UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 04-28-2006, 12:18 PM   #31  

I like your story too PhatPhoenix. I used to be a carer for a seven year old boy who was visually impaired (completely blind) autistic and had mobility issues, and was unable to speak, but boy could he scream. I was doing mobility training with him in shopping centre and he threw himself down on the floor started pulling his hair and he made a noise like you wouldn't believe.

This very posh lady with a friend said to friend "some mothers just have no idea how to handle their kids". I looked at her, grimaced and said "your right, I have no idea, look here's my mobile number, I'll go off and do some shopping for a couple of hours and let me know when your done"

At this, the little br*t (bless his heart) jumps up, kisses my hand, holds it and walks off with me, leaving her open mouthed! It was very funny!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 12:36 PM   #32  

That was great!!

I rmeember my nan telling me what a monster my Dad was when he went shopping with her. Of course he wanted this and that... He fell onthe floor, screaming ..as they do. A lady went past muttering "some women should not have kids".

Okay I have none myself (just as well) but who are these perfect mummies with their perfect kids. Where are they????
peacock 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 12:44 PM   #33  

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen415
When you're a fat girl, EVERYONE watches what you eat EVERY DAY!
I've noticed this. What's up with that. Why does everyone think it's their business to watch what you eat. Even if your not on a diet they do this and then want to ask "Are you sure you should eat that?"
Justinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 03:10 PM   #34  
Domestic Goddess

Heee! 2frustrated...I just had my first HobNob a couple of weeks ago...the big grocery store chain here in lower Michigan, Meijer, was sampling this latest addition to their expanding "International" aisle. I can see why making a tube last that long is an exercise in self-control!

I do have a question for the UK contingent: In the same Aisle of International Delights at Meijer, there's a product called a Yorkie bar...I'm wondering why "It's Not For Girls?"

Really just curious.

Keep on keepin' on, my friends in dietude.
zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:38 PM   #35  

Zennifer that was the ad that used to be on TV for it. Years ago, Yorkies were marketed as macho, a lorry drivers' (teamsters) sort of thing. Then, to counteract the sexism of that, they re-marketed them as 'Not For Girls' as a sort of joke - homage to their 1970s and 80s' sexism. They do pink ones too. But it's just a bit of our stupid sense of humour. I'd guess seeing that without the TV ads wouldn't make a lot of sense! My kids (all boys) think it's great that something is 'No Girls Allowed' because they take it a bit literally so I think the ad campaign backfired when it came to kiddies. But you're OK to try one - they aren't pumped full of testosterone or anything!

I can't even sniff a HobNob - one would set me on the slippery slope to perdition.
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 06:40 PM   #36  
Persevere! You can!

S/C/G: 234/178/134

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen415
When you're a fat girl, EVERYONE watches what you eat EVERY DAY!
Yep *nods sadly*

I now have a phobia of other people seeing me eat...it's quite tragic really.
georgiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:53 PM   #37  
Domestic Goddess

Thanks, Phoenix for clearing that up! I figured there was some campiness behind the campaign and I wasn't far off...

I have to tell you, I'm a hee-YOUge fan of that "stupid sense of humour." (grin) I've been crazy about all things British (and if I'm being honest, Welsh, Irish and Scottish as well) since "Lady Di" burst onto the scene over here in early 1981 (I was a highly impressionable 9-year-old and she was just the end-all, be-all of my existence for most of my adolescence; I even sent a letter to Mattel that read, "I think it would be very nice if you made a Princess Diana doll." Natch, they didn't take me up on my fabulous idea, but let's face it, Di had cuter clothes than Barbie ever did - in particular I'm remembering that sweet little rust tartan dress with all the little black buttons and that saucy little veiled tricorn she wore with it - put a lot of Barbie's cheap satin skankwear to shame!).

And now my 6-yr-old daughter is becoming just as much of an Anglophile as I am, thanks to a steady diet of Nigella, Kipper and Harry Potter...so who knows, perhaps for her Sweet 16 we'll have to do a summer-long walking tour of the UK.

