Nice things to do with cottage cheese

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hi,

I've seen people mention lots of nice sweet and savoury recipes with cottage cheese over the past few months when I've dropped in! It's not something I usually buy or particularly like but somehow (DH- not sure why!) I have a tub in the fridge.

Can you give me some hints and tips?
  • use it instead of cheese, like with ham in sandwich. or in a fajita whith chicken
  • on toast its gorgeous. and for the more adventurous on toast/bread with marmite.
  • Make protein pancakes with it. I use 1 serving quaker oats, 1 serving cottage cheese, 3 egg whites, cinnamon and chopped walnuts. Put ingredients in blender and blend for a few seconds until mixed. Makes 1 huge pancake that I usually have for breakfast. Tastes good too!

I like my cottage cheese best mixed with canned pineapple bits.
  • Use it instead of white sauce in a lasagne - deeeelish!!
  • Errr...feed it to the dog?
  • Whip it up with sweetner and a little vanilla essence and use it as a sort of 'cream' on top of chopped fresh fruit - or on top of microwaved apple topped with toasted oats (makes a sort of apple crumble).

Whip it up a bit and add finely chopped onion, garlic, chilli powder, cayenne and other herbs or spices and use it in place of sour cream as a salad dressing or dip.

I haven't tried this but I've read that you can dissolve one sachet of diet jelly in 8 fluid ounces of boiling water, allow it to cool a little and then whiz up the mixture with the same amount of cottage cheese. The lemon/lime one is supposed to be very nice done like this - something like cheesecake middle.
  • I use it once with a jacket spud pretending it is soured cream (yum!) but then conveeniently forget it is there. Funnily enough, it never happens to chocolate, does it??!!

I think the pancake thing is a good idea because that would completely disguise the horrible stuff.
  • I like it in jacket potatoes,

I also like it on jam on toast... then grill it till the cheese melts just a tiny bit!

BTW I'm tucking into bananas, oats and blendered and splendered cottage cheese!
  • I was just wondering how many calories are in that pancake? And how much cottage cheese etc? I am in desperate need of more protein in my diet, but I am not a fan of cottage cheese, I dont like the texture.

Sorry if this is inconvenient.

Mel X
  • I have the pancake for breakfast topped with nuked frozen berries and it works out to about 350 including the fruit. The recipe is half a cup oats, half a cup VFF cottage cheese and 3 egg whites mix well in a liquidiser or similar and then let stand for a couple of minutes then cook in a non stick pan sprayed with that FryLight stuff. The cals include 80g of frozen blueberries or 100g of frozen raspberries. An American 'cup' is 8 fluid ounces.

You can also add in different things like walnuts, almonds, linseeds, cinnamon, etc, but remember to add in the cals for the extras.

Oh - and I haven't done this myself - but I have read on the LWL forum that you can pre-cook them and they keep okay wrapped incling film for a few days.
  • I pre-cook mine and bung 'em in the freezer, once defrosted they're fine for a day or two! They're also amazingly like chocolate cake if you put cocoa powder in them and cook them in a smaller pan, so they're thicker
  • Mine turn out looking a bit like a very large scotch pancake. I whiz mine a lot so the oats breakdown in to a kind of oat flour. I must try them with cocoa powder in - does it make a big difference with the calories?
  • I forgot - I've also whizzed it up and added it to dry-fried bacon, peppers, garlic and onions, added oregano then warmed it through and used it as a sauce with pasta.
  • Poiple, my pancake comes out at about 300 cals and about 20g of protein. I've read that some people like to put a scoop of protein powder in theirs too, which would really bump up your protein intake, I haven't tried that though.