3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   UK Fat Chicks (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/uk-fat-chicks-75/)
-   -   Clothes size question (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/uk-fat-chicks/285942-clothes-size-question.html)

CrazyCatWoman 08-08-2013 02:59 AM

Clothes size question

Hi there

I am an expat and have a slightly weird question about clothes sizes back in the UK.

Following recent weightloss (*happy dance*) I am now the size I was about 15 years ago when I was buying clothes that were basically men's as I had not discovered Etam and Evans at that point. So I now can just about get into a size 40 pair of men's trousers. I know waist/hip ratios complicate this but does any one have any idea what this would correspond to in women's terms ? I think it is probably a 20. Now I live abroad I've got no way of sneaking into a shop and checking.

And another question, what is the jeans size that most high street shops now stock up to in the UK ?

Many thanks in advance!

Karin

stef 08-08-2013 07:44 AM

Congratulations.

Sizes have changed a bit over the last 15 years and I would heartily recommend you stay OUT of Evans.

I went in last week as they had a pretty dress in the window. I picked up a size 16 (new size for me, so I was excited too). It was so very, very, very small on me. Out of interest I went and got an 18 and a 20 - the 20 fit me! Now I am 100% certain that I haven't been a High Street size 20 for well over a year! Evans cheat to keep you reliant on them.

So having said that, what are your hip and waist measurements? We can all give you an opinion then :)

Leaves 08-08-2013 09:13 AM

I use this website for online shopping here and find it pretty useful!

http://sizes.darkgreener.com/

CrazyCatWoman 08-10-2013 07:39 AM

Thanks for your replies. That website is very interesting!

Today I went to the local supermarket here and was shocked to find sizes quoted in inches (very strange for a metric country), so tried a 38" waist pair of women's jeans, which I was really shocked and pleased to be able to fit into. Tight, but they were wearable, so I would imagine that is around 18/20 UK size. Now i know I can get clothes here fairly easily which fit, I am delighted - no need to mail order from the UK.

Thanks.

weightloss1 08-26-2013 12:09 PM

Well done, that is good news that you really lose weight!

SuomiSara 09-07-2013 12:09 AM

Hei CCW!

Im also a expat in Finland, Im in Vantaa.

I assume you know about the usual plus size selections in the shops, Lindex, Kapp Ahl, Anttila, H+M, Seppala. Also Ellos online though the sizing can be hit and miss but the returns are free so its not so bad trying them out at home.

Well done with your weight loss!

CrazyCatWoman 09-07-2013 12:34 AM

Hei SuomiSara!

Kiitos!

Thankfully I can now fit into stuff that is sold even in Prisma, but for the last five years ordered things online from the UK: I was so closeted and hidden in the fear of clothes shopping, Then a friend told me about the places you mentioned and I felt more confident to explore! I am not imaginative with clothes - jeans and t-shirts do me fine but was having problems with coats!

I asked my question as I was actually trying to work out what size I was in comparison to when I was much younger. Back in the eighties plus sizes were harder to get so I was fitting into men's jeans, size 40 inch waist and i wondered what that would equate to now.

How long have you been in Finland - the land of pulla and piles of carbs ?

Good luck with your journey too :)

SuomiSara 09-07-2013 01:15 AM

Oh there is Hobby Hall online too :) But in general the selection is rather poor over here.

I usually try and stock up when I get back to the UK though, better selection and cheaper too.

Ive been here 13 years now. Usually people look a little :eek: How long have you been here?

CrazyCatWoman 09-07-2013 06:11 AM

I've been here just over 5 years now.

Yes, clothing is ridiculously expensive here it seems. I've been very grateful for online shopping!