Old 07-31-2011, 07:23 PM   #16  

Didn't quite know where to put this, so, I'm putting it here, since starting today, I'm doing a modified McDougall diet. I'm doing the regular plan, just adding a Tbsp. ground flaxseed, and, perhaps a nut based salad dressing in minimal amounts. That should keep my fat at maybe 15 percent. I'm taking hormone replacement and psych meds, and have gained a lot of weight, and no other approach seems to work. I just finished making a Mexican pasta dish with salsa, corn, and kidney beans, that I'm very much looking forward to having for dinner, along with some frozen broccoli. I will continue to post my progress here, in order to keep motivated.
Anyone else?
Amie
jazzmegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:01 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 197/185/123-125

Height: 5'1"

Hi Amie,
I'm still on McDougall and doing pretty good. I've also modified mine a bit by adding a tsp of flaxseed oil to my salad dressing every day (both for the Omega 3's and also because I just can't stomach a fat-free salad dressing). But that still keeps my fat level at below 15%.

My basic menu:
Morning: oatmeal with a little agave and cinnamon and dash of soy milk
Mid-Morning: baked chickpeas and fruit
Afternoon: Cooked whole grain and cooked veggies (microwaved or steamed, whatever I'm in the mood for)
Mid-Afternoon: baked chickpeas and fruit
Evening: salad and mashed potatoes
Night: whole grain bread with a bit of jam on them

Tam
tammay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:14 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Do you bake the chickpeas with the fruit, and if so, tell us more?
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:56 PM   #19  

Height: 5'10.5"

I just wanted to say I've started to follow the mcdougall plan for two days and I've already lost a pound off a loooong plateau in m journey so far. And the best part is I was calorie counting, eating everything before and this is the first time I haven't been hungry AT ALL. I've been stuffed. And I've been stuffed full of sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, brown rice, pasta and quinoa. Oh and lots of beans and lentils! Comfort foods! My favorite. He has a great video online filmed in 2010 called 'the starch solution'. My skin has been clearing up which is great too. I been getting fuller and fuller every meal (I know, it's only been two days haha) as my cravings are subsiding. Once I have made some good progress I'm going to allow myself some chocolate and peanut butter but I'm so happy. My skin looks so awesome! Good luck everyone, give it a try for a week and see what happens. What's a week anyways?

Cheers!
purdumse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:45 PM   #20  
wife2abadge

Height: 5'4"

I looked up Dr. McDougall after he was mentioned in the movie "Forks Over Knives". I tried the Eat to Live approach, but missed grains, sweet potatoes, squash, etc too much. One cup of either per day wasn't enough for me. And I couldn't eat all of those greens. I have been playing around with lunches that are starchy veg (potato, sweet potato, potato, peas, corn), whole grain (brown rice or millet so far), and green/yellow veg -- sometimes 1/4c of kidney/black/white beans. I have to say that I haven't gotten the 4pm munchies at all, even when I don't add any fat or beans into my lunch.

I think I'll start the MWL plan, but modify it with a T of ground flaxseed in my oatmeal and a few walnuts in my veggies. I know he's all "NO FAT", but he did write his books a loooong time ago, and he was originally treating heart patients who really need to have a nonfat diet.
wife2abadge is offline   Reply With Quote