UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 11:22 AM   #46  
Always drink your water..

S/C/G: 215/198.5/119

Height: 5'1"

Grrr... I take back all the good things I said about Primark!!

I went in there this morning for some sports socks, and (as you do) came out with three pairs of summer trousers and a pair of Dunlop jogging bottoms. The trousers were all size 20, but the biggest size I could find in the joggers was 16, so I and bought them anyway, figuring I'd be able to fit into them in a couple of months.

I get home, and none of the trousers are anywhere near fitting. I'm talking stuck-halfway-up-my-thighs-cutting-off-my-circulation-won't fit-in-a-million-years tight, not just a little on the uncomfortable side...........meanwhile, the joggers fit just fine and dandy, and if anything are a little on the large size! What's all that about?! Now I feel even more of a than ever...and this was supposed to be my celebrate-feeling-skinny-cos-I've-lost-a-stone shoping spree!

Oh well, at least I didn't dive into Starbucks for solace!

Yours sulkily, Janey
Old 05-07-2005, 12:04 PM   #47  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I think Primark do have a bit of a sizing issue! I can fit into 8-10 tops in there, size 14 skirts are too big, but their trousers are tiny! I've a pair of 16s that are STILL too small! That's what you get from buying cheap clothes! Keep all the nice trews and slim into them! Alternatively change the labels round so you feel better about it!

I bought a skirt, 2 T shirts, anklet, hair twisties and knickers this morning! I only went to take back a top! That's where they have you, it's soooo cheap that you spend lots on lots of things... I have lots of shoes from there! I snap up the size 8s as soon as they get them in!
Old 05-07-2005, 12:24 PM   #48  

Sizing is a real pain in most of the shops I think
I have a cotton long sleeved top thats a size 14/16 and it fits perfectly but I bought a few t-shirts from the Edinburgh Woolen Shop last summer and to my horror I read the label and it said they are a size 22/24!!!Grrrrrrrrrr! I don't know...I get SO confused!!!!
Dippy Chip congratulations on losing 1 stone!!! You've done brilliantly so don't lose heart!!
Old 05-07-2005, 01:59 PM   #49  
aka Superwoman!

I've heard rumours that shops are going to change their sizing policy (it'll never happen!) to accomodate people's individual measurements! Like, waist 32, hips 38. Because you'll be able to find your size won't you!? How many of these "individual" sizes will they stock? Are they going to be every two inches, every inch, every half inch? And guess what, your size will always be sold out, because they won't be able to buy in lots of the same size for fear of having stuff left over!

Try it on and rip the label out I say!

Anyway... I've just bought on-line lottery tickets! How boring is that! They even e-mail you if you've won so you don't have to check them! That is the most boring thing I've ever done! I was thinking about buying one today while I was out, but I didn't cos the queue was very long, so I just thought now, oh I'll try their website!
Old 05-07-2005, 04:06 PM   #50  

I thought it was just me with the sizing thing. I bought some lovely workout pants and a top at H & M this week. To my horror, they are both size 28!!!! Now everywhere else I am a size 22, even in a fitted jacket and formal workpants. H & M have just got a new designer and the clothes are lovely, and cheap, so I shall overlook the sizing thing, but I get my scissors out as soon as I get home!!!!
Old 05-07-2005, 05:16 PM   #51  
Gym'll fix it!!

Hey Shoppers

I was online until 3am this morning i've got a fixation on electric scooters at the moment due to the price of gas (petrol to you ) they are so cute and some of them you can peddle to save the battery ( I thought I could maybe get some exercise there ) they are all so far away though so i've emailed to ask about shipping costs which will probably cost more than the scooter will but we'll see, failing that i'll go downtown and buy a gas scooter I can finance one for $100 a month and gas will be cheap i've worked out that even with repayments and gas i'll still be paying LESS than what i'm paying just for the gas for my car now and i'll have a new scooter to play with as well are there any electric scooters/mopeds in England? I heard that they were popular in Europe has anybody got any input on the subject
Old 05-08-2005, 05:17 AM   #52  
aka Superwoman!

They're popular with kiddie winks over here who ride them on the pavement but "velos" are very popular in France which are electric bicycles with pedals.

Quite a lot of people here are getting into the 50CC petrol scooters, especially 16 year old boys! But I think the main popularity increase has been because of the conjestion charge!

My motorbike hardly takes any petrol (that's cos I cycle to college! ) But you know what I mean! I can probably get through about £8 a week travelling 60 miles.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:18 AM   #53  
aka Superwoman!

Oh I forgot to say Kyk, H&M must be the WORST for skimping on their clothes sizes! I remember going into changing rooms wearing size 16 trousers, I took an 18 to try on, they were 2 inches smaller than the 16s I was wearing! Effectively a size 14! MADNESS!

OOoh Oooh ooooh! We went to see Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy last night. We were supposed to go see the Orlando Bloom one but it was sold out. I liked Hitchikers! It was funny! I want a Marvin! he he he he! The dolphins were funny too!

Last edited by 2frustrated; 05-08-2005 at 05:21 AM.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:43 AM   #54  

Oh I want to go and see that Frus, I loved the books and the original tv series. I'm trying to persuade my 10 year old to come with us as trying to get a babysitter here is a nightmare and makes an evening to the piccies soooo expensive. But at the moment she's decided she won't like it (knowing nothing about it of course) so I'm not winning. I'll tell her you gave it a great review

Sizing is a nightmare, it's a bit like weight really, try and ignore it, it's how you look and feel that matters. Just makes it so difficult when trying to buy clothes, I always take a selection of sizes with me. I usually shop in the same few places too, as I know roughly what size I am in my favourite shops, depending on the shape of the clothes.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:38 AM   #55  

Madam Dotty your sig is speaking to me!

Quote:
STOP WASTING TIME!!

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning!
That's me! I keep thinking what weight I'd be if I had stuck at fat club last year, instead of leaving and putting the weight back on.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:07 AM   #56  

It just really sums up how I feel at the moment - I've wasted so much time, it's got to stop. I feel now that I either do it, once and for all, or give up and resign to being a fattie for the rest of my life, which I don't want to do.

All the best

x
Old 05-09-2005, 01:00 PM   #57  

I got the job!!!!!! I applied for an underwriters position at work, to escape working on the phones (although I love my job) and I got it!!!!! I am over the moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon!!!!
Old 05-09-2005, 01:25 PM   #58  

YAY
Old 05-09-2005, 02:03 PM   #59  
aka Superwoman!

Old 05-09-2005, 03:12 PM   #60  

Well done Kyk that's a great feeling.
Closed Thread