Old 03-11-2008, 09:38 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 274/259/135

Height: 5'4

i've read it (my cousin had bought it). I was actually really fun to read! you have to take it with a grain of salt, it could be seen as just a huge ad for PETA! but there are def some great ideas in it. i've started eating much less meat and processed foods. I also eat alot more fruits (they talk about how amazing fruit is for you , yes we all knew this, but also how easily your body digests it) so it's not jsut about not eating meat products (they insist you convert to veganism) but that you stay away from processed foods, refind sugar, etc, etc. and it's a 'no excuses' type of attidude. i.e. 'no you dont need a cup of coffee to make you feel human in the morning, you're just being weak and youre addicted and if you feel that bad without it, than it's b/c you eat crap and dont take care of your body' type of comments

it's a short fun read, even if it's not really the plan for you, you may be able to pull some good ideas from it
DCchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:30 AM   #32  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

I read the book. It is crude, I think they were trying to be "down and dirty" re: the real truth. I and my husband had to put the book down during the meat industry chapters. We both acknowledge that we don't need to eat meat-- but we both love it!!
One thing I liked about the rant and rave (I agree, parts of it did seem very extreme) is that the authors acknowledge that most veggies like the taste of meat but made a choice and commitment to avoid it due to health and or conscious reasons.

here's some good news on another note-- I weighed myself today after spiraling out of control for a few months. It was not as devastating as I thought and it's one more step forward in the right direction!!

Last edited by kittycat40; 03-12-2008 at 10:32 AM.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:49 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 225/213/150

Height: 5'6

I read this book and am honestly SO glad that i did. If i had known ahead of time that it was going to try to convert me to veganism, i never would have opened it. I've had friends try to convince me that being a vegetarian was the way to go and it has always made me angry. I'm glad i had no idea. The best message i think i came away from this book with was don't be an idiot. Read a label, read ingredients. I mean i read labels anyway, but never paid all that much attention to ingredients. Plus, the book actually did convince me to attempt veganism mainly because of the hormones and antibiotics pumped into the animals we eat/whose eggs and milk we eat. So, i tried it. And honestly, i am so glad i did. Between giving up artificial sweeteners, caffeine, and becoming a vegan, i get fewer headaches, fewer stomach aches, i'm more regular, my skin has gotten even better, i'm losing weight more quickly, i have more energy, and overall i just feel better. I've had a few friends convert to veganism just after seeing me and realizign how much it has helped me.
Of course there are things in this book that some people won't agree wtih, but as the main message says, think for yourself!
nutrition junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:43 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 170/158/120

Height: 5'6"

i felt like it was funny, and that they made some awesome points about artificial sweeteners, industry farming and animal abuse, organic vs non-organic, and a lot of other stuff. The only problem I had with it is that I feel like after they've made their point, I can't go back to the book for any deeper understanding. For any additional questions I had I went to other books and websites, so I can at least say it got me to do some more research and take a really hard look at what I eat and how it affects not only my body, but the environment as well as what kind of CEOs and shareholders are getting my money.
eebede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:16 AM   #35  

I'm still having trouble giving up the dairy.
Your doing great it looks like nutrition junkie!
2muchbackend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:08 AM   #36  

I have skinny B**ch and the companion cookbook. I like them both, but I don't think that we should rely on meat subs. To much processes soy isn't good. I believe more in the whole foods aproach.
Saffronnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:52 PM   #37  
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Height: 5'2"

I just finished with "Skinny B*tch" and I enjoyed it. I've been semi-vegetarian for many years and this book helped me to decide to go full time with being vegetarian (though I'm not ready to give up all dairy yet). I have no desire to be "skinny" (it just won't ever happen anyway) and I try not to be a b*tch ...

If you read the VERY last page of the book, after the index, etc. They say, "P.S. Wait! We have a confession to make. We really couldn't care less about being skinny. Don't get scared or upset: you will definitely lose weight if you adopt the Skinny B*tch lifestyle. However, our real hope is for you to become healthy. We don't want anyone to be obsessed with getting skinny. ... No matter what we do, most of us will never look like supermodels or celebrities. And accepting that will make our lives a whole lot better. ... Take excellent care of the body you were blessed with, and love, love, love it!"
Cheree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:56 PM   #38  
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saffronnile View Post
I have skinny B**ch and the companion cookbook. I like them both, but I don't think that we should rely on meat subs. To much processes soy isn't good. I believe more in the whole foods aproach.
Saffronnile, I'm new at this, how do you make sure you get your protein in? What is a typical days worth of food for you? How many grams of protein do you try for? (If anyone wants to resond, that's great too.) Right now, I'm lacto ovo.

