UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 05-11-2006, 04:04 AM   #76  
Diva under construction..

S/C/G: 262/212/175

Height: 5'7"

Ultimategurrl....I can SOOOOOO relate. My hubby and his ENTIRE family are concerned I may be wasting away to nothing (@ 5'7" I weigh a hefty 245 post preg) They are all signifigantly over-weight. Hubby is very sweet. Loves me no matter what size but its nice to have a reality check to stay focused! However I can't see how an accuantance (sp?) or complete stranger should ever comment/question what someone is eating. Its just too rude.
Stevi-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:54 AM   #77  

People are... rude. I mean how many people go up to someone and comment on their big nose? But the number of people that feel the need to comment on one's weight......

Mind you , I want to know how, at about 4-5 stone over 'ideal' weight, I am invisible in the shop queue??!! Time and time again I am ignored! Not in some fancy "We don't stock over size 0" clothes shops, I mean newsagents etc. I don't think I fade into the background!
peacock 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:08 AM   #78  

Mind you I feel myself turning into a food fascist now. I catch myself doing a McKeith-style nose into everyone's baskets at the check-out, and only yesterday caught myself saying to MrPhatP that there was a woman behind us who had only sugar, muller yogurts, cakes and white bread - it's so interesting seeing what other people buy, but I can't help myself from thinking unkind thoughts sometimes. Anyone else do that? That said, I've restrained myself from running upto anyone as yet, pulling stuff out of their baskets and pointing out the healthy alternatives like McKeith does, although I would so love to do that for a living - it must be fun!

Have any of you found yourselves stickybeaking at other folks' shopping?
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:11 AM   #79  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I always check out other people's shopping!

I was once behind a lady in the queue that I recognised as an instructor at my gym. This was while I was in diet-ninny stage, I remember being shocked at how much fruit and veg and just "plain" meat and things she had. No packages! I think I was probably buying snack a jacks and sausages at the time!

Now my basket looks even healthier than hers
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:15 AM   #80  

OOH yes!

I am such a hypocrite! I especially notice what mums with kids have. If the kids are hyperactive I notice the number of fizzy drinks etc. I find most people have at leaast 1 healthy object and then 2-3 naughty ones.

I am not 'on the pull' at the supermarkets but I also cannot help noticing if a fit bloke has a bottle of wine and something nice to eat in his basket but round here if any bloke looks presentable - he is usually gay! It is the smelly, hairy, out of shape ones that are 'going begging' ..wonder why??

One time I was in Hampshire in a supermarket and went past some bloke who absolutely STANK! Every part of his anatomy I reckon. Something had died I think. He was with a woman (must have no sense of smell or perhaps it turned her on ooh gross! stop me someone!)
Old 05-11-2006, 09:31 AM   #81  
Domestic Goddess

Hi Peacock...Twinkies are frightening snack cakes, the worst "food" anyone could ever hope to eat. Here are two hilarious sites regarding experiments done on them over the years: twinkiesproject.com, which has photos, and www.busboom.com/twinky.html. A hoot.

Yes, I do look at other people's food purchases now that I'm trying to buy better foods at the grocery store. But I try not to judge too harshly. I know that when someone is good and ready to start eating right, they will. (Hey, uh, Pot? Kettle here...) What does bother me, a whole lot more, is watching parents buy junky, nasty food for their kids...and I'm not talking about a treat or a candy bar at checkout, I'm talking huge shopping carts full of fake food targeted expressly at children (like these atrocious frozen TV dinners marketed for kids because they have goofy characters on the box, heavily-dyed cereals, "lunch kits" with so much sodium they'd probably never go bad...that sort of thing). I do think that everything is fine in moderation, but moderation seems to have gone completely out the window when it comes to kids, at least over here. And if you're a full-grown adult you don't need to be accountable to me, but it's very hard for me to bite my tongue when I see parents who won't say "NO" to the horrible things their kids demand that they buy. Kids don't have a great deal of common sense about these things. That's what parents are supposed to be for...right?

