat perfect now, but I'm more aware and trying every day to make smarter choices...
    Basically lots of vegetables (especially green ones), beans, fruits, nuts...
    Right now I"m reading Disease-Proof your Child also from Dr. Fuhrman and so far it's as great as Eat for Health.
  • Hi silob, welcome to 3fc I moved your post to the veg forum because we've had several Fuhrman followers in here and it would be great to get a new conversation going
  • I have read his books.For me, diet was to restrictive but I believe its a very healthy way to eat if you can commit to it.
  • I am trying to do McDougall, but realized I was eating way to many carbs, so right now I am going between the two diets, more fruits and veggies, less fat and carbs.
    Good luck to you and please post your journey with us.
  • I loved reading Eat to Live (previous book) and thought it helped me a lot starting a vegan diet. Actually, the day after I finished reading Eat to Live I gave up meat and dairy/eggs. It was weird going one day from eating steak to not eat any animal products but I absolutely loved it.

Now for Eat to Live itself, I've used it as a guideline overall but I don't follow it. When I did though, I lost 20 lbs fairly quickly.
  • I loaned my E2L book to a friend.
    Can someone tell me what he says about soymilk?
    I just bought a soyajoy to make my own soymilk.
  • Here is a website that goes over the general rules:
    http://www.fatfreevegan.com/etl.shtml

Soymilk, maximum of 1 cup per day
  • Question
    I tried to follow Dr. MacDougall's plan about a year ago, lost some weight in the beginning but then stalled. It's very low fat, potatoes for breakfast etc. I did lose quite a bit of weight about 13 years ago following Stop the Insanity, and this is similar, but this time my body just did not respond.

In general, those who follow E2L, Ornish, MacDougall, etc....do you lose weight on this, and what do you think it is that makes the weight loss happen (or not?)
  • I have heard a lot of complaints about McDougall in that he includes way too many carby foods. He also doesn't accept weight loss stalls and if you do, then it is your fault and you aren't following the plan.

I love the ideas behind Eat to Live and I really think the ideas behind it are solid. Beans and leafy veggies should come first in your diet and fruit should be included. All other items are extra. If you are stalled, then you may need to cut down on the fruit and/or beans a bit.

For me, I believe that what makes you lose weight on any diet is calorie restriction. There are different ways to restrict calories. With Eat to Live, it will balance your blood sugar and help keep you full by the foods that you eat.

I don't follow Eat to Live but I do use it as a generic guideline on how I should eat.
  • For me I can eat lowfat veggie diet with all the restrictions better than I can say South Beach or Atkins diet. I don't miss meat at all, I love veggies and fruit, trying to cut down on carbs is hard but I am making healthier choices with them.
    I eat better and my IBS seems to be under control now.
  • I've been following the Eat to Live diet for 2 months now and love, love, love it! I started it for health reasons....didn't want to go on cholesterol reducing meds, diabetes meds, etc and so far so good. I don't miss animal protein at all.
  • I love his books - they are what made me switch 100% to veggie!