Old 03-13-2009, 02:25 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 175/165/130

Height: 5"3

Do you have access to restaurants that serve tofu? I would recommend first trying tofu when someone else cooks it.

I think tofu can be an acquired taste. First, try it fried with a lot of sauce. I know that's very unhealthy, but it can help you learn to like tofu.

As someone else mentioned, you need to press the water out of (FIRM) tofu before you cook it. Try marinated the tofu in soy sauce & sesame oil or teriyaki sauce before you cook it (or any other sauce you might use to marinate steak). Another trick for good tofu is to pour soy sauce on it while it's cooking. It helps it to brown.

A really good way to make curry is to fry tofu until it's brown, then simmer it in coconut milk & curry powder. The tofu will soak up some of the coconut milk and be delicious.

Don't be discouraged. It could take several tries before you start to like tofu. I even eat tofu "raw" now, mixed with a little soy sauce, sesame oil, and scallions.

Just think of as an acquired taste... like wine and coffee. Wine and coffee taste awful when you first start drinking them!

You can also "scramble" tofu. Crumble firm tofu into a frying pan, add some turmeric to give it a yellow color, and then cook it as you would make scrambled eggs. Add your favorite vegetables and spices. I like adding mushrooms, tomato, green & yellow peppers, onions, garlic, and lots of basil & pepper. Delicious!
idrinkcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote