UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:42 AM   #1  

Default New member from the UK - Need to do this!

Hello, I just signed up today and thought I would introduce myself. I live in Leeds with my hubby and two boys. When I was a child I had a heart problem and due to that I was very skinny. The problem rectified itself as I grew and by the time I got to around 10 I started putting weight on. I’m an emotional eater for sure but I also eat when I am bored, tired etc. I am sure there are others here who can relate.

Back in 2014 I managed to lose around three stone, getting down to just over 14 stone which was the lowest I had been in years but then me and my husband hit a really rough patch. We decided to split up, I sorted the mortgage in to my name while he looked for somewhere else to live. We told the boys which was one of the hardest things I have ever done. Then….. driving to Southport airshow with my boys I had a bit of a mini breakdown and ended up calling my husband from the services saying I couldn’t be without him and we had to get through it all no matter what. It wasn’t an easy time but we got through it and we are very happy now. Unfortunately I totally lost focus on my weight loss and gained everything back that I had lost!!

Also I’ve gained weight with every pregnancy and I had another baby in June 2015. My sister is unable to have children and after her and my brother in law had tried IVF a couple of times (once with me donating eggs) I offered to be a surrogate for them. I had my beautiful neice by c-section in June, she is absolutely wonderful and the light of her mum and dads life but that last pregnancy and section seemed to wreck my body!

So here I am!! I am sick of hating myself and deleting every photo, I am sick of thinking that my husband can’t possibly fancy me so I keep pushing him away, I am sick of being too tired to play with my children. I started Feb off at 17st 2lb. I haven’t really done anything to now but I have started logging on my fitness pal and my goal is to start small with just swimming twice a week and walking on my lunch break at least twice a week. Hopefully as time goes on I can increase that.

It’s good to be here. I’ve been reading some of the success stories and I am blown away with some people’s remarkable journeys. If I can do even half as well as some people I would be over the moon.
blueboxgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:38 PM   #2  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Hello from someone who's recently just moved from Leeds

You've been through such a lot! I understand what you mean about hating yourself and your photos - I started (This Time) at 17 stone and I'm only 5'2" - but you should instead be very proud of what you've gone through and what you've done for your family.

Now you've decided to do this really important thing for yourself, be proud of that too!

The starting small with the walking and the swimming is a great idea. Have you decided what to do about food? Are you going to calorie count? I find it the easiest way (other ways of losing are available ) - just be sure not to go too low. It sounds ridiculous, I know, but eating too little doesn't help to lose weight faster.

Good luck
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:29 AM   #3  

Hello and thanks for your reply!

For diet I am just calorie counting. I've tried all sorts in the past from 5:2, clean eating, atkins etc. But I find it all too restrictive and end up falling off the plan big time....usually head first in to take aways and ice cream LOL.

This time I have set my fitness pal to 1600 calories which should lose me 1lb a week and maybe a little more if I get some exercise in. I am going to try and make healthier choices but if I really want something I will have it and work it in to my calorie limits. I figure that at least if I stop losing at 1600 I have some wiggle room where as if I start at 1200 I wouldn't really want to drop calories any lower than that.

One of my weaknesses is take away food (Chinese, pizza, fish and chips) and unfortunately I have them right over the road from where I live.

So I have bought some weight watchers ready meals for the freezer. Maybe not the healthiest foods ever but when I am tired (I work full time and study too) and don't feel like cooking a full healthy meal I will have those rather than head for the take away food. They are definitely healthier and lower in calories.

I finished yesterday right in 1600 calories!
blueboxgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:01 PM   #4  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Iceland have got Slimming World meals in - and some of their own brand meals are fairly low cal too, and, I think tastier.

Well done on being spot on your budget!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 04:00 PM   #5  

Hi from another member from Leeds. Im calorie counting too then I dont become over obsessed like I have with previous plans. Great forum
lealea15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 207/121/128

Height: 5'5"

In terms of ready meals, I find M&S Balanced for You meals to be great for those nights when hubby wants pizza or a curry, or I've just been too busy or, let's face it, lazy to weigh out everything and then cook for who knows how long. Not only do they count kcals, they also count your macros and sodium too. It makes me feel as though I've also had a take away.

Best of luck
DLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote