UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 09-06-2005, 07:48 AM   #16  
2006 - Panda Remix

Hi!

I just had to chime in that I agree 100% with YP1 and Kykaree. Joining the gym has been the best thing I have ever done and I am now going 6 days a week!

I was soooooo nervous about joining and was one of the biggest people there - but people are too busy just getting on with their own workouts to be noticing my fat wobbling!

I've built up gradually over the last 3 months and my weight is coming off nicely and my fitness has increased enormously. Last week I actually started running on the treadmill - me? running! I can heartily recommend cycling/spinning classes - they will get that fat off in no time! I started off not being able to complete an intermediate class - now I am doing 1 intermediate and 2 advanced classes a week! My instructors at the gym are so supportive and have said I am one of the most motivated people there! Another called me over and said I am the incredible shrinking woman and the change in my shape is amazing - so that makes me feel good!

Going to the gym has also lifted me out of depression, increased my self confidence and is helping me to make new friends. The cute gym instructors are an added bonus - I've got an appointment with mine (the cutest and best in my opinion!) this afternoon to set a new programme. A whole hour of his undivided attention.....swoon!

You will feel little nervous and self conscious at first Shush - but you'll soon settle in. I enjoy it so much now - it is like my second home and I always try to smile at new big people as I remember how self concious I was a few months ago.

Sorry to go on, but I am passionate about my gym (and not just the instructors! )

You won't regret signing up!

Love Amanda x

Last edited by Amanda Panda; 09-06-2005 at 07:50 AM.
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 09:04 AM   #17  

Quote:
Originally Posted by YP1
We only have 1 cute instructor There are only about 5 of them anyway, one is the manager and is old, two are female and one of the blokes isn't anything special. I should change gym
I'm sure he has a lovely personality (or maybe not)
veggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 10:54 AM   #18  

Exclamation More advice please

Planning to go to the gym on Friday for an hour, the instructor says I should work on building up my fitness before getting a personal plan.

Trouble is i'm not sure how to split my time there. Are you supposed to do cardio stuff first and then some weights or vice versa?

(He did tell me that rowing and the treadmill were the best ways to burn fat)

Shush

P.S Thanks Amanda
shush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 02:00 PM   #19  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

For just building up your fitness it might be worthwhile starting with something fairly straightforward like the treadmill, particularly if you've not been shown how to use weights properly yet. If you do know what to do with the weights, a mix won't hurt, and going forward I wouldn't concentrate on one to the exclusion of the other, but as you start out I'd just start with something you enjoy (or can tolerate ) to get a bit fitter before getting more focussed.

Just my personal opinion, but I'd try to get into the habit of going to the gym to do something before getting too worked up about what that something is.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:50 AM   #20  

The weight/cardio what comes first debate is hotly contested, and really, I don't think it matters either way. The traditional way is to do your cardio first then weights, but some people say it is more effective the other way around. I switch about, my decision is based on how many people are in the weights area when I get to the gym, if its busy, I do cardio first, if its quiet I do a quick cardio warm up and then do the weights after!

This methodology can change when cute gym instructor is working out.........for some reason he has taken a bit of a shine to me and calls me over to work out with him, I say it's because fat old me makes him look even younger and in better shape!

And AmandaPanda nice to see you over here!!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 11:06 AM   #21  

Thanks guys for your input, I didn't want to look like a complete plank by doing things the wrong way round

Ky smart thinking re: cute instructor although he might think i'm a stalker
I wonder if he's looking for a protege too!
Old 09-08-2005, 12:11 PM   #22  

omg gosh the gym is uber fun! lol..

i signed up in June and i was neverous i thought people would look but if anything no one really cares lol

its really fun...been chatted up serveral times to (even thou im married)..

lets see i start at 17 stone when i started at the gym i am now 14 stone 8 pounds and i only go 3-4 times a week and workout once on the weekend at home i am totally hooked!!

once you get over the stump you will be excited to go to the gym on the days you do!
some1shy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:50 PM   #23  
2006 - Panda Remix

Yes, I do lurk here occasionally - thought I'd better show my face a bit more often in preparation for the big meet up!

Some1shy - Wow! your weight loss is amazing - in 3 months you've lost 2 and a half stone! I joined at the end of May and have lost nearly 2 stone.

Shush - I agree - treadmill and bike are great for cardio. I hate the rower as it gives me back ache and I used to dread forcing myself onto it. Now I've switched to the cross trainer which is great fun! Your trainer sounds a bit slack - couldn't he work you out a gentle introductory programme to save you wondering what is best? Mmmmmmmm, I'm not impressed - give him a kick up the backside and make him do a bit of work!

Love Amanda x
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 02:03 PM   #24  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Hmm, I tested out the cute gym instructor theory at the council place this morning (well, cute lifeguard as I was swimming, but I was hopeful) and believe me, I was sadly disappointed.

I'll post the whole story on the exercise thread or somewhere as I was very proud of myself this morning
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 03:44 PM   #25  
Gym'll fix it!!

Hi Amanda you've done so well i'm so glad that you're not suffering from depression anymore

Shush, I think if you do Cardio first it will warm up your muscles in preparation for weight lifting someone once told me you do one first then the other to lose weight and vice versa to build muscle but I can't remember which way around it is she could have been wrong though
cat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 06:53 AM   #26  

I went to the gym this morning (first time solo) I felt a bit like a fish out of water but i quite enjoyed it once i got into it.
I got there just after 9am and was really surprised at how busy it was.
I was hoping the place would be really quiet in case i made a complete of myself, however I muddled through and i definitely want to go again(even though cute instructor wasn't there just some spotty youth )

Shush
Old 09-09-2005, 09:47 AM   #27  

Well done Shush
Old 09-09-2005, 11:30 AM   #28  

Thanks Veggie

I know this is a dumb question but are you a vegetarian? I'm always on the lookout for some low fat low cal recipes as I stopped eating processed meals about 18 months ago. Now it's just the processed snacks i've got to cut down on etc.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:53 AM   #29  

Yes I am a very unhealthy vegetarian.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:15 PM   #30  

Talking

Me too veggie. There's not many veggies in my part of Scotland so most of them are amazed when they find out i am, i can see them thinking "vegetarians are supposed to be skinny" no-one said it to me yet though.