Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 07:19 AM   #1  
it's always something

Default Vegan chicks May 21-27

Who's vegan this week?

I'm going out of town today with family and we'll eat out for lunch. Fortunately the place we've chosen offers a fantastic vegetable plate with garden fresh veggies

Last week went pretty well, though I did eat something off plan Friday night

Does anyone have a favorite tip to share? OH I tried something new last week - Soy Feta cheese from Sunergia foods. I was surprised, it was really good!
Old 05-21-2007, 10:24 AM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

way to go, Suzanne 3FC...Calling ahead or looking at the online menu is one of the smartest choices *any* dieter can make and it is a MUST for a vegan eater!

My vegan "tip" would be to be sure to get enough protein in, to keep yourself feeling satisfied and for nutritional purposes. Other than that, my advice is close to what all other diet conscious people's advice is: Plan ahead, have healthy foods ready (lots of snack-ready veggies and fresh fruits)!
Old 05-21-2007, 11:54 PM   #3  
it's always something

Well we went to the restaurant and were greeted by a sign "closed on Mondays" But we found an interesting vegetarian restaurant and I tried something new to me - tempeh! I was impressed! It was in the form of a Cuban style sandwich, with pickles, hot mustard, black bean spread and caramelized onions. The tempeh was lightly fried, though, so it added a few extra calories. It was served on a ciabatta style bun about 5 inches square. I ate half of it, then I took the other half apart and ate the filling and left the bun.

Great tip! I'm having a hard time getting the protein in every day, but will keep working on it.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:20 AM   #4  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

That sandwich sounds delicious. Tempeh Reuben's are great too! I can post a recipe if you like

I had a great day because I planned ahead.

Breakfast was a sprouted English muffin with 1 T. of almond butter and 1/2 a banana.

Then I felt like I needed more protein, so I ate a soy jerky strip. (YUMMY! )

I took an organic "Raw Nectar" bar with me to eat during my 2 hour exam. I had my water bottle with me, full and refilled it again after the exam (I am sure I got an "A" by the way ).

Things got a little busy after that and I waited too long to eat, so I am really glad I loaded up earlier!

I was able to weigh myself and I am happy to report that I have LOST 6 pounds since recommitting to myself!

So, I had a late lunch/early dinner of a large salad (the usual, mixed greens, beets, carrots, hummus, peas, jicama, baked tofu, lemon juice and spices).

Then for dinner I had a hearty red lentil, tomato, zucchini, green beans, onion, corn and peas stew with 1 Dr. Kracker cracker with 1/4 an avocado and a roma tomato sliced on top, with lemon squeezed over it and spices too

I had planned and logged into my "Fitday" that I would have fruit salad but I am getting tired. I might go to bed by 11 and don't eat this late at night usually. Plus, I don't feel hungry!

Have a great night and an even better day tomorrow!
Old 05-22-2007, 09:14 AM   #5  
it's always something

Wooo! Congratulations on 6 pounds lost, that's fantastic!!! Congrats on the test, too! Must be all the brain food I'm impressed with your salad, it sounds so much more balanced than mine. I usually stick to the basics - lettuce, onions, tomatoes, dressing. Sometimes I add smoked tofu and a little rice. I LOVE smoked tofu, but our local natural foods market doesn't carry it. I buy it when I go to a neighboring city (still over an hour away) which I went to yesterday. I bought all of the smoked tofu they had, 8 packages, and it's happily waiting in my freezer

I lost 3 pounds last week. I'm curious if I'll do just as well with a looser vegan diet and not the ETL formula.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:27 PM   #6  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

Hi ladies! I’m glad to see the vegan/ETL movement has come back to the veggie board here. I’ve not had the inclination to do ETL, a little too restrictive for me at this point, but maybe I’ll give it a trial run someday. Congrats on all those pounds lost, I’m jealous!

I’m vegan most of the time, every now and then (usually on my one meal out per week) I’ll let some dairy slip in there, and I’m not really strict about things like egg whites in faux meat products, but I’ve been cooking a lot more and trying to reduce my frozen convenience food lately. A lot more homemade seitan, tofu, beans and TVP for my protein. I’ve yet to make anything at home that I really like with tempeh. I’ve had tempeh bacon at restaurants and liked that, guess I just haven’t mastered its preparation yet.

To give you an idea of my typical weekday eating I’ll post today’s menu:

B: 1 c Kashi GoLean cereal with soymilk and ½ banana

S: ½ pumpkin cranberry nut muffin (recipe is posted on my blog http://sweetbippy.blogspot.com/2007/...way-to-be.html) and ½ banana

L: Spinach salad with mandarin oranges (canned juice packed), 2 T walnuts and sugar free raspberry vinaigrette (a new find – only 5 cal/2T!)
Chickpea Spinach Leek soup (recipe on my blog http://sweetbippy.blogspot.com/2007/...sible-pie.html, post also contains the mac n’ “cheese” recipe posted for dinner)

S: ½ pumpkin cranberry nut muffin and an apple

D: Mac n’ “cheese” with broccoli (made with whole grain pasta)
1 glass red wine

I’ve only lost 2 pounds since recommitting and trying clean up my act (started April 1), but I’m already feeling better and I’m glad to be losing anything at all again.

Keep up the good work, keep eating them veggies!
Old 05-24-2007, 07:57 PM   #7  
it's always something

Your muffins sound delicious!

Today I stuffed some mini bell peppers I sauteed a little bit of sweet Vidalia onions, and mixed them into Tofutti cream cheese. I added finely chopped tomatoes and finely chopped fresh baby spinach. I also added chopped sun-dried tomatoes. I spooned the mixture into the tiny peppers and baked them. They were delicious!
Old 05-25-2007, 11:10 AM   #8