UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 07:49 PM   #91  
Paint The World P!nk

S/C/G: 323.5/262/140

Height: 5'9"

I want to start swimming. But, ok... I have FAT legs and well, where i've been fat since my teens I have discoloration where they have rubbed. *sorry folks!* I have looked at these swim dresses, I need something to cover it up.
The thought of going in the swimming baths in a costume terrifies me, because of my size. But, I seriously need to exercise now and I would love to go swimming.
I am thinking of joining the gym too. Mary (Smiler53) has found one that is cheap but excellent. I might go up and see what's what. Again, the thought of going terrifies me.

Any of you lovely ladies got any tips? I REALLY want to do this... the places are cheap. It's just being the size I am, it's putting me off.

Where exactly has the nearly 3 stone gone from?? *looks at self*

Last edited by Homersmummy; 07-08-2006 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:54 PM   #92  
Paint The World P!nk

S/C/G: 323.5/262/140

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Ann
I really, really hope that Catherine Tate isn't the permanent replacement - I think I'll stop watching it if she is the new companion.
Catherine Tate isn't the replacement lol! (Although, being a Catherine Tate fan, I wouldn't have minded!) But, you know the woman who was in last weeks episode, turned into a cyberman troll thing? The one that lured the young men off and made them cybermen thingies? That is the new replacement. She's proper wooden. Can't act for toffee! I'm not looking forward to the new series.
Boohissboo. But, glad Rose didn't 'die'! I was led to believe she did, but as we now know she's actually doing dandy in a parallel universe. YAY!
Old 07-09-2006, 01:29 AM   #93  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

I'll have to go look Rose's replacement up on the net - I can't remember who you mean.

About swimming.... don't worry about your size. I know thats easier said than done but I'm going swimming two or three times a week now and there are some very big chicks there and nobody notices. Try going along on your swimming pool's Ladies Night - good fun!

In fact the ONLY woman that really stands out in my memory is one who makes a bit of a song and dance about her size - she wears a T shirt and a sort of full length skirt / sarong thing over the top of her cozzie. She climbs down in to the water with them on, wriggles out of the them and leaves them on the side and then puts them back on she gets back out. TBH if she hadn't been fully dressed when getting in to the pool then nobody would have given her a second glance but because of the strange outfit EVERYONE was watching her - especially the other big chicks!

Most people who want to be 'invisible' tend to wear a dark or black cozzie and get in to the water about 10 mins after the swimming session starts and leave about 10 mins before the end so you have the changing area to yourself.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:33 AM   #94  
Consistency + Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homersmummy
But, you know the woman who was in last weeks episode, turned into a cyberman troll thing? The one that lured the young men off and made them cybermen thingies? That is the new replacement.
I just looked her up and, you're right, her acting is a bit wooden - hopefully she'll relax in to it like Billie did.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:34 AM   #95  

S/C/G: 213/166/137

Height: 5 ft

Good morning everyone

Hommersmummy go for it. We all know how horrible it is to feel that people are looking at you, however as Sarah said it usually isn't the case. I remember the first time I did some exercise I joined the gym. I felt physically sick I really did, but I made myself go in there as I knew how important exercise is. You couldn't bottle how good
I felt afterwards and I never looked back. It will be the same for yourself. So
go out get yourself a cossie don't worry about finding dressy bits on the bottom and enjoy the freedom of being in the water gives you.

I just weighed myself and found I have lost half a pound I am now
ten stone three and a half pounds I am thrilled. Last night at my friends
house I resisted all kind of goodies that she offered.

I'm just off now to have egg on toast.

Have a peaceful Sunday everyone

Michele
Old 07-09-2006, 05:47 AM   #96  
Consistency + Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homersmummy
I am thinking of joining the gym too. Mary (Smiler53) has found one that is cheap but excellent. I might go up and see what's what. Again, the thought of going terrifies me.

Any of you lovely ladies got any tips? I REALLY want to do this... the places are cheap. It's just being the size I am, it's putting me off.

Where exactly has the nearly 3 stone gone from?? *looks at self*
Woops - sorry - didn't see the second bit! Gym is pretty much the same as swimming, really. It would help if you could go with a friend for the first couple of times until you feel comfortable. I think its fairly standard at most gyms that you will get to have an induction to show you how all the equipment works and, if the staff are the same as at my gym, they will be only to happy to help in any way they can. After a couple of times of going with DH and/or a friend I found that I prefer to work out on my own - just me and my iPod.

Actually.... I don't tend to find that people look at each other in the gym. I was in there last Wednesday and there were about 10-15 people there and most were concerned about getting their workout done as fast as they could without too much waiting around for equipment - and getting out of there - the remaining couple were the self obsessed sort who HOPE that people are watching them (but mostly they aren't!). It almost seems to be an unwritten rule that people ignore each other as much as possible. They are a much more sociable bunch in the swimming pool, especially on Ladies Night.

Search around though and you can find some real gems. My favourite is the local 'exercise to music' class I go to (the woman in charge doesn't want to tell the class members its aerobics and resistance training in case it scares them off). The women there are brilliant - all shapes, sizes, ages (17 to 75!) and fitness levels - you work at your own level and are gently encouraged to try a little harder each time. I get a very good workout but with lots of giggling and laughing. Key to successful non giggling is NOT to eat baked beans for breakfast....
Old 07-09-2006, 06:12 AM   #97  

i got my swim stuff form landsend.co.uk they are shorts and a top...

the only prob is teh shorts "blow" up in the spa an massive bubbles come out .... i hope ppl know its my shorts ... ;0)
Old 07-09-2006, 06:21 AM   #98  
Consistency + Balance

Great website!!!!! I can feel a spending spree coming on......
Old 07-09-2006, 07:01 AM   #99  

make sure u check thier sizes.. i think they are US sizes !!! i got myself quite confused lol
Old 07-09-2006, 01:59 PM   #100  
Slow and steady

S/C/G: 229/-/170 ish

Height: 5' 5"

Morning girls...well it is over here

Sarah Ann, if it is american sizes and you order, remember that lothing sizes here are two sizes doen from UK sizes in clothes, so if you're wearing a UK size 14, you'll fit into a US 12 here and in shoes it's the other way round...I'm a UK 6 in shoes....but wear US 8...

I have been busy the past two weeks, painting Hannah's room back to nice original white...over some ghastly blue colour some pratt painted it while we rented the house out, and I've also been tackling skirting boards, which is a real pain in the bum, so fiddley. My arms have got a work out from it, I can see muscles reforming shapes again, and with my lovely tan, I'm very pleased with them ...wish the rest of me would firm up and reshape...

I have a new DVD for my ball workout, might have a watch and see if I'm ready for it, the first fundamentals is great, I sweat like a pig and ache for two days, so this second one is supposed to be a tad harder...I'll watch and see before trying...don't want to hurt myself....

Nearly pool time....the water temp is 90 degrees now, hubby is coming home next week for his birthday and threatening to turn the airator on to cool it down, I may have to break his arms...

HM... don't worry about what you look like at the gym or swimming, and I actually would tell you not to buy a cossie with a skirt on it, they hinder you when you swim, and if you tread water, the skirt flows up and can be quite annoying... I have a bikini bottom with a little skirt type thingy on it and it drives me mad.

As Sarah Ann said, going to the gym, no one looks at you, most people are there for the same reason as you, to get fit and healthy, and once you start you're exercise routine, you'll likely meet loads of people who will be as thrilled for you with your loss and reshaping as you are...same with the swimming....go for it lovey and let us know how you get on
Old 07-09-2006, 02:22 PM   #101  

I am very shy about going anywhere on my own but I was so desperate to join the gym I had to go on my own. I was sick with nerves going in and all the way through the session. I still joined though and it only took me about 3 or 4 sessions to relax and enjoy it. From then on i felt really comfortable and didn't care. I agree that everyone is busy concentrating on what they are doing to notice anyone else. There are all ages, shapes and sizes of men and women at the gym i go to. I've even got talking to a few people. I love it. It's the best thing i ever did for myself, I only wish I didn't work full time, I would go everyday if I had the chance. I can't believe I am saying this. I used to hate exercise and I have been a regular at the gym for over 6 months now!!
Just go for it!
Old 07-09-2006, 06:37 PM   #102  

we did it !!!!!!!!!!! and didnt end up falling of the back of the tredmill, splatting ourselves on the back wall etc..

1st lot of 2mins run 4 min walking x 3 .... + we cycled 2 and from the gym and had a dip in the pool after!... i think im going to sleep well !!

is a speed of 7.9km/hr ok 4 running????? we did near 2k in 20mins..
we couldnt hold a conversation... 6.0 felt like a fast walk...

going to try n get to spinning tomorrow... (day off running)

better get to bed.. work in the am....

nite .. Lou x
Old 07-10-2006, 05:31 AM   #103  

S/C/G: 213/166/137

Height: 5 ft

Good morning everyone

Hope all is well with you all. I have the sortest tongue in the world
it is covered in mouth ulcers. Last week I got hugely stressed hence the ulcers.
Oh well at least it isn't a coldsore, I dont' even like saying that word just in
case it tempts something. I must pop to Boots and get some Cordosyl or
something.

My son has loaded some songs on to his Nano for me to take to the gym bless
him there is a section called Mum's gymlist. I am thrilled with it.

The scales are still showing ten stone 3 and a bit I am going to do my hardest
to get into the nines. Good going for a girl who was once fifteen stone
and five feet tall!!

It's my day off today, I'm sat here in my vest and knickers all gormless.

My Kerry has eaten a big hole in youngest son's PE top. Naughty bold rabbit!

Have a lovely day everyone

Michele
Old 07-10-2006, 06:45 AM   #104  
Consistency + Balance

Michele - that is a BRILLIANT loss! You'll get to the nines soon.

Ouch about the mouth ulcers. My sister gets them as an allergic reaction to pineapple and a couple of other foods. Touch wood, I've only ever had one of them when I was pregnant but I do get cold sores though. I did once ask a doctor what triggers them and the list was staggering - sunshine, stress, TOM, just about anything really! I only get one or two a year but usually at the most inconvenient time. Now that I've said that, I'll probably wake up with one tomorrow!

Enjoy your day off.

I've got my aerobics class this afternoon. Its amazing... so far I've taken along three other people with me on three successive weeks - and each one of them has come up with a really complicated excuse for not going the following week. I dunno why, its a great workout and the people are lovely. If they don't want to exercise at this stage of their lives then thats their choice but its like they think that I won't want to be friends with them if they don't come up with a good reason for not going!

Doz this face look bovvered?
Old 07-10-2006, 06:58 AM   #105  

You're all doing so well! I'm not a social animal - usually prefer to exercise alone. But I', enjoying my yoga DVDs so much am thinking of finding a real Noddy beginners' yoga class. Wonder if I'll pluck up the courage? You lot are inspiring me now!
Closed Thread