UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 08-25-2005, 07:21 PM   #31  
Gym'll fix it!!

Oh tell me about it Mars Bars are no good unless they are frozen solid and nearly break your teeth

I only thought about that after i'd mentioned it Ammi there is a big difference in the W.W. diet over here from over there so I believe. At the moment i'm not following a plan just keeping track of cals and fat grams..trying to be good but not succeeding very well at the moment at least i've started regular exercise again so thats something
cat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:22 PM   #32  

I have a Rosemary Conley book that says about the basal metabolic rate and how many cals you should eat if anyone wants to know. Just need your age, sex and weight so nothing personal. Well the age thing is really only are you under 30, over 30 or over 60 but why spoil my fun?
veggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:58 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 329/tracker/168

Height: 5'6"

Cathy, one thing I have told myself to remember during this diet, that I must always take babysteps back to being on track if I do fall off the wagon. You are taking those baby steps by exercising even though you may not be eating what you should. You haven't thrown the towel in, so well done you!!!

Veggie - I would love to hear what my BMR is, so I am 37, female, and my weight is 329. Now this figure you will give me, is that what I have to eat to maintain my weight, and therefore do I need to drop it and by how much to actually lose weight. It's all new stuff to me, so I am confused.

Hugs,

Ammi
AmmiUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 08:25 PM   #34  

Oh I found one online that you need height for as well. That says you should have no less than 2,209 cals a day Ammi. If you are taller than 5 ft 4 (I put my height in ) then you probably need more. You shouldn't need to eat less cals than that to lose weight.
veggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 08:50 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 329/tracker/168

Height: 5'6"

wow that seems a lot of calories, I will count them tomorrow and see how close I come to using them, or even going over them. My height by the way is 5 foot 6 inches. So I doubt I would get many more calories anyway. I wonder if dieting using that system will work,

Hugs,

Ammi
AmmiUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 09:13 PM   #36  

how do i stick with it?

well i aint going to beat around the bush it sure wasnt easy..i mean at first i was YAY i want to lose weight gotta do this..i mean it was like all hype..let me tell you...i went throu a 6 month (yes 6 month) platue...that was the hardest ever..i think i really shocked my body there HOWEVER what kept me going was i decided to measure myself because if i was loosing from somewhere in those 6 months at least it was something...than a few months down the line i was on a 2 month platue..it seemed never ending but now that its a year and 7 months if i hit a platue i will usually get out of it within 2 or 3 weeks...thats how far i have come..
i had a burning desire to change things this is what i REALLY wanted...and i knew it wasnt going to be easy..but the more i lost weight the more i grew confident..and i am getting more looks than ever before from men ..and chatted up..*shhhh* that makes hubby jealous hehe..whenever i say "ohhhh maybe i wont go to the gym today" my mind goes into auto mode and i start seeing men whisling at me and checking me out LOL so it gets my butt out of bed and down the gym..i know its werid but whatever works..

first and far most take things slowly..i did..i decided one da to try wholemeal pasta..i admit at first it tasted a little werid..but i grew to like it and now i dont notice the differenance at all! same with wholemeal bread and rice..

however i am not on any diet...i looked at it as something i can live with for the rest of my life..

and as far as weighing i usually do it once or twice a week..but its also worth buying a body fat monitor because ya weight may not change but your body fat will.. just like mesuring..that way your less likely to throw the towel in
some1shy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 11:11 AM   #37  

Unhappy Brown rice

I have managed to switch to wholewheat pasta and i'm sure i'll get used to it ,but BROWN RICE i.ve tried several times and i still haven't found away of making it edible. Any recipes or suggestions on how to cook it properly or is there different types and some are better than others.

Shush.xxx
shush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 11:35 AM   #38  
A Mighty Thump

Height: 5 feet 4 inches!

Can you get the boxes of minute brown rice Shush? I buy those over here in the states, the rice is ready in 10 minutes. I cook mine with fat free chicken stock instead of water (cook all my rice with stock actually), it makes the rice taste much much nicer. For added flavour, try putting dried herbs in it. Dried sage, thyme, cumin, oregano, basil all work really well. I never liked brown rice when I first started eating it, thought it tasted like cardboard now though I really like it.

If you can't get the quick cook brown rice and absolutely have to use the one in the bag, I usually cook it for 25 minutes, or until it is tender just keep tasting a little bit after 25 minutes is up until it suits your palate. I boil the stock, add the brown rice then cover the saucepan and reduce the heat to low and simmer it.

Here's another way to dress up brown rice and this makes a terrific side dish for pork, chicken or fish and it's yummy on it's own:-

1 serving (9 oz) cooked brown rice made with chicken stock instead of water.
5oz mushrooms (any can be used, I like shitake when I can get them cheap!)
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
2 shallots

Before heating the stock, add 1 teaspoon of your favourite dried herb.
Cook rice as directed on packet or for 25 minutes or until rice is tender.

In a small frying pan heat olive oil over medium heat and add shallots, cook until tender about 3 minutes then add mushrooms and cook until tender, about 3 more minutes.

Add shallotts and mushrooms to rice, combine well and cook for a couple of minutes over low heat.

Makes 2 servings.

Last edited by LynneA; 08-26-2005 at 11:50 AM.
LynneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 11:49 AM   #39  

LynneA, no minute rice not even boil in the bag brown rice. thanks for the tip about herbs though.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:18 PM   #40  

Quote:
Originally Posted by shush
I have managed to switch to wholewheat pasta and i'm sure i'll get used to it ,but BROWN RICE i.ve tried several times and i still haven't found away of making it edible. Any recipes or suggestions on how to cook it properly or is there different types and some are better than others.

Shush.xxx
well the one i buy is uncle bens..made in like 10 mins or so..and once and a while i will get his microwaveable ones to and there made in 2 mins..wouldnt suggestion getting the microwave ones all the time but if ya in a hurry its worth it..
what i do is eat it plain lol..but sometimes i put tabsco sauce on it (im a tabsco addict love hot stuff) and its great you could always add some spices or add an egg to it..
Old 08-26-2005, 02:27 PM   #41  

LynneA that sounds great (shallots? is that spring onions) Thanx

some1shy i've never seen Uncle Bens brown rice Which supermarket do you get that from?
Old 08-26-2005, 03:22 PM   #42  

Quote:
Originally Posted by shush
some1shy i've never seen Uncle Bens brown rice Which supermarket do you get that from?
tesco's, asda, 99p store
Old 08-26-2005, 03:24 PM   #43  
A Mighty Thump

Height: 5 feet 4 inches!

Shush a shallot is a cross between an onion and garlic, it looks like a garlic bulb.

It probably has another name in the UK but I can't think of it right now .
LynneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 03:36 PM   #44  

We have shallots in the UK! Although I don't think they're sold, so much, in supermarkets - but my dad used to grow them!

Here's a Basal Metabolic Rate calculator I found online:

http://www.weightlossforgood.co.uk/bmr_calculator.htm

I've noticed that BMI calculators vary slightly - as the borderline between *obese* and *overweight* can vary by a couple of pounds, depending which one you use... so I'm not sure how accurate this tool is.

I have a BMR calculator in Rosemary Conley's cookbook, *Eat Yourself Slim* and also in her *New Body Plan* Diet and they do seem to be the same as this online one. I think they're great and a lot of folk are surprised by just how many cals you can eat!

RC recommends you recalculate your BMR after each stone lost.

Love, PhatPhoenix x

Last edited by PhatPhoenix; 08-27-2005 at 03:43 PM.
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 04:10 PM   #45  
Gym'll fix it!!

Hmmmm Well, i've just used this one and it says 1468 yet the one on 3FC says 1944 thats a big difference on the 3FC one I entered sedentary so it would give me the lowest reading don't know what to make of that
cat90 is offline   Reply With Quote