UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 08-21-2005, 05:33 PM   #1  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Default Dr. Gillian McKeith's "You Are What You Eat"

Hi everyone!

I hope no one minds me posting here (I'm a Yank), but I DID live in the UK for a while so maybe you'll forgive me.

I was wondering if any of you are following Dr. McKeith's "You Are What You Eat" program. I was in the UK a few weeks ago and my friend gave me her book to read. I found it pretty interesting...full of all sorts of new info. New to me, anyway. I haven't heard A THING about the book here in the States, but I'm under the impression that it's becoming a big thing in the UK because of her TV show.

Is anyone doing the program? Any opinions/experiences/advice?

So far, the only bits of advice of Dr. McKeith's that I've managed to follow are: (1) spirulina, (2) aduki beans, and (3) chewing my food more thoroughly !

Thanks for letting me crash your "group!"

- Kate (former Buxton, Derbyshire resident!!)
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 06:38 PM   #2  

Hi Kate I saw in a mag today they are looking for people for the next YAWYE series if anyone is interested (to be filmed in their swimming costume ) The book is big here but I don't know anyone who has actually followed it myself. There is a lot of skepticism about 'Dr' McKeith, some papers have had articles about her maybe not being a proper Dr for example. All the people on the tv show seem to lose a lot of weight though (well who wouldn't living on beans).
veggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 12:37 AM   #3  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I'm a bit of a sceptic - OK the people on the show lose weight, but if you saw their before diets you'd know why. I could come up with a way for them to lose weight without having to eat sprouted stuff and some of the other weirder stuff she recommends. I think it's nearly as much down to the way she yells at them to keep at it and tells them off for eating anything off plan as to the food she actually recommends too. I've got the book and picked up a couple of ideas, but I'm not at all tempted to follow it!
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:14 AM   #4  

It's also really expensive, in a Good Housekeeping article this month, they calculated it would cost ONE person £150 a WEEK to follow her eating plan!!!! That's a lot of money, seeing as the average food spend in the UK is £30 a month per person (which I always think is wrong, it certainly costs me a bit more than that)

I do enjoy the show though, and I think she has a point about the fruit and veggies and avoiding junk etc. I really like what she does with kids meals, she can be really creative and think outside the box. I hate the yelling and making people feel guilty for how they are, but I guess it makes for "good" television.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:27 AM   #5  
Pending Email Confirmation

I bought the book, it was a good read, but nothing perhaps I did not already know through common sense! I also had my put downs from Gillian when I appeared in the December issue of a UK magazine called Reveal for her column.... I had to keep a food diary for a week!

She said I would never be health on that diet, they made out I ate and drank all the time, when in fact the diary was kept when I'd been to a friends birthday in the October!

I look forward to telling Gillian where she can stick her friendly advice when I reach my target! lol
Mazarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 09:36 AM   #6  

I'd of loved to seen that Alison you haven't got a scan of it have you? I don't understand with all these diet programmes why the fat people have to appear in their cossies in the 'before'? Don't they look fat fully clothed? They are always clothed in the 'after' bit.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:59 AM   #7  

Gillian mckeiths diet far too strict for me, no bread,pasta potatoes etc. tried a few recipes though her soups are quite good (except cabbage ) but her millet mash which is supposed to taste like mashed potatoes is totally gross I think i found about 3 or 4 recipes out of the whole cookbook that i could use.

P.s Saw her in M & S last week, she is a tiny,skinny wee thing, had a look to see if she was buying cakes and crisps etc and guess what....................
she wasn't
shush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:16 PM   #8  
Gym'll fix it!!

Shush, she sends her P.A. out for the goodies Millet Mash? (who's a pretty boy then?) she'll have you chirping next

Kyk, I don't know anyone who can feed themselves for 7.50 a week I don't believe that either
cat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:46 PM   #9  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

I spend way more than £7.50 a week on food. Imagine, if I could spend that little I'd have far more for clothes
Old 08-23-2005, 09:33 AM   #10  

I've only caught one or two of the shows but saw the celeb special with whatshername, who won Pop Idol. All the bum stuff worries me a little, poking around in people's poo as if they're owl pellets. That woman has a bit of an unhealthy obsession, if you ask me.

As someone else has said, she tends to pick morbidly obese people with rather extreme diets and no exercise whatsoever, so the 'success' that follows isn't surprising.

What amazes me is they haven't picked up on her yet in the US - as she'd go down well there. (Kate I'm writing as a Brit who used to live in the US! Kind of your opposite!) If I was one of her victims, I'd be tempted to get out the deep fat fryer and drop her in it, screechy little woman. It does seem the US is a bit behind us on this kind of thing on TV as they have taken UK formats like *Celebrity Fit Club* and *Wife Swap* as well as *Millionaire* and *The Weakest Link* etc and made their own versions, and our *Pop Idol* is *American Idol* over there (essentially, they changed 2 of the judges and just put the stars n stripes on the credits - it still has the original UK production team and everything) So maybe only a matter of time before we export the Scary Scot. Let's hope she likes it over there and don't come back.

P.S. She may be skinny in real life but blimey, is that woman airbrushed, or what? I had only seen her on the covers of magazines and the pic in her book, before I saw her on TV and was shocked that she looked 30 years older on TV than in the stills you see. When we lived in the US we noticed a massive cultural difference that half the shows over there that in the UK would be fronted by 22 year olds or people in their 30s, were fronted by pensioners. Anyone who's seen *The Biggest Loser* on cable will know what I mean. Gillian would fit in well. (I'm not being ageist, it just glares out at you when you watch their TV all the time!)

Last edited by PhatPhoenix; 08-23-2005 at 09:38 AM.
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 10:44 AM   #11  

I do like a bit of McKeith bashing brightens up my day, I still watch it though. I can't wait for the Michelle Mcmanus update later this year (hopefully). Her pre diet crisps and booze struck a chord with me!
Old 08-23-2005, 11:03 AM   #12  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Mmmm crisps and booze!

Gillian She even looks irritating!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 11:29 AM   #13  

She looks even older in the flesh (which is good ) but then again she is the same age as me (which is bad) maybe she should try putting on a little weight just to help fill out her face a little !!.
shush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 02:19 PM   #14  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

I know what you mean about the age thing - the picture on the book just doesn't look like the same person at all.

I will admit to watching it, but more for the disbelief at what they eat before than anything!
Old 08-23-2005, 04:09 PM   #15  
Pending Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie
I'd of loved to seen that Alison you haven't got a scan of it have you? I don't understand with all these diet programmes why the fat people have to appear in their cossies in the 'before'? Don't they look fat fully clothed? They are always clothed in the 'after' bit.
Ha Ha, it went in the bin about an hour after I'd bought it!
Mazarin is offline   Reply With Quote