Old 11-06-2008, 12:18 PM   #61  

Height: 5'2''

Lol, yes i meant 111.8. The 1 key must have been sticky. I didnt suddenly shrink to 11.8 pounds. I think that would make me a 2 month old

Good job everyone on your weight loss! Erin, I'm sure you'll lose next week, keep up the good work! Darby- I like your idea of working out everyday for 21 days! Right now I'm just trying to do every other day. I downloaded the vegan podcosts that someone reccomended the other day and I listen to them as I run. It helps the time past and is educational :-p (I'm a nerd at heart)

Well I'm off the make dinner and then possibly a healthy vegan apple pie and I'm not going to tell anyone its vegan and we will see what they think
tigger175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:29 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

Darby, I've never done pilates, but I LOVE your 21-day exercise challenge to yourself. I may have to do the same!

SW=143.5
CW=141

I don't really trust EITHER of those weights... but I like the trend so I'm sticking with them! =)
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #63  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

You guys are doing great! Remember maintaining your weight is also a SUCCESS!!!

Iris- Way to kick week1 in the tush!

jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:42 PM   #64  
Vegan from Planet Vega

Height: 5' 10"

Back from hiatus. Sorry girls.

I was doing so good!

Just a quick overview...half of the reason that I stopped half way through is because of certain things like my eating disorder and other self destructive behaviors rearing their ugly heads. I gained some weight back but I don't think it was too much. I'll be posting the numbers later on...probably tomorrow.

Good luck to everyone and congrats to the winners of the last challenge!
THE Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:35 PM   #65  
Progress not perfection

The HEATHER!!! back!

Don't give up on us We love you and miss you! Let us be your support
Old 11-06-2008, 04:50 PM   #66  
Haley wants to run!

Height: 5'9"

well somehow i gained 3lbs i dont see how ive been exercising and counting i know i had a few pieces more red licorice on halloween than i should have but certainly not 3 POUNDS WORTH im about to pull my hair out nothing i do works anymore!!
Haley8203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:51 PM   #67  
Vegan from Planet Vega

Height: 5' 10"

Thanks Jill!

I'm back for sure this time. I had to sit back and re-evaluate ALOT of things, and I think I'm finally ready to get back on track
THE Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:03 PM   #68  

Hey everyone,

I have some good news. The vegan apple pie (which was also no sugar added) was a big hit! No one seemed to miss the butter/sugar! I'm really happy that food can be healthy and still taste so good. Plus, making the pie required cutting and peeling six apples and I got to eat the skins of all six apples which has a good amount of fiber and antioxidants in it I was so full from eating the skins I hardly had room for pie lol.

On the down side I got invited to dinner tomorrow night and the host told me she is making tuna lasagna = fish + cheese = not on my plan. I'm wondering if there will be some sides I could just eat, like veggies (but she'd probably put butter on them which I'm also not eating). This is the first time my new lifestyle has been a problem for my social life. I'm thinking I'll just eat something at my house and go over so I can hang out with everyone still. Hopefully it isnt a big deal.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:19 PM   #69  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger175 View Post
I have some good news. The vegan apple pie (which was also no sugar added) was a big hit! No one seemed to miss the butter/sugar! I'm really happy that food can be healthy and still taste so good. Plus, making the pie required cutting and peeling six apples and I got to eat the skins of all six apples which has a good amount of fiber and antioxidants in it I was so full from eating the skins I hardly had room for pie lol.
Was there any sweetener in it?
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:21 PM   #70  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

THE Heather, so glad you're back. Stick around no matter what's going on, y'hear?

JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:32 PM   #71  

S/C/G: 270/209/170

Height: 5ft 7

tigger- Ive been vegetarian for 14 years, and vegan for 4 years. When I have been in that situation where I am going to someones house and I know they wont have food for me, I make something to bring for everyone to try. I purposely dont use the word vegan because it scares people from trying my cooking. Then, not only do I have food to eat, but also they get to taste vegan food and realize that meat/dairy-less food can be just as delicious.

Have you guys ever seen Sarah Kramer`s cookbooks? Garden of Vegan, La Dolce Vegan, or Viva La Vegan?
They are amazing and have sooo many easy recipes that omnivores love. I live by those books. All my meal planning is out of them. Completely delicious for vegans and meateaters.
erinmagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:26 AM   #72  

Julie- no, for sweetness i used 100% pure apple juice and cinnamon. Here's the recipe for the filling:

Apple Pie (one pie)
• 6-8 apples, sliced
• 1 Tblsp lemon juice
• 1 cup apple juice
• ½ cup raisins (I didn't add these)
• 1 tsp vanilla (I didn't have this either- I'm at school and have limited ingredients so I just leave stuff out when I don't have it and hope for the best)
• 1 Tblsp cinnamon (I probably used more like 2.5 because I love cinnamon)
• 1 ½ Tblsp arrowroot, dissolved in ½ cup apple juice (I used 2.5 tblsp flour instead because I didn't have any arrowroot)
• 2 pie crusts

Prepare crusts. Preheat oven to 375. Sprinkle apple slices with lemon juice. Combine raisins, apple juice, vanilla and cinnamon in saucepan and simmer 5 minutes. Add arrowroot mixture and stir constantly until thickened. Fill crust with apples. Pour in raisin sauce. Cover with top crust, flute edges with a fork and poke small holes in the top with a fork. Bake 35-40 minutes.

