Old 07-29-2008, 05:40 PM   #1  
busty nerd

S/C/G: 210/206/133

Height: 5'5"

Default veggie scotch eggs

boiled eggs
cauldron foods lincolnshire veggie sausages (in the UK - for other countries try to find a nice squishy type of veggie sausage 'meat' that can be moulded easily)

boil eggs, brush outsides with water and coat in flour. mould sausage around the eggs; brush with raw egg and coat with breadcrumbs (or leave this out if you want to cut calories/avoid bread). bake 20-30 minutes on low-medium heat (i've never actually made these baked, only fried, but i reckon that time should be about right - test and see).

say 1 sausage per egg (in fact you will probably use less than that) = 106 calories
boiled egg ~ 80 calories.
that's about 100 calories less than a commercial scotch egg, and with no scary additives. and approximately 4.2g of saturated fat compared to 18.2 g for the fried, breadcrumbed pork option.

http://www.thedailyplate.com/nutriti...eggie-sausages
http://hungeraway.com/popular/nutrit...6&keyword=eggs

a 'super-food' alternative to breadcrumbs might be to encrust the sausage in toasted seeds, keeping in mind that seeds are high-calorie.

Last edited by froggie83; 07-29-2008 at 05:42 PM.
froggie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:45 PM   #2  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Oh THANKYOU! I simply adore scotch eggs and will try this immediately!
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/205/145

Height: 5'3"

I have never heard about scotch eggs (veg or otherwise) but this sounds interesting. I do better with high protein breakfasts and this would work for me! In the US, LightLife makes a sausage substitute, but it comes in a plastic tube with a lot more than one serving in it.

About how much "sausage" is used per egg?? (the links don't appear to have this info)
tofuhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

I've never eaten/heard of/seen a scotch egg either... but they sound great, especially baked, with the veggie sausage! I've got a dozen eggs that I need to use up in the next week and a half before we move, as well as a bunch of panko I can bread them with, so I'll definitely try this out.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I had scotch eggs as appetizers in a restaurant once, and I was amazed at how good they were. I have to try this.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:07 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

What kind of veg sausage works with this? I want to try, but boca crumbles or links or patties wouldn't work.

Let me know if anyone has made these successfully... what kind of "sausage" did you use? I'd like to try it!

Thanks!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:08 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 215/205/145

Height: 5'3"

Just finished my first batch of these - and it won't be the last! I used LightLife "sausage" (lightlife.com has a not-very-helpful store locator) and one tube covers 5 eggs. If you're really patient, you might be able to smash the "sausage" thinner to cover 6, but I'm not.

I used just eggs and "sausage" (no eggwash and no breadcrumbs) and baked at 350 for 30 minutes.
tofuhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:00 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

You could also use grated parmesean cheese as a substitute for bread crumbs.

Ive never heard of these either but I am sooo going to try them! Thanks for sharing

Randi
I'm joining my 1st 3FC 5k!
!Go Veggies!
S.A.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:55 PM   #9  

At Walmart today, I found veggie sausage in a tube, in the produce section (with the refrigerated veggie cheese and tofu). The brand name is Gimme Lean (three groans for the bad Jimmy Dean pun).

As soon as I saw it, I thought of this thread, so I picked up a tube ($3.69, not too bad, I thought).

Hubby saw it in the cart, asked what it was for, and I told him about the recipe. He made a skeptical face, and said "I'm not eating any." Jeez, the four year in him is so darned annoying. I answered, "good, more for me."

I figured I'd boil the eggs tonight and do the baking tomorrow for breakfast. My guess is hubby will change his mind when he smells them baking.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:21 AM   #10  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
At Walmart today, I found veggie sausage in a tube, in the produce section (with the refrigerated veggie cheese and tofu). The brand name is Gimme Lean (three groans for the bad Jimmy Dean pun).
LOL sadly I never got the "jimmy dean" reference How did you like it? I just tried their hamburger last night in pasta sauce and must say it's better then the morningstar crumbles.
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:08 PM   #11  

They were really good. The "sausage" had a little too much sage for me (but almost all sausage does), so next time I think I would blend in more garlic to balance out the flavor for my tastes. I really liked that it wasn't super salty.

Hubby didn't change his mind, they looked too weird. They did bake up to resemble some sort of fossilized dianosaur egg or geode. If we put them in the garden, they'd look like rocks.

So they looked a little weird, they tasted great.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:19 PM   #12  

Height: 5'7"

I LOVE the Gimmie Lean tube sausage stuff, and so does DH. There is something about it, maybe it's the sage kaplods mentioned, that I just love.

I have formed it into patties and pan-sauteed them with breakfast, I have crumbled it up and added it to rice, I have made little meatballs with it for both soup and pasta. I am a fan.
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:00 PM   #13  

I'm not a vegetarian, but I've never understood the sense (or the expense) of "hunk o' meat" eating. Nor have I understood the common fear of soy and other non-animal proteins that is so common among other non-vegetarians.

I mean, the first time I told hubby there was tvp in the taco mix along with the beef, he looked at me like I had poisoned him (even though he didn't notice the difference until I told him). He was only "converted," after we had unexpected dinner guests and I stretched the taco filling with lots of tvp and beans, and one of hubby's friends asked for the recipe, and wasn't at all put-off by the tvp - instead he asked where he could get it. It was like hubby was a 12 year old boy, and if his friends thought tvp was "cool" then it was suddenly cool with him too.

My husband did say that the eggs "smelled good," so I'm guessing by the third time I make them, he will want to try them. I swear, I think he's waiting to see if it's "safe" to eat, by watching me eat it a few times, before deciding to try it.

At least he's better than my mom "What if I don't like it?" Hubby likes teasing my mom, so he'll say "you'll die." (She doesn't think that's very funny).