UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 09-14-2006, 07:11 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 111/95/90 (kg)

Height: 5ft 6in

Default Hello Im new and I need help!

Hello
I found this site yesterday. I dont know how much I weigh because I am too scared to go near the scales. All I know is that I have put on LOADS of weight over the past couple of years, since I was diagnosed with depression. I dont know if its the medication thats been making me want to overeat.
I was never skinny, but I was quite happy being a voluptuos size 18, but none of my clothes fit now.
My GP has put me on Xenical, because I have a family history of type 2 diabetes. I started it yesterday, and found that I got very hungry late at night, which is when I have my problems with bingeing. I also need to do more exercise, I have a bad back and sometimes find it difficult to get around.
I am getting married in a couple of months and I want to fit into my wedding dress - its a size 22 but when I tried it on the other day, the zip wouldnt go up My friend is a seamstress and says she can fix it for me but I would rather lose some weight and look good on my wedding day
There are so many diet plans around that I am totally confused So I would be grateful for any tips
Kalijack
kalijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:20 AM   #2  
Slow and steady

S/C/G: 229/-/170 ish

Height: 5' 5"

Welcome KJ

Congrats on your upcoming marriage, we have another member gettting married soon as well....I must buy a hat....

Have you though about joining WW or SW to help with some ideas and to get weighed once a week...we have people that do these on here, and they do very well.

As for exercise, we all need to do it, whether we like it or not, how about starting off walking, not speed walking or anything, just a gentle walk around your area, and you can build up speed and distance as you go, that's awfully good for the back too...

Join us in the Sept chat thread, there's always loads of advice and a laugh going on when we all natter, good luck, shout if you need us, we're here for you.
BritinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:37 AM   #3  
LOSE LOSE LOSE

S/C/G: 323/---/290

Height: 5"5

Hey kalijack

Welcome to 3fc , Congratulations on your inpending wedding. I hope you will find this forum as much support as i have in the last few weeks and if you ever have any questions there is always someone here who can help.

I too am on Xenical as i am trying to lose weight in order to concieve as i have PCOS so i dont ovulate so hopefully the weight loss will make me ovualte again. I have found the Xenical ok cos of being on a low-fat diet , where im not eating no red meat , no crisps (my downfall) and drinking no fizzy drinks at all just flavoured water or tea and the dr has also ordered me to do three 20 mins walk a week , but im finding it easier to have a 2 weeks weigh in with my dr cos she looks through my food diary and tells me what i can do differently. I have lost 8lbs/3kg in just over 2 weeks so dont give up hope hunni , you will get there in no time , the only thing i would say is the xenical takes a lot of perserverance especially the oily stuff but if you can put up with that you should be fine.

If you ever wanna talk just private message me.

Teresa
treezuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:52 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 15st8lbs/11st08lbslbs/11st

Height: 5ft11.5

Hi Kalijack,

I am doing a program called lighterLife (www.lighterlife.com) and have found it the best diet I have ever been on.

The idea behind the program is that for 14+ weeks you eat nothing but the food they give you and in 3 months (about 14 weeks) everyone who sticks to it will loose 3 stone.

I am half way through and I have lost 2 and a half stone and dropped from a size 18 to 14 - almost 12.

It costs £66 per week but its worth it and you would never get the same time as WW or SW.

If you are intrested and want more info have a look at their web site.

You need to be signed onto teh diet by your doctor and every 4 weeks you need to have your BP checked.

I cannot recommend this diet enough - after the 1st week I have never felt hungry.

The only other thing you can have on the diet is Black tea or Coffee and you need to drink 4 litres of water a day.

I hope this helps, if you have any questions those of us on lighterlife have a thread under the UK section of this site
BigBird77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 08:15 AM   #5  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hi and welcome! Yah I think most of us understand how hard it is to get on those scales after a time away from them, yeeks! But stick around here... it gets easier to face since you are with others "in the same boat" -- I was shocked at myself when I got the courage to actually post my weight and even some photos! The support and encouragement helps. I wish you all the best.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 09:17 AM   #6  

Thanks for the welcome
I have been looking at the various plans suggested, and so far WW and SW seem to be the most appealing. Ive also been looking at the Sonoma diet as I like Mediterranean food. The Ligher life seems a bit too drastic, also I cant really afford £66 per week, and I have to cook for my boyfriend too, so I couldnt really avoid food altogether.
I am usually quite good at staying on track during the day, but night time is my downfall I get these awful cravings for sugary stuff, like biscuits and chocolates and it seems that I cant control myself. Last night was really difficult, when I got the cravings I had a small bowl of cereal and a banana, but I woke up at 4am and I was really hungry. I didnt give in though. Now I have the motivation of the wedding so I guess thats helping me. What Im worried about is that once its all over, I will get back to my old habits.
My GP has referred me to an eating disorders group, and I will be starting in October, as she reckons I have binge eating disorder.
Tomorrow I am on a stress management course, to help me with my anxiety and depression. I got a phone call from the person who runs the group and they are going to have a yoga teacher, so it sounds like fun, Im really looking forward to it, and I shall post here to say how I got on. Ive never done yoga before so its a totally new challenge.
I am also trying to go for a walk every day, I have 2 dogs and they need the exercise too, but usually its my boyfriend who takes them out
So I am trying to walk a bit further every day. Also thinking of getting myself a pedometer.
Kalijack
Old 09-14-2006, 09:27 AM   #7  

Welcome.

Do doctors not weigh you when they put you on Xenical? I put on 2 stone whilst on anti d's but I do think that was just me and not them.

I'm fine during the day too I'd be a size 8 until about 7 o'clock.
veggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 09:30 AM   #8  

Yes the dr did weigh me but I told her I didnt want to know
What anti d's were you on Veggie? Im on Prozac, also have these other anti anxiety tablets (cant remember their name) but I dont take them unless Im having a panic attack or something
Old 09-14-2006, 09:32 AM   #9  

Effexor is the only one I've been on. I was on them for 5 years came off them this year.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:36 AM   #10  

Hi Veggie
I think I tried that one before but it just made me want to sleep all the time.
Well done for coming off them How are you coping?
Old 09-14-2006, 10:05 AM   #11  

I'm ok, not great but coming off them was easy (I had heard horror stories).