Old 12-21-2008, 04:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Default If you could get only one cookbook, which one?

So if you could get only one vegan or vegetarian cookbook, which one would you get? I've got some credit at Amazon.com, and I was looking at vegan cookbooks. I've read quite a few of the reviews, and am still having a hard time choosing. So I thought I'd ask people here which cookbook they'd get if they could only get one. I prefer a vegan cookbook, but it would be fun to see which vegetarian cookbook the vegetarian people would choose, too.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:27 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Hmm that is hard, I'd say either Vegan with a Vengeance or Veganomicon. It is hard to go wrong with either although a lot of the Vegan with a Vengeance recipes are on www.theppk.com so maybe Veganomicon.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:29 PM   #3  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

My favorite may not even be in print.
Vegetarian - American Wholefoods Cuisine by Nikki and David Goldbeck.

It has been my most used vegetarian cookbook over the years. I bought it in 1984 a couple years after becoming a vegetarian. I used it as recently as today.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:05 PM   #4  

I'm a big fan of Veganomicon, but I also use Sarah Kramer's books a lot (La Dolce Vegan, How it all Vegan and Garden of Vegan). I think she also just put out a new one.

Good luck choosing. There are so many out there!
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:02 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 270/209/170

Height: 5ft 7

La Dolce Vegan by Sarah Kramer! Im such a huge fan of all of her cookbooks but this one is pretty much my bible.
erinmagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian is an amazing book. I love both this one and the original How to Cook Everything.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 12-21-2008 at 10:12 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:42 AM   #7  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

Either How to Cook Everything Vegetarian (which I don't have but have cooked several recipes from) or Veganomicon (mine is filthy from being used so much!)
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:57 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 320/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

I have heard sooooo many good things from tons of people about Veganomicon
Amber1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:01 PM   #9  

I'm a big fan of Sarah Kramer's books. I have one on my desk right now.

I think my favorite is book is still Vegan Vittles. Their tvp burger is awesome! We should have some for lunch tomorrow. Yum Yum!

Last edited by wendyland; 02-20-2009 at 09:02 PM.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:43 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 185/179/135

Height: 5' 5"

Linda McCartney's cookbooks aren't vegan, but they are vegetarian. (She uses some dairy products.) I love them - - ALL of them. My first was "Linda McCartney on Tour" and it has some fabulous recipes. I have used that book more than any other I own except Joy of Cooking (I used to eat meat). At least half the recipes are vegan and are marked with a "V". I should warn you, however, that it is not meant to be a low-calorie or light-cooking cookbook. But, most are fairly healthy and very, very tasty!
Flower girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:01 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 175/165/130

Height: 5"3

I'm going to recommend a couple of "specialty" cookbooks.

The Uncheese Cookbook by Joanne Stepaniak. You can also get The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook. It has cheese sauces, hard cheeses, even a recipe for brie! It's a great cookbook for learning how to make your favorite cheese substitutes. Some use soy, some use flour, some use nutritional yeast.

My other favorite cookbook as of late is Vegetarian Soups for All Seasons by Nava Atlas. All the soups are actually vegan. It's arranged by season, so you can be sure to use "in season" (aka CHEAP!) ingredients. As a busy student, I have really enjoyed learning how to make soup that lasts for days. It also ensures that I eat my veggies!

If you're looking for more of a "hip" and entertaining cookbook, try How It All Vegan or Garden of Vegan. They contain some great recipes, as well as amusing anecdotes.
idrinkcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote