Man lost 11st in 20 weeks

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_obje...name_page.html

Okay, so I'm taking bets on how long it is before he puts it all back on again.

For some reason I have no admiration for what he has done. The equivalent of 600 calories a day is just not healthy. Had he done it using a healthy eating plan then I would be saying 'good on you'. But not this way.
  • 7 lbs a week! I sure wish the article had mentioned exercise. There was however a disclaimer at the bottom. It actually kinda reminded me of the biggest loser show ... too much, too fast, unrealistic
  • The guy in the article is my IT manager at work - I wrote a post about him here...

Personally I think it's not a healthy way to lose weight...but then it could just be sour grapes on my part because he's lost weight so much faster than I have.

Janey
  • Good post. I don't think it is sour grapes. I have more respect for your weight loss than his.
  • I'd read that post but didn't realise it was the same guy!
  • :O omg that really is a lot!
  • You'll be able to keep us updated Janey Not that I want someone to put the weight back on. Hopefully it will stay off...
  • Excellent blog entry - exactly my thoughts. I wonder what harm he's done to his body in the process. I remember the Cambridge Diet from the 80s - and the reports about how people made themselves very ill because their bodies couldn't cope with the sudden weight change.

My brother in law was put on a very low calorie liquids only diet but he was under close medical supervision and certainly wasn't allowed to drive until his calories had been raised enough to stop him feeling faint every time he exerted himself.
  • Well i'm impressed with anyone that has such willpower how monotonous having the same thing day in day out I could'nt do it
  • I have absolutely no admiration for it either... I don't think destroying one's health is the correct way to lose weight at ALL.
  • My dh told me about the article. I thought I was gonna get a lecture, but he gave me a huge hug and said how proud he was of me doing it "the hard way" and that in ten years time he knows which one of us will still be at goal!!!

I think maybe it's a guy thing, to wanna have a quick fix. They see a problem and work out a solution. And that seemed the most logical way to do it.

I can't see how you could maintain that weight, unless he has a few liquid days a week. I hope we're all wrong and he now has a long happy healthy life at a good weight for his height, but I'm not betting money on it!
  • NOt peeped at link yet but I do nknow if you lose a lot of weight very quickly you end up with loads of saggy skin. An ex boss ended up a peculiar shpe because he had to lose weight rapidly.
  • I hope Dippy Chip doesn't read this - she'll have a mental image of him naked with saggy skin every time she sees him at work.
  • Wot? She won't be lusting after him then???
  • Maybe this isn't the right time to tell you, but....

I'm on a liquid diet. While it is not a physician supervised plan, I AM being monitored by my personal doctor. I'm also going to see a behaviorist to help with the transition back to food. My plan is 5 shakes plus one meal of lean meat and green veggies for a total of 1100 calories.

The first time I did it, I lost 70 lbs in 22 weeks. Then life happened, and I put 50 of it back on. Since then, I have been gaining and losing the same 15 lbs over and over for the last 18 months. The liquid diet has been the only thing that has worked for me, so that is why I am going back to it.

I now understand how people who have had weight loss surgery feel. They, like liquid dieters, are accused of "taking the easy way out." Believe me, there's nothing easy about dieting--no matter what your method is.