Old 03-13-2009, 02:40 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 175/165/130

Height: 5"3

UrthWurm,

I have been vegan for about ten years, and have helped many friends go vegan. Here's a big thing I tell them: You don't have to go vegan all at once. When you think about it, the fact that you can't do without salmon shouldn't affect your ability to cut out chicken & turkey. I see this problem with a lot of people trying to go vegan or vegetarian. They can't cut out one food, so they don't want to cut out any. I think any difference, no matter how small, even if it's just cutting *back* on animal foods, should be commended!

For easy vegan recipes and nutritional information, I recommend Simply Vegan or The Vegan Sourcebook. How It All Vegan is also a "hip" cookbook that explains some nutrition. There are so many ways for vegans to get protein, and I probably wouldn't do it justice in this post. When I'm craving protein and want a quick fix, I'll eat some raw cashews or peanut butter, or make a fresh-fruit smoothie with protein powder. Also, one question... what do you hate about beans? Is it the flavor? The texture? There are many varieties of beans and ways to cook them. One thing about going vegan is that you learn to try new foods and see familiar foods in a new light. It's one of the many perks!

Good luck!
idrinkcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:53 PM   #17  
Fighting to be Fit

Height: 5'3.5" Age: 22

Wink

Thanks for the advice! I haven't eaten any meat since I last posted in here, though I have been lenient with cheese (it makes it easier for my family to accept, and I only eat it on occasion when I visit). I think the hard thing for me about making this choice was that I'd never really gone outside my comfort zone of prepackaged, preprepared junk. I'd grown up on that and simple meals, courtesy of my mom. I've discovered that I don't actually hate beans, I'd just never eaten them much before except in soup my mom made (which was disgusting). It's not that I hate many vegetables either, I just never got a good variety of veggies as a child/adolescent. I grew up eating mainly meat and bread, which is why I thought I might starve without it. I wasn't aware of this great world of food that existed beyond what I'd known. Now that I'm out living on my own and making my own food choices, I'm finding it isn't all as hard as I was imagining. I really enjoy making and eating home cooked meals! It's always an adventure, and I'm finding I can actually cook pretty well (a skill I wasn't sure existed in me beyond the ability to make toast). I just needed to get out there and experience for myself. I don't think I could have made this change while still living with my mom. Thanks for all your support!

<3 Kimmy
UrthWurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:27 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 245/228/145 (low of 221.8 '09)

Height: 5'7"

Red lentils and quinoa are good sources of protein.

If you like salmon and shrimp, eat them. Just don't pretend it's a health issue. You can meet all your needs with a vegan diet, but you don't have to. It's your decision.

Eat what you want to eat.
FatGirlTale is offline   Reply With Quote