Old 05-22-2008, 01:54 PM   #1  
Vegetarian Cal Counting

S/C/G: 269/Ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

Default Do you count calories??

I'm struggling a bit getting myself back on track with eating and getting in the right mind set. I have been counting calories and given up meat working towards giving up all animal products. I wondering what all of you do, do you count calories? I have been doing a lot of reading, Eat to Live, Food Revolution, and Susan Powter's The Politics of Stupid. They all seem to say just eat whole real foods, don't worry about calories just keep fat low. So now I'm torn between the two ideas...counting calories or just eating whole foods in any amount. Anyone have an opinion?
Switzie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: 5'10"

I'm also working toward Vegan eating, but Nayonaisse still has lots o' calories. Yes, if you do the super low-fat (10% or less), no added vegetable oil vegan eating I don't think you need to count.

Me, big fan of olive oil. I type it all in over at FitDay.com. When I get to 1200 I stop (although, I usually end up between 1200 and 1400, because I think 1200 is my 'low end', me being QUITE THE CHUBBY GIRL and being 5'10")
BeckyC104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:40 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Calories are important but I struggle with counting them which is probably why I haven't really been losing. Sometimes you can keep calories at a low level by eating low fat, vegan, whole foods but it is possible to go overboard.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:28 PM   #4  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I rabidly count calories. I count them more than once just to be sure. I can get really fat on whole foods, no problem. But I have a binge eating problem I have to manage and counting calories gives me control. Maybe it's not for everyone, but I would be all over the place if I didn't count.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 225/212/185

Height: 5'8"

Talking

I'm with Josephine on the whole calorie counting issue. I have to count.
Even though lots of unprocessed whole foods are healthy, calorically, they still retain a value. Carrots have a calorie count, spinach, broccoli, cherries, etc. Granted, the count is relatively low, but going along with dieting experience, the more I deprived myself of guilty indulgences, the greater my cravings. I say, if you can maintain yourself at a decent caloric intake, using whole foods incorporated with minor daily indulgences, it just may work. Plus, it may give you time to either transition, or at least adopt a healthier way of eating.

Salud!

VanillaBean82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:35 PM   #6  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Oh, my - I have to count. I got very fat on a vegetarian, healthy, whole-foods diet. Portion control was a REAL problem for me.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:06 AM   #7  

i hate counting calories. I'm more a fan of writing it down and eyeing my portion control. I know what it looks like when I eat too much.
Honeygrl898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:53 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I'm another person who gains weight when trying to lose weight by eating only healthy foods. Counting calories works for me.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:34 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I count calories and that is the reason I made my goal last December. And I still count calories, I want to maintain that loss.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:14 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/185/123-125

Height: 5'1"

I've struggled with counting calories and not counting calories. My problem is that I have an obsessive personality (not OCD, but obsessive ) and when I start to get into numbers I get into the "how low can I go" game and it backfires on me. I find that when I stay away from numbers (calories, scale) and just focus on eating whole vegan foods and eating until I'm full and being conscious of where I'm getting my calories (i.e., no potato chips ) then I tend to stick to a healthy eating plan better and I lose weight, regardless of calories. I can't say how much (no numbers, remember ) but I know from my clothes that I definitely am.

So for June I've gone back to not counting anything but eating whole vegan foods and not worrying about nutrients (to a degree - obviously, I'm not eating peanut butter all day and nothing else) or numbers. My other big issue other than numbers is binge eating. I think psychologically not counting takes the pressure off of me and the "deprived" feeling because I'm eating to satisfy my hunger, not focusing on some arbitrary number and playing the "how low can you go" game.

Tam
tammay is offline   Reply With Quote