UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:28 PM   #1  

Default Exercise & low blood sugar

Hi everyone!

Im struggling to exercise at the moment and would like any advice.

Im quite prone to having low blood sugar (not diabetic) just one of those things. But this means when i excerise i get all shaky and my vison blurs when my blood sugar drops.

Can anyone recommend any good exercises or foods i can eat before or after to help with these low sugars?

I have a lot of weight to loose so just want to try and get this sorted.

Thanks!
Joanna
JoannaN89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:16 PM   #2  

Have you tried doing moderate exercise because of your low blood pressure? Such as a 30 minute walk once a day straight after a meal.

Make sure you eat lots of fruits and veges while staying away from junk food/sugary foods. Good luck
JamieAlison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:30 AM   #3  
Captain Prescriptivism

S/C/G: 235/180/135

Height: 5'3"

First of all, I think you should talk to a doctor if you haven't already. Hypoglycemia can be a precursor of diabetes from what I hear, and it's not good for you to constantly have low blood sugar anyway.

Second, I have a kind of similar problem- reactive hypoglycemia, so my body just overreacts when I eat simple carbs and my blood sugar drops. To keep your blood sugar stable, it's always a good idea to eat a lot of protein and fat, and to a lesser extent, whole grains. These foods digest slowly, so they give you a steady flow of energy throughout the day so that you won't have blood sugar highs and then lows after meals like you would if you ate mostly carbohydrates. My experience is that eating regular meals that are mostly protein and fat reduces the number of episodes I have of blood sugar problems. While you're actually having an episode of blurry vision and shakiness, the official recommendation I've heard is to eat a small amount of simple sugar (chocolate and caramel don't work, notably, because of their higher fat content) to get your blood sugar up in the short term, then eat a small, high protein meal as soon as is convenient. Where I am, you can buy glucose tablets at the store, and those will raise your blood sugar faster than something like candy.

You might also consider the possibility that anxiety is involved. Sometimes blurry vision and shakiness mean low blood sugar for me, but those symptoms were also greatly reduced when I started taking antianxiety medication.

I hope you get this sorted out!
ImpalaHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:38 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

I have low blood sugar if I don't eat protein on a regular basis. I also can't exercise if I've eaten in the past hour, or I'll just get sick to my stomach. So protein is the key, as that stays with you longer. Cheese or peanut butter is always good in a pinch.
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:16 AM   #5  

Height: 6-1.5

Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) is a dangerous condition. Fat and meat have no glucose in them, so they will not raise your blood sugars. I think you should go to a doctor and get some tests, and pinpoint the cause. It can be a whole list of things from "alcoholism" to "endocrine disorders" or a tumor.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:25 PM   #6  

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I went to the doctors a few weeks ago when my low blood sugars got bad but my blood tests are all healthy. She just said some people are abit more sensitive to it than others.

Good luck on your journeys!

Xxx
JoannaN89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 291/279/175

Height: 5'6

I used to suffer terribly with hypoglycemia when I was younger, doctor told me to eat a mixture of high sugar fruit like grapes, melon, pineapple, something like that, then also have a high protein with it, 5 to 7 nuts, some ham, chicken, something like that. Also consider changing your diet to a low GI diet called 'The Zone' it's 40% Carbs 30% protein, 30% fat, eat small meals often, it helps regulate your blood sugar. It's what I do and I haven't had an episode in 6.5 years. I used to have spells 3 to 4 times a day.
BMace2010 is offline   Reply With Quote