Hi all

• Hi everyone. I have viewed the forum a few times and thought it was about time I registered and got involved!

I have been trying to lose weight for a while but I keep dropping about 14lb and then seem to give up. I have always been big and put on even more weight over the past few years what with uni and starting work. I am currently trying to stick to a GI diet which seems quite good. I am using an app on my phone to track calories, i've lost about 9lb so far and am conscious of getting close to that 14lb mark and stopping. I probably need to drop about 84lb in all as my first main big goal.

I'm 25 and live in Brighton so no excuse for not going on lovely long walks
  • Hello!
    Congratulations on your weight loss so far and good luck! Brighton is such a great place to go walking as long as the weather is fine!

I hope you find this site helpful and supportive. Jump right in!
  • Hi Nichola,

congratulations on the weