Old 04-19-2009, 10:15 PM   #1  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Smile HELP! Sweet Potato Fries

OK Gals ~ Angie has been trying to make sweet potato fries...now my wife is a great cook but these are just not turning out right....she is baking them..

how do you make yours?

I am sure the answer is in here at 3FC somewhere but being LA-Z...I look forward to your post
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:22 PM   #2  

I bake mine,But I par boil first.Then spray with light coat of Pam,Salt andpepper and bake at 425.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:37 PM   #3  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

I coat them slightly with olive oil, toss with salt, pepper, chili powder and turmeric, and bake at 4:25 for 15-20 minutes, then flip them and bake for another 15.
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:17 PM   #4  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

This is a great question -- I've been having serious troubles with mine as well.

harrismm and Drina are they crispy when you cook them the way you do? Or are they still slightly soft? I can't seem to firm mine up at all. But then maybe they're not supposed to be any kind of crisp and my expectations are too high?
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:20 PM   #5  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Glory87 gave me some advice a while back to bake them until they are cooked and then broil them for a minute or two... but watch them closely!
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:44 AM   #6  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

thanks Gals!
Old 05-09-2009, 09:13 AM   #7  

Height: 5'6"

After you cut them, give them a quick rinse in cold water. It will remove some of the excess starch and help them crisp in the oven. Also, make sure they're not swimming in oil, and not touching at all on the baking sheet. Parchment paper also works wonders to prevent them from sticking.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:40 AM   #8  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Thank you BACILLI
Old 05-09-2009, 11:26 PM   #9  

Actually mine get pretty crispy.But I do cut them thin.Maybe this is the trick.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:38 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 225/178.5/135

Height: 5'3

What if you buy the bagged kind, a la McCain? Do the same methods apply? I had these for my "cheat night" on Wednesday and they were as limp as wet noodles.
Bumbleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:41 AM   #11  

Height: 5'6"

I've rinsed the bagged Trader Joe's ones that keep on hand for nights when I'm just too lazy to prep dinner. They've turned out great.

I read a blog a few weeks ago that said they get super crispy if you sprinkle brown sugar on them, but .... that defeats the purpose, and solidly sweet sweet potatoes are boring in my opinion. They need cumin and chipotle powder!
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:42 PM   #12  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

I read somewhere on the forums that someone makes regular oven fries by dipping the fries in an egg white wash before baking and that it makes them crispy. I haven't tried, it but it might be worth a shot.
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:27 PM   #13  
Changing behaviours

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindseyLouWho View Post
I read somewhere on the forums that someone makes regular oven fries by dipping the fries in an egg white wash before baking and that it makes them crispy. I haven't tried, it but it might be worth a shot.
I haven't tried this, but it sounds like it might work. It's from this blog: http://www.fortysomething.ca/2007/12...otato_frie.php

Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Fries

Sweet Potatoes
1 or 2 Eggs
Flour
Parchment Paper
Spices (salt, pepper and any of seasoning salt, paprika, chili powder, cinnamon etc)

1. Preheat oven to 425° F.

2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

3. Peel the sweet potatoes (or leave peel on, if you prefer). Cut in very small "fries" (the smaller, thinner the better) and place in a large bowl.

4. Separate 1 or 2 eggs (depending on how many fries you need to coat) and discard or reserve the yolks to use later. Whisk the egg whites until just lightly frothy.

5. Pour egg whites into a ziploc bag (or large bowl) and add the cut sweet potatoes. Close the bag and shake to evenly coat potatoes in egg whites.

6. Open the bag and add a bit of all-purpose flour (just one or two teaspoons, again depending on how many potatoes but not too much), close and shake to coat.

7. Place potatoes carefully on the baking sheet, shaking off any excess coating. Leave as much space between potatoes as possible. Try not to overlap any or crowd the sheet. Cook on two sheets, if necessary.

8. Sprinkle potatoes with salt and pepper and/or any other spices you like (seasoning salt, paprika, chili powder, cinnamon, cayenne etc).

9. Bake for about 20 to 30 minutes, until cooked. Don't wander too far while they are cooking, so you can keep an eye on their progress. The cooking time will vary depending on the size of your fries and they go from lovely to burnt very quickly. If you are baking two sheets, place racks in top and bottom thirds of oven and switch their position half way through baking.
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:19 PM   #14  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Thank you gals ~ Angie was checking in here last night and can't wait to try some of the ideas!