Did you know that there's a new hit show here on The Learning Channel called "Honey, We're Killing The Kids?"
zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:35 AM   #82  

Yeah we had that on BBC I think. Most times the parents were shocked at what they were doing to their kids.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:52 AM   #83  
Domestic Goddess

But here's the thing that cracks me up about the parents' reactions on that show: They're almost always hung up on the projected hair or expression on the 40-year-old photos. "Oh, he looks so much happier now that we've changed his eating habits! See, he's smiling now, he wasn't smiling in the other picture!" and "Oh my God, her hair is so scraggly...she has terrible teeth!" They're not upset that the now-grown offspring are huge. I can't help it: I feel compelled to yell at the TV. Do they not understand that this is all Photoshopped? You can still be fat and unhealthy but have a great hairdresser and/or dentist. I just don't get it.
zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:04 AM   #84  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

I love looking in other peoples' shopping baskets and, yes, I have made a comment or two - especially if they have got something I haven't tried - but I've never, ever said anything if their basket is full of

The best shop for a completely nutrition-free shopping is Netto and its almost always young families that shop there because its so cheap. I always used to feel sad when we had the chippy - we used to get young Mums on benefits who came in three or more times a week always buying chips and burger/sausage and pop for themselves and their kids (this was their main meal of the day). They almost all used to complain that they were exhausted all the time, their kids really were monsters and they couldn't afford 'proper' food. Apart from the constant diet of saturated fat that we used to sell them, they were Netto shoppers buying mounds of crisps, sweets, booze, icecream and frozen/chilled pre-prepared products. No wonder their kids were uncontrollable.
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:33 AM   #85  

My 16 year old is an IT geek and his dream job 'when he grows up' is to be the person who does the computer pics on 'Honey We're Killing the Kids'... It's quite funny the way the 'junk food' version is always toothless, and either grossly obese or pathetically scrawny, with greasy hair, etc (Does eating too much junk make you forget where the shampoo aisle is in the supermarket?) What gets me about that show is how unhealthy the presenter looks - she's not exactly an ad for healthy eating. What's that all about?

The Nettos thing made me laugh! My sister in law is a Netto/Lidl/Aldis shopper - and her kitchen is full of (non diet) fizzy drinks, various biscuits, etc (the biscuits in particvular crack me up - they make 'Happy Shopper' packaging look classy). Needless to say everyone in that house is several stones overweight except for my nephew who got himself fit last year - and now doesn't live there!
Old 05-11-2006, 01:59 PM   #86  
Working My Way Back Down

Hmmm, tasticakes I'm not sure about. Twinkies, however, are cream filled sponge cake, shaped like a lady finger on steroids. They are reputed to have so many preservatives that they don't ever go bad! There is a website, twinkies dot com where you can see them. They even have recipes! Latest phase is to bread them and deep fat fry them - these are sold at fair food booths. I've never even been tempted to try this "delicacy."
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:54 PM   #87  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

Just looked at the Twinkie website - gross.

Right, I have to admit something I'm not proud of..... yes, I owned a chippy which sold deep fried battered Mars bars (and other chocolate bars to the discerning diners of my park of Yorkshire. No, I never ate one (urghhhhhhhhh) but they were very popular and I've probably contributed significantly to the high cholesterol problem in Yorkshire!
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:58 PM   #88  

LOL Sarah I hope that's South or West Yorkshire not North where we live!

My oldest is also a big fan of fish n chips and as he was very food fussy and hardly ate anything when he was younger, we let him have them on average once a week. (My other kids aren't allowed - he has them when he goes out so they don't get jealous!) We always say the village chip shop owner and his Mrs must have a photo on the wall of our oldest out the back that they worship or something - they're always going on elaborate foreign holidays and I reckon he's paid for half of them, single-handed! The really sickening thing is he's so skinny.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:18 PM   #89  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacock 2
Misti and other USA-ers! Explain twinkies to me. I have heard of these before and last heard of them on 'Lost'. Also tasticakes - which were mentioned in the Stephanie Plum novels.
LOL well I have to admit actually I LIKE Twinkies.... but yah they are quite a joke in this country. Have heard they can keep forever without getting stale LOL.

Check them out at:

http://www.twinkies.com/twinkies.asp
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 04:01 AM   #90  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Sarah - I would LOVE to try a deep fried Mars bar! I tried to get one when we went to Edinburgh for the day, but we couldn't find one! I think we might find one on honeymoon since we're planning a day in Glasgow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote