UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:35 AM   #1  

Default Newbie need a gym buddy

So I'm new to this!
I'm 32 and overweight in a big way I need to lose about 9 stone and have a couple of hormonal issues which I have always said is the reason behind me not losing weight. I have a stressful job and tend to comfort eat when I'm stressed (god I wish I was the opposite)! I need to go to the gym but feel shy at the fact that I'm an auff trying to gym, use to love gyming with people but on my own feel lost!
I've probably tried all the diets that you can think of and for me they don't work. I know that the only way for me to prolong and have an effective weight loss will be clean eating and gyming.
I'm glad I found this site I'm hoping it will give me some guidance. So if anyone knows what path I'm coming from let me know cause I'm struggling and don't want to have a short life.
Sharon84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 01:24 PM   #2  
Determined to reach goal!

S/C/G: 224/201.0/150

Height: 5'7

Hi Sharon, and welcome!

I have been on and off this site for years but this time around I started back a couple of weeks ago and am aiming to lose around 60lb. I am trying to do through logging my food and being honest with myself about what I eat, by cutting back on treats and snacks and planning ahead. I also want to get more active. I won't be joining a gym unfortunately as although I love classes there, never been one for the machines.

I totally get you on the comfort eating front. I have just spent a weekend battling stress eating as I had to present a conference yesterday and only crisps chocolate and wine were going to get me through...... I hope one day I can make a permanent change, but for now, it is one day at a time.

Happy to share my coping strategies and chat food and exercising planning. Have a good Sunday evening. I am spending mine trying to get ready for the new week as being prepared is half the battle for me.
takingcontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:07 PM   #3  
Determind Member

S/C/G: 323/313/168

Height: 5ft 6"

Hello!!

And sorry its a late reply..... don't always check the UK part because It went pretty dead in here for a while and started to think I was the only Brit still standing.

I started at 23.1 stone last January, Currently around 19.6lbs aiming for 12stone. So I still have 7.6 stone still to go!

I do weight lifting and strength training at my local gym/swimming pool. Its a council ran gym I think, so its got the basic's and doesn't cost a bomb. I used to be a little anxious about going to the gym because the PT who works there used to be in my class at school, and wasn't exactly a nice person to me in my plump body. But I decided to take on this total B***h attitude and just go for it. I quickly realised that everyone else just has their earphones in and in their own little world or little zone. Half the time when someone is looking at you and you are overweight, its just because either you are in the way of their day dream stare, or they are looking in admiration thinking "you Go Girl".

I would say stop looking for diet that will suit you, you wont find one. Make your own!
Download the Myfitnesspal app, start weighing the food that you eat and start looking at just how many calories you are eating currently, then look at things that you could swap out. Like I never use butter anymore, because I only have bread with my boiled eggs in the morning, but I use ketchup, so I don't need the butter. Once you have found out how many you are using, then look for a TDEE calculator, the Grenade one is the best one I think. It will tell you how many calories you need to consume to be in a coma, then it will tell you how many you need to eat to lose weight. It sounds complicated, but it really isn't. Just reduce your calories ONLY IF you are eating too much, don't go under 1500. If you aren't eating enough, then bring it up and start eating fresher food, less packaged stuff. The only packets I eat are microwave rice because they taste much better , sandwich thins, ketchup, and the steam bag veggies from birds eye. everything else is in its most natural state, meat veggies, eggs, and stuff like that.

Start low..... build it up.... becomes more sustainable that way.
Scotsgal is offline   Reply With Quote