UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 07-21-2004, 11:45 AM   #16  

Feel free to butt in anytime I don't eat out except for special occasions or if I'm away. I hardly ever get a takeaway. I feel sorry for myself now.
veggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 12:09 PM   #17  
Gym'll fix it!!

I feel sorry for myself too Veg Lucky you! Jessica Most people would love to eat out more but they just can't afford it I like nothing more than having a meal cooked for me cuz I don't like cooking day in day out hubby goes for lunch EVERY day with workmates so he does'nt take me anywhere could go on my own I suppose but i'm one of those people who feel self concious eating in public
cat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 04:55 PM   #18  

my problem is that for some strange reason my dh and kids prefer my cooking to eating out strange people
kirsty
linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 06:40 AM   #19  

Exactly - think how much fruit and veg you could buy with £80 a week. I've watched all the episodes so far, but this was the worst - that massive tub of processed meat made me feel physically sick , so I can imagine what it was like standing looking at it (and smelling it)! Still, I guess the shock tactic worked as they all looked loads healthier after the 8 weeks.
Strawberry Shortcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 01:04 PM   #20  
Gym'll fix it!!

Is there a website for this show? I want to know what all the Hoo-Haa is about and why were they looking at processed meat?

I don't like fruit and veg is'nt that awful? but a lifetime of eating sugar laden foods has ruined my taste buds and fruit for example strawberries taste to me just tasteless and yet I like jam and the only diff is the SUGAR. I hate seeds and I won't eat strawberry or raspberry yogurt cuz i'm always spitting the seeds out I love canned fruit tho' in particular pineapples and that is the only fresh fruit I enjoy too. I'm WEIRD I know
Old 07-23-2004, 01:26 AM   #21  
i luv my dog!

here is the link - UK channel 4 - TV show "You are What You Eat"

http://www.channel4.com/entertainmen...wye/index.html
a broad abroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 06:40 AM   #22  

I've started eating much more fruit and veg since I joined slimming world (I was a fairly bad veggie before ) I was convinced I hated green beans but now I have started eating them, you can change Cathy no excuses.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:53 AM   #23  

Cat - in answer to your question, they make the person list everything that they eat in one week and then for the programme they put ALL that food on a table to really make them aware of how much unhealthy stuff they eat. It's pretty scary. Last week the family ate a lot of processed meat, so they filled a huge tub to show how much they eat every month. It was an awful lot -yuk

You should definitely try and watch it this week as it's a good programme - though be warned - all the poo stuff is disgusting!
Strawberry Shortcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 06:25 PM   #24  
Gym'll fix it!!

Thanks for the link a broad abroad

Strawberry, I can't watch it don't get too many english programs over here but when we do i OD on them
Old 08-05-2004, 11:16 AM   #25  

In this week's programme I was amazed how much oil was used in the cooking (or am I talking aobut last week's prog?). She then poured how much oil uused in cooking into glasses and asked the guy to drink it. He did not want to and she said but you drink that amount each week without realising it. Yuck!!

What is amazing (sickening) is seeing how much food they eat spread out on the table and never a veggie in sight!
peahen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 11:28 AM   #26  

I'm just about to go and buy the book ..... will let you know what I think of it!
Kelly M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 11:33 AM   #27  

I've got the book the pics of the presenter are soooooooooo airbrushed.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:50 AM   #28  

I ant to get it too. Are there any recipes in it??
peahen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 11:56 AM   #29  

I've only laughed at the pics so far.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:23 PM   #30  
Just one bite at a time

S/C/G: 210/210/146

Height: 5'5"

Jessica, you should have dropped in on us. We could have used my new dining table and chairs - I am so excited to have space after living in a one bedroomed flat for so long.

I would have cooked up one of my wondrous fish dishes that are so simple to make, taste delicious, have almost no calories at all, but need a group of people to make worthwhile, and there are only the two of us!!! Or the Mexican banquet that my family don't believe is a healthy low cal meal!! So low you can drink a considerable amount of red wine with it!!!

Next time you are passing so close (only 1 county away) drop in!!!

As for the book.....

After sniggering at the oh so obvious airbrushing I fell off the chair at some of the things we are suposed to eat - I skipped all the pictures and went for the 7 day diet thing!!!

Wild blue-green algae, Spirulina, Chlorella, quinoia (Keen-wa to you and me apparently), alpha lipolaic acid?????, or milk thistle and sprouted seeds and beans of all sorts - buy a sprouting thing from the garden centre why don't you?

On a more serious not. The book is NOT very well written at all. The central theme is a little bit "How clever am I then?" But the information is not put across very well. For example. She goes on about sprouting things. And she exhorts us to do as much of it as we can. But I can't find a description of the beans etc we are supposed to sprout. Can we use any beans, from Sainsbury's and Tescos? Or do the health food shops keep them slightly differently? Aren't they too processed in the supermarket packets? I dunno!!

Then you get to the diet! Well I hope none of you out there who want to try it work outside of your own home - like I have to. COs you are suposed to eat from 7.00 am until 9.00 pm and not even I have enough tupperware to carry the 3 health drinks and smoothies that come as satndard. Nor do I have enough hours to leave 30 mins between exercise upon waking, and a cup of hot water then another between that and a brisk 30 minute walk and another 15 mins between that and breakfast part one with another for breakfast part 2!!!!!!! See day 4 onwards for the most ridiculous spread of meals

Did anyone read all of that paragraph and understand it all? Shame on you get a life!!!!!!

No, not impressed. Thank God for Amazon, cos I didn't pay much for it and I got her first book "12 foods that do something or other" for a coupe of quid thrown in. Now THAT should have set alarm bells ringing!!!!!

Last edited by stef; 08-05-2004 at 02:40 PM.
stef is offline   Reply With Quote