UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 02-23-2005, 06:00 AM   #1  

Default Miso Soup anyone??

I thought I'd give this a go, Gillian McKeith is always going on about it, supposed to be really good for you. I saw some sachets in Holland & Barrett and thought I'd try some. Just made up a sachet and it's soooooo salty, I eat very little salt, never add it to food, and all I can taste is salt. I haven't got the box with me and I think, from memory, it's made from Seaweed, which is probably why it tastes so salty, other than that it's pretty bland, but not unpleasant.

Perhaps it's good for you because you spend the rest of the day drinking gallons of water cos the salt has made you thirsty?????

Anyone else tried it? I don't think I'll rush out and buy another box!

Jan
x
MadamDotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 02:03 PM   #2  

Wink

Gillian McKeith I've never tried it. I do watch 'you are what you eat' every week and shout at her though.
veggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 07:52 PM   #3  
Gym'll fix it!!

Ooooh Well, i'm a bar of chocolate then correction, i'm a chocolate covered spud
cat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 11:57 AM   #4  
Just one bite at a time

S/C/G: 210/210/146

Height: 5'5"

There are 2 distinct types of Miso soup. The dry powder form and the little sachet of concetrated liquid form.

Believe me the Blue Dragon concentrate is Sooooooooooooo much nicer than the black and red packet's powder form.

I nearly died choking on the powdered form. Fortunately the first time I tasted it was the Blue Dragon stuff so I was prepared to give it a second go! If I had known Ms. "No Real Credentials" McKeith was touting it I wouldn't have tried it the first time!

But I use it a lot - I have the Fat Girl Slim book and she uses it quite a lot as the base for nicer, simple to make things!
stef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 01:34 PM   #5  

Hello Stef
Have tried Miso soup once and only once, it tasted terrible, I can't imagine it being a base for anything.
Well done with your weight loss.
Jackie
Jackie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 05:23 AM   #6  

I also tried the miso soup and found it way to salty...My soup tasted like soy sauce...

YUCK!!

I have made the veggie soup again but with normal stock...
MelissaA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 11:17 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef
But I use it a lot - I have the Fat Girl Slim book and she uses it quite a lot as the base for nicer, simple to make things!
I like Miso soup, my dh uses it as a base for noodle dishes, well watered down and lots of veggies in it. I use the packet one, but make it in a lighter dilution than specified, I often have it at work. The reason being the girl next to me eats crisps and chocolate all day and is a size 12, so I drink it at my desk coz it stinks.

I like Fat Girl slim, I use the book quite a bit, and I love her directness. It was the first thing I read or looked at when I decided I really had to lose weight.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 12:09 PM   #8  

I like miso soup if I'm in a sushi bar but it never tastes the same at home. I remember having some in powdered form once and it was foul, put me off it for years! I've got some miso in a concentrate now, the brand is Sanchi I think, and it's OK but is still much saltier than the restaurant versions.
lora_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 09:10 AM   #9  
Just one bite at a time

S/C/G: 210/210/146

Height: 5'5"

Hi kykarre, another FSG'er, you are the only ohter person I know who has and uses her book!

Personally I too found her directness wonderful. And I love the way that she doesn't include the calories with the recipes - you have to go search them out at the back of the book!

As for the miso soup it is very much saltier than restaurant versisn, but that is probably because they dilute it down and add bits in. I usually chop in any veg I hapen to have hanging around the bottom of the fridge - chop it up small and just let the heat of the water soften it a bit (perhaps a good tip here is chop it up VERY VERY small). I actually like the stuff now, but I also grew to like the "seaweed as flavouring" FSG promotes.

I w
stef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 05:41 AM   #10  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I have bought some seaweed tablets... Not Miso soup but I guess the same benefits without the yukky taste

I just have to remember to take them....
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote