UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 07-01-2006, 11:22 PM   #1  
Thinking healthy!

S/C/G: 438/436/350

Height: 5'5½"

Question Exercise

Hello all,

Okay, here I am totally psyched about losing weight and becoming healthier - the eating side is going really well (sans the classes - still undecided about SW), but I'm missing one other main component - EXERCISE.

Now, I have been inactive for over 3 years meaning that pre-lifestyle change, I only moved when I absolutely had to, not purposely for health benefits. I did join fitness first once and went everyday for three weeks. I lost a stone alternating between the cross trainer, treadmill and bike under the tutelage of this swedish personal trainer who looked like Arnold Schwarzenegger (he was actually less mean than he looked ).

Anyway, I've gained a lot more weight since then and my mobility is suffering for it, so I need something I can do at home in the meantime (walking outdoors where I live is not really an option at this moment in time - loooonnnnnggg story!). Preferably a cross trainer or a treadmill.

Problem is, they're usually well expensive considering I have to get one that can take my weight. I found a decent priced cross trainer at Argos which costs £278.99 and takes up to 23st 6lbs.

I need one that can take at least 28st which is reasonably priced (none of those ridiculous £1,000.00+ thingys!). I want something for home because if it's there in front of me, I will use it - no excuses. At the moment my exercise consists of walking up and down the stairs at home and work, parking far away from the entrance at my local supermarket, using free weights and stretching.

I would rejoin fitness first, but I have a terrible track record with gyms and I think this will be a good way for me to build a solid routine.

I would really appreciate any help on finding a suitable piece of equipment. I have a budget of £400.00 max. Thanks in advance guys!
Amy Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 11:19 AM   #2  
Paint The World P!nk

S/C/G: 323.5/262/140

Height: 5'9"

My trouble, everything in my price range i'm too heavy for!
One of the main reasons why I haven't signed up to a gym... i'm afraid of breaking equipment!!
But, i've reached the point where I need to do something rather than watching what I eat.
Homersmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 11:43 AM   #3  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

I started off with outdoors walking and using a stationary exercise bike but I've moved on to lifting weights, doing a stretching routine, doing an abs routine and an aerobics class. I also swim once a week and use the gym for lower body work out and treadmill cardio. I've found that I really need variety in my exercise otherwise I get bored - the ONLY thing that is consistent every day is the outdoors walking but thats because I've got a couple of dogs.

Your already doing weights so now you need to get in some cardio and if can't walk outdoors at the moment then perhaps an aerobics exercise video to start off with - then [erhaps you could find out if your local pool do some women or adult only swimming sessions - or perhaps look in to renting a treadmill or other equipment until you've reduced your weight and can buy one of the cheaper ones.

Whatever you chose I really do recommend trying out different stuff until you find something you love.
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 11:46 AM   #4  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homersmummy
One of the main reasons why I haven't signed up to a gym... i'm afraid of breaking equipment!!
No - don't worry about that. Go along and have an induction - I'm sure you'll feel more comfortable with the idea once you see the equipment and meet the staff. The stuff they've got at my gym is not at all like the home exercise equipment.
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 02:32 PM   #5  
Thinking healthy!

S/C/G: 438/436/350

Height: 5'5½"

Homersmummy,

I totally know how you feel! I thought that before I joined a gym and the induction was great. The gym equipment is designed to hold up 550lbs (that's what Arnie told me anyway) and he said the reason for this is to ensure that most shapes and sizes can be accomodated for. The life fitness cross trainer I used at the gym costs a staggering £5,000.00 at john lewis in brent cross!
Amy Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 02:35 PM   #6  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Does a gym near you do a summer offer? I know that there's a scheme (commit to get fit?) that runs most summers where you can get 4 - 6 weeks no strings membership. I know that you said that you have a bad track record with gyms, but if you're not tied into a long term membership it might be a way to kick start your exercise regime.

I know my gym has a 4 week summer membership (that's actually how I joined, 2 years ago), but as I'm in Leeds you might want to findd something closer
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 02:36 PM   #7  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

www.committogetfit.com
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote