Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 12:45 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 206/201/135

Height: 5'6"

The ones I saw broke down into about $25 or so a week as well. It seems pretty cheap when you look at it like that.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:10 PM   #17  
it's always something

Mine is $23 a week. But all I got was one small head of red lettuce, a bunch of loose red leaf lettuce (one dinner salad), 2 cucumbers, one bunch of scallions, what looks to be one pound of snow peas, about a half pound of sugar snap peas, and a ball of homemade mozzarella. Does that sound about right?

I might go ahead and set out some tomato and squash plants this weekend. I have a yard, I may as well use it
Old 06-15-2007, 02:22 PM   #18  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Maybe they ran short...I am not sure where you live (I know our Canadian friends pay a LOT more than us US folk and the Midwesterners pay a lot more than I do...I have it pretty good in CA) but I hope they make it up to you and it pays off soon!

I bought the following organic food today:

1 small watermelon
4 bananas
4 vine tomatoes
6 peaches
Old 06-15-2007, 03:47 PM   #19  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

The CSA I was looking into was $26. They are only in their third year, and have doubled their membership over last years'. The do have a fall CSA program of just 8 boxes starting in October. I might look into that, I'd probably end up eating lots more squash and kale.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:06 AM   #20  
paso a paso

S/C/G: 160/125/126

Height: reaching for 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
Mine is $23 a week. But all I got was one small head of red lettuce, a bunch of loose red leaf lettuce (one dinner salad), 2 cucumbers, one bunch of scallions, what looks to be one pound of snow peas, about a half pound of sugar snap peas, and a ball of homemade mozzarella. Does that sound about right?
This sort of box sounds comparable to what we get at the beginning of the season. All CSAs are different, so you could just ask them what to expect later on. With the farm I buy into, we're buying a share in the farm's production that year. We'll get what grows. If the season's late, if there's a small harvest, or if there's a crop failure, we share in that as well as the bumper crops.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:36 PM   #21  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

About once a week, I get an email from Bob Greene's Your Best Life. This one was good advice so I thought I'd share it. You all probably already know it, but it doesn't hurt to be reminded.

Add color to your plate to get more out of your meals
by Dayna Winter, M.S., R.D.

Each fruit and veggie offers different benefits, and you can use its color to figure out which vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients your produce packs. Try to eat every color during the day to make sure you cover your needs. Here's what to look for...

Green: Asparagus, broccoli, green beans, spinach, kale, darker lettuces like romaine, kiwi, honeydew melon
What They Have: Lutein and zeaxanthin for eye health and beta carotene which acts as an antioxidant

White/Green: Artichokes, asparagus, celery, endive, garlic, mushrooms, onions, green pears, green apples
What They Have: Cancer-fighting substances, as well as flavonoids that may reduce your risk of heart disease

Yellow/Orange: Carrots, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, winter squashes, citrus fruit, mangoes, peaches, apricots
What They Have: Bioflavonoids and antioxidants that can protect against cancer and heart disease

Red: Red tomatoes (and foods that contain them, like tomato sauce and salsa), pink grapefruit, watermelon
What They Have: Vitamin C and lycopene, powerful antioxidants that ward off disease

Purple/Blue/Deep Red: Red beets, eggplants, grapes, red cabbage, red pears, plums, prunes, cranberries
What They Have: Anthocyanins, antioxidants that help prevent blood clots and may improve brain function...
Old 06-22-2007, 02:07 PM   #22