Thanks!
Cheree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:09 PM   #39  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

From what I've read, we don't need as much protein as you may think. One really good book to read is Thrive which was written by a vegan world class triathelete.

I get about 20% protein per day without meat subs.

I occasionally eat tofu (once a week, usually when eating out). I eat hemp protein powder in my morning shakes. I eat a variety of veggies, fruits, legumes and whole grains. I don't feel I lack protein even for those days when I do heavy weight lifting.

Last edited by nelie; 04-30-2008 at 08:09 PM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:43 PM   #40  

The authors of the book are going to be on "Ellen" tv show tomorrow. Friday May 23.I have not read the book yet but will watch the show.
nysparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:19 PM   #41  
loves to lurk

S/C/G: 209/206/150

Height: 5'9"

Default Skinny B**ch

I just read this book, and I liked much of it. I was already a (mostly-)vegan for ethical reasons prior to getting the book, and I knew what to expect from it after reading reviews on Amazon.

IMHO, the authors had no intention of writing a "diet book" when they started, they wanted to raise awareness about the rampant cruelty found in the meat industry. The health aspects of avoiding animal products were a close second in their priorities, and they came up with the title for shock value to sell books -- brilliant! Who would buy a book called, "Go Vegan and be Healthier!" if they weren't already interested in a vegan diet? The authors' assumption (and one which I agree with) is that most people aren't aware of the specifics on how that yummy steak got to their plates - or they don't WANT to know the specifics because they KNOW something awful is involved but they know no other way to eat. I am glad that the graphic chapter was included; more people need to know this stuff to help them think about what they are putting into their mouths and whether or not their gustatory pleasure is "worth it" knowing what the animal experienced.

I thought the language was fine - I'm sort of like a drunken sailor myself - and perfectly complimented their no-nonsense, straight up, tough love approach.

They did emphasize meat substitutes and other processed/packaged vegan foods as good options, which I don't agree is more healthy than SAD processed foods... WHOLE foods, the less processed the better, are more optimal for health, IMHO. However, given their target audience (people unfamiliar with eating vegan) and their goal (getting more people to avoid animal products) they needed to include that stuff because foods like that make it a little easier to transition from the SAD to veganism, so I forgive them.
juliemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:30 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

I LOVED it. It was like listening to a bad-a$$ girlfriend, with a smile on her face, just telling you all the truths about yourself, and being brutally and truthfully honest. I do think they should have included more references to their claims, since they are ligitimate claims. But someone reading the book who wasn't familiar with the animal product industry would think they had nothing to back up their claims.

I also have the cookbook- Skinny B*tch in the Kitch, and it's so great. I'm not 100% vegan but love to cook vegan food and make it the majority of my diet.
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:51 PM   #43  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

Right -- I hate that in order to be considered "strong," women are encouraged to become soulless b***hes, especially towards one another; we SHOULDN'T encourage that kind of behavior. Personally, the powerful/strong/determined women *I* respect most (and want to emulate) are those who can have that strength and still be good, kind, gentle people, not "b***hes."

Edit: I haven't read the book, it might be GREAT and totally accurate and everything, but I just HATE the constant use of that word to describe women...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulBliss View Post
I find the title and general tone offensive. I just don't think women need to be portrayed as anymore catty, competitive and jealous, ya know?

Last edited by KLK; 06-24-2008 at 03:54 PM.
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:45 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 157/144/140

Height: 5'5

Default loved it!

I absolutely love Skinny *****! They're soo hilarious! You just can't take it personally when they cuss at you and tell you to "get your cankles to the health food store." It's a book full of tough love!! They encourage you to eat a really clean vegan diet to lose weight without hating life. It works like a charm!!
peacelovetrust1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:09 PM   #45  
on a mission

the only book i ever got rid of.

very condescending and negative.
Salubrious Fervor is offline   Reply With Quote