Old 01-07-2009, 03:00 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 185/180/155

Height: 5'8"

Default Super easy vegetarian recipes

I'm lazy, and don't like to cook. Spending 10 minutes preparing something is too long for me. I'm fine with putting rice in the rice cooker, setting it, and coming back when it's done. Easy stuff like that I don't have to think about.

What are some really easy, low cal, high bulk vegetarian recipes? One I eat sometimes is half a block of tofu, uncooked, sprinkled with green onion, sesame seeds, and soy sauce. Except it takes forever to properly wash and then chop green onions lol. I don't like fresh veggies cause I'm paranoid about food cleanliness, and it takes a long time to wash them right.

Any ideas?
Athendta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:13 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 76.2/76/58kg

Height: 5ft6/1.67m

Last night I cooked an old favourite, what I like to call a chilli, but I'm not really sure what it is...

I chopped some garlic, onion and peppers and fried them in oil in a deep frying pan, spray oil would probably work too, or even water. The I added some sugarsnap peas, half a jar of tomato sauce, chilli flakes, cumin powder, fresh parsley and quorn mince and simmered it for maybe 15-20 mins, and hey presto!

I served it on it's own to me, and with couscous for my partner because he needs more calories than I do.

Maybe you can find some more recipes in the sticky? I haven't checked them yet myself, but there are probably some simple ones there too

edit. I think I added half a tin of mixed beans as well

Last edited by tiggy123; 01-07-2009 at 09:44 AM.
tiggy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:52 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 76.2/76/58kg

Height: 5ft6/1.67m

Just remembered the days when I was a student, I used to make jacket potatoes in the microwave: just prick holes into a biggish potato with a fork, then pop in the microwave for 7-10 minutes on full power until it's soft inside. Then just cut a cross on it and add your favourite topping, mine is baked beans with chilli powder. Low fat cottage cheese is good too if you eat dairy. Then lay it on a bed of prewashed and cut salad.

Another good quick one is: powdered mash potato to which you just add boiling water and maybe a teaspoon of veg broth powder, and at the same time you can fry veggie sausages for 5 mins whilst you have a small microwaveable bag of frozen veg in the microwave.
tiggy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:56 AM   #4  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

I love using this website for veg recipes, go to the Quick and Easy portion!

http://vegweb.com/index.php?action=recipecategories
jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:59 AM   #5  

Check these out. They're vegan, but they're super easy.
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:14 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Here is a listing of relatively quick recipes:
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/labels/...37;20Easy.html

My favorite "quick meal" is...

3 cans of beans (a variety of either black, pinto, cannelini, kidney, black eyed peas)
1 can of diced tomatoes with liquid
Some dried onions
Some dried garlic
Some chili powder

Some optional ingredients:
Frozen diced peppers
Pre-sliced mushrooms
TVP

Open the cans of beans, rinse them in a strainer. Throw all the ingredients in a pot. You may want to add a little water but generally the water from the diced tomatoes is enough. Simmer for 20 minutes, stir ocassionally. Serve over rice or other grain.

Another option is canned chickpeas and use indian spices (garam masala, curry, etc) instead of chili powder. Another option is to use dried lentils, add a bit more water and simmer for 40 minutes.

I also live on frozen veggies. They are super easy, just open a bag, put on a plate and microwave and you have veggies. Green beans are one of my favorite frozen veggies.

Your rice cooker can also cook more than rice. I recommend experimenting with other grains as well like quinoa, amaranth, barley, etc.

Last edited by nelie; 01-07-2009 at 10:16 AM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

A favorite is pita pizzas.

A key step is to toast the pita first in the oven until it's crispy, then add tomato sauce and veggies, and cheese if you want, and put back in the oven to heat through. Usually I use onion, bell pepper and mushrooms - I saute them first (you can even do it in a nonstick pan with no oil). Pineapple is nice too.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:20 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 185/180/155

Height: 5'8"

Ooo these are all really good ideas! Thanks guys!
Athendta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:20 AM   #9  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

English Muffin Pizza: olives & mushrooms w/ pizza sauce. (cheese if you eat it) or any toppings.

Tortilla, with Spanish Rice, Refried Beans, hot sauce & guacamole.

Sandwich: My fav is alfalfa sprouts, avocado, cucumber, onion & tomato w/vegenaise & spicy mustard.

English Muffin w/ fake turkey, cucumber, banana peppers, pickle, vegenaise & spicy mustard.

Smoothie: Frozen bag of Mixed Fruit, Orange Juice & a little sugar or stevia. Blend. Quick and delicious.

Spaghetti: Noodles, Spaghetti Sauce & Mushrooms.

Burger: Soy Burger (any of your fav, boca etc) KEtchup, mustard, onion, tomato, lettuce, & bun.

Kashi has some really great frozen meals that are vegetarian that you can try to

Crunchy Veggie Wraps:

4- 10in Wheat Tortillas
1/4 c Light Cream Cheese/ or Non Dairy Cream Cheese
1c Shredded Spinach
1/4c alfalfa sprouts
1/2c shredded red cabbage
1/2c sliced avocado
1/4c chopped tomatoes
1/2c diced cucumbers
2 tbsp finely diced red onion
sea salt & pepper to taste

Spread 1 tbsp of cream cheese on each tortilla. Sprinkle an even amount of the remaining ingredients on each wrap and roll up.

Creamy Dill Potato Salad:

3 lbs. Red potatoes
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 celery stalks, finely diced
1 cup vegan mayonnaise (try Vegenaise)
1 small red onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
1 1/2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1-2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
• Place the potatoes in a large pot and fill with enough water to completely cover the potatoes. Season with the salt and bring to a boil. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes, until the potatoes are tender but not falling apart.
• Drain the potatoes in a colander and let cool.
• Combine all the remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
• Cut the cooled potatoes into 1-inch pieces and carefully add them to the bowl, stirring until coated.

Simple Blueberry Muffins:

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup soy milk
1/4 cup oil
1 cup frozen blueberries

Preheat oven to 400F. Place baking cups in a muffin pan.
Combine flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder together in a mixing bowl. Add soy milk and oil. Mix.
Fold in blueberries.
Pour into baking cups and bake for 25-30 minutes.
Makes: about 8 muffins, Preparation time: 5 minutes, Cooking time: 30 minutes

Last edited by jillnicole03; 01-08-2009 at 08:21 AM.
jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote