Goodbye Fags, Hello FOOD!!!

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I decided to give up smoking last night during Most Haunted Live .

This morning the resolve was still there, even though I had dizzy spells, felt sick as a dog and miserable as ****. Got some patches from Boots, did my shopping etc, walked 7 miles all good yeah?

I get home, wash the lounge curtains, Vax the carpet and then ping FOOD! I'm craving every possible type of food I've munched crisps, biscuits, fruit. I'm now down in the dumps big time, I'm scared I'm going to put all the weight I lost back on . I've got the weekend to myself (Blokie is away) and Asda & Waitrose are only 2 mins walk away, temptation is so near.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHH
  • Well done for giving up the cigs. There is absolutely nothing better you can do for your health.

My secret weopon (apart from the patches) were TicTacs - those tiny little mints they're only 2 cals each. Strange, because I didn't much like mints when I was a smoker.

About cigarette cravings.... they actually only last a couple of minutes each. You'll find that you don't have a manic craving ALL the time and, in time, the cravings get further and further apart. Even after 5 or 6 years I do still get an occasional one, usually if I'm in a stressful situation.

Another trick is to go clean your teeth when you get one. They will go away eventually... promise!
  • Good for you!! Don't give up! I did it almost a year ago! I have felt so much better since. And man... I can smell things and taste things I haven't smelled or tasted in years! It is so worth it!! After 20 years of smoking it was hard... but I won't ever go near a cigerette or someone smoking again! I nibbled on carrots, celery, and sugarless gum. I also napped a bit. That seemed to help.
  • Just have to ask...what made you decide during Most Haunted Live? And, did I miss something? They had a MHL around halloween last year, but I didn't see one last night? We got Bodmin Jail last night.
  • We went to Bodmin Jail in the time between when them filmed the MH Live and when they showed it and it was so quiet that we were the only people visiting it. It is ONE VERY SPOOKY PLACE. It has a solid stone spiraling staircase going down two or three levels deep in to the jail and DH absolutely SWEARS that he felt someone try to push him down the stairs.... and this from a man who has absolutely NO imagination whatsoever. He was so spooked that he left me in there and just ran to get out - I was straight after him - I never knew I could run that fast (especially at the weight I was at the time!)

You get in to the jail by walking through the restaurant part of a pub and as we came out everyone was looking at us to see how we had coped with it.
  • Thanks for the replies Yup Tic Tacs are my new "friend" but the Orange and Lime ones - I hate mint.

Techwife - well I'd been planning to give up on the 1st June, but was bored last night, watching MHL (not the same since the old charlatan Derek left ) and thought bollocks!!, if I give up tonight, I'll have done 3 days before blokie gets back so less change of "murdering" him
  • Well done Moo, keep it up. I stopped last year, for the first week I was bouncing off the walls, major argument with b/f who moved out for 2 hours ! It probably took about 2 months until I had the revelation that I wasn't thinking about them all the time. It is so worth it though, I feel so much healthier and don't have the general blur feeling

Get through the first couple of weeks and you'll be laughing :thumbup:
  • Well I'm on day 4, I've not killed anyone ... yet!!! I've growled a lot and abandoned the patches on Saturday afternoon and gone for the cold turkey method. I'm still a bit of a space cadet at the moment but I guess that passes.
    I will beat this as it means I'll have more money to buy more clothes , I will not put on any weight (mmmm) and I will not give in and "Un Quit".
  • Congrats!!! That is awesome! Keep it up!

I also gave up the patch within a week of quitting. It was a pain lol. Cold turkey was better after the first few days. The space cadet feelings could last awhile, but in the long run it is worth it. It takes time. And there will be triggers... but keep your guard up! Your doing great!!!
  • I just realised.... the word 'fags' has an ENTIRELY different meaning in the US.
  • Quote: I just realised.... the word 'fags' has an ENTIRELY different meaning in the US.

Yes indeed it does! When my English friends come to Florida for the winter, I have to remind them to not announce so loudly that they are stepping outside for a fag!
  • Well done for giving up!
  • Keep up the good work Moo! My mum has been 'fag free' (sorry Jen, couldn't resist) for about 2 years. It is lovely going to my parents house now, it doesn't smell of smoke!

It reminds me when mum gave me some curtains that she had used. I went to hang them and was nearly knocked over by the stench of fag fug! I reminded her of that recently.
  • Quote: Keep up the good work Moo! My mum has been 'fag free' (sorry Jen, couldn't resist) for about 2 years.

I'd hate to be fag free....I mean...who would give me advice on fashion and men?
  • And soft furnishings!