Erinmagill- Yeah I'm just telling people I'm a vegetarian (although I am not eating dairy or eggs) because as Jill pointed out to me the term vegan really applies to a whole lifestyle and not just one's diet. Since I'm still adjusting my lifestyle, I'll just stick with vegetarian. I thought if someone complained about the pie being bad I would just say it's a healthy recipe Perhaps I will bring something over to share, thats a good idea. And thanks for the book suggestions I've been looking for some to get for myself as a christmas present!
Old 11-07-2008, 08:25 AM   #73  
Progress not perfection

Haley... don't give up sweetie Ok.. first if you know you have not ate 10,500 calories extra since the last time you weighed.. then don't worry about it. Maybe TOM is coming, maybe you had to much salt & are retaining water, or maybe you've gained some muscle. Don't pull your hair out DO you keep a food journal?

TheHeather... Good, because we missed you!! I know in the past when I messed up major, I wouldn't log into the site, because I thought what the heck would I say? Hey I just ate my whole fridge, wahts up with you all? Obviously that isn't funt o say.. but you know what if thats how you feel just talk to us about girl things, it doesnt have to be about weight. Really if you ever need any extra support, send me an email!

tigger... mmm sounds yummmy. Yeah I'm still not use to eating out, or at other peoples house. Its stressful because I dont want to be rude and picky, but yeah if you go full that'd probably be the best, or ask to bring your own side dish for everyone

Erin.. I've never seen those cook books.. but I really don't cook much lol I'm just starting to TRY!

OK EVERYONE YESTERDAY WAS WEIGH IN DAY.
YES THURSDAYS ARE WEIGH IN DAY NOW... SO IF YOU HAVE NOT WEIGHED IN YET.. MAKE SURE YOU WEIGH IN TODAY!! I WILL POST OUR FIRST WEIGH IN AROUND 4PM ET.

Go team!

Last edited by jillnicole03; 11-07-2008 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:16 AM   #74  

I love Sarah Kramer's books. I have all of them except for the newest one.

As far as eating out at other people's homes: Yes, veganism is a lifestyle, at least for me, but many vegans DO eat vegan for health reasons only. Sometimes if I'm in a sticky social situation I will say I'm eating vegan for health. I'm not somebody who likes to argue and discuss my veganism, so I just make things easy on myself. So explain to your hostess that you're eating differently and ask if you can bring a delicious dessert or dish to share.

Haley-hang in there. My weight is up 1.5 lbs from yesterday and I KNOW I ate well and exercised, so it's just water weight or salt (I made a stew with lots of canned beans and veggies). Weight isn't usually a consistent downward trend. It's often up and down. If you know in your heart that you're doing the right things than the weight will come off. If you think you've been snacking too much or eating the wrong things, you know what you need to do.

THEHeather-hang in there, and remember, we're here for you.

Tigger-you're pie looks delicious. I'm thinking of trying it for Thanksgiving.

Well, today will be my 5th day of my 21 day exercise challenge. My body is hurting, but I'm feeling pretty proud of myself. I used to have some of the Winsor pilates dvds, but I didn't have any room to do them, so I gave them away! Now I have room, but no dvds. I might check out the thrift store to see if I can find some. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a dvd I might not like.

Alright, I'm off to work out. Have a great Friday!
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:28 AM   #75  
Vegan

S/C/G: 255/Ticker/165

Height: 5'8"

Want something to bring that nobody will know is healthy?

I am on a very low fat, vegan food, no oil diet (for health, but ethically as a side effect )so imagine my limitations.

I made these the other day and went out of my mind they were so delicious. NOBODY would know these incredibly moist and fudgy brownies were healthy. I'm not even a batter eating person and when I took a little taste I about licked the bowl clean.

The *'s are my adaptations.

From Fatfreevegan.com

Bryanna's Almost No-Fat Brownies

Recipe By :Bryanna Clark Grogan
Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts Fatfree

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup Sucanat -- or sugar
4 ounces medium-firm tofu -- OR firm or extra-firm SILKEN tofu (reduced fat if you like)* I used Silken Extra Firm
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa -- (or carob powder if you insist)
1/3 cup flour
4 teaspoons powdered EnerG egg replacer
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon instant coffee -- or coffee substitute granules ( *I used 1/4 cup of coffee instead of the 1/4 cup water and granules)
2 teaspoons vanilla -- (*2 to 3, I went 3)
1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar (*I used Balsamic, it it enhances the chocolate flavor, but regular will do also)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In the food processor mix until smooth the sugar, tofu, cocoa, water, egg replacer, coffee granules, vanilla and vinegar.

In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder and soda. Add the cocoa mixture and mix briefly. Add nuts, if using.

Pour the mixture into a nonstick or lightly-oiled or sprayed 7x11" or 8x8" cake pan. Spread evenly. Bake 25 minutes. Cool on a rack in the pan, then cut into 16 bars.

*I used a non stick silicon 8x8 pan (I love these!) So I did not have to oil the pan. Came out like a dream.

Source:
""The Almost No-Fat Holiday Cookbook""

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 75 Calories (kcal); 1g Total Fat; (7% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 123mg Sodium

Last edited by kierr; 11-07-2008 at 09:32 AM.
kierr is offline   Reply With Quote