BTW, LOVED your response to the pompous *** with all the childrearing advice. Having been in exactly the position you were in more times than I care to remember, I would have been the first woman standing, clapping slowly and shaking my head in solidarity, a single tear wending down my cheek, just like you'd see in an inspirational movie. Bravo!
Old 04-28-2006, 09:23 PM   #38  
Teapot Diva-short & stout

Gee, I love the term "food ****." I think that could definitely come in handy in future. It is too bad that if anyone knows you are on a diet, they instantly start monitoring every bite that goes in your mouth. Some diet gurus advocate telling everyone when you start a diet but I sure have never found that to be a help. It also seems like people start asking you to go places and do things they never suggested when you could eat anything you wanted. I can't figure that one out. I had some total stranger ask me why I was getting a diet cola and a cupcake in a convenience store. What point was having a diet cola when I was eating cake? While I should have just ignored him, I pointed out it certainly wouldn't do me any good to have another 200+ calories on top of the calories in the cupcake. Oh, he'd never thought of that! You know, sometimes it's the small changes that can really tip the scale--literally. BJF
BridgetJFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 07:02 AM   #39  

Zennifer - keep us in the know about the International aisle - sounds intriguing! Nice to know we are exporting something (albeit teeth fillings and wider hips!)
Old 04-30-2006, 07:58 AM   #40  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiad
Yep *nods sadly*

I now have a phobia of other people seeing me eat...it's quite tragic really.
Me, too, in a minor way. I'm comfortable with eating with DH but I don't particularly enjoy eating in public. I'm working on getting over this because DH really enjoys going out for dinner but, at the moment, I still prefer to sit with my back to the room!
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:27 AM   #41  

Height: 5'8.5"

Well one nice thing with all the diet police around... once you start losing weigh you are your own best answer! After all, what you are doing is obviously working!

I don't have kids but do have a funny story to share. When my former pastor's little boy was about 5 or 6 years old, he was the most angelic looking golden haired, blue eyes, innocent looking little thing. But he was scrawny as a rail in spite of the fact that he ate like a horse! But when the dad would take the kid to the mall or a store and the kid wanted candy or junk and the dad would not let him have it, he would be dragging the kid along by the hand while the little boy would balk all he could and scream very loudly and with great drama... "Oh, I am SOOOOO hungry!" My pastor was SO embarrassed as since the kid was so scrawny he felt like people thought he must be starving the little boy!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:11 AM   #42  
Domestic Goddess

Good gracious, I got my Diana fashions mixed up...so to correct, I was thinking of her tartan dress, but it wasn't a tricorne hat she wore with it, it was a velvet tam. Just felt the irrational need to clear that up (grin).

Yes, Peacock, there are many, many international treasures to be found at the mighty Meijer stores. In the British section they have, let's see: Weetabix (which I hear from self-proclaimed cereal connosieurs is "like 20 boxes of cereal in one" - anything to that?), mushy peas, lemon curd ("Mmmm, curd," says Homer Simpson), some specialized canned (tinned?) beans by Heinz, which I seem to remember Ozzy or Jack Osbourne eating on toast on their reality show, Yorkie bars, specialty teas (though I don't suppose they're really "specialty" items over there - much like the joke "What do they call Chinese food in China?...Uh, Food"), and of course Hob Nobs. And Hit cookies, and Cadbury items, etc. etc. Now that I think about it, there're a lot of sweets. There's a lot more than that, of course, but not having a photographic memory I can only recall some of the items available.

Just wondering, do you have Turbo Jam over there? I've started doing it and it's fabulous! I'm still totally uncoordinated and bumbling, but I am improving. (If you're wondering about TJ, check out the thread in Fitness forums.) Just curious.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:18 AM   #43  

I don't know what is meant by 20 cereals in one but I think this is the cereal where you can only eat 2 at a time. Only real 'he' men or sports men can eat 3 - or am I thinking of shredded wheat. Anyway they are quite fillling.

Yes Heinz beans are a favourite over here. Especially in 'greasy spoon' cafe's. You have it with a friend (English) breakfast. But really we have them with everything - on toast, jacket spuds, with various fried food and chips etc etc.

What are hit biscuits - never heard of them. Or this Turbo jam thing.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:19 AM   #44  

Mushy peas are a fave too - we have em with things like boiled bacon, fish etc and I love lemon curd! Yummm!

Not exactly exotic but we know what we like!!!!
Old 05-08-2006, 11:29 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 74.6/67.5/56 or 165/149/124

Height: 5'5 1/2

Don't worry Britin, sometimes you need reminding when the crave mode takes over. I've hired my friend as a diet watch over me now... It's not that I dont know whats good for me, its just if no-one tells me no, then I'll just keep on going and cheating myself.
San*_* is offline   Reply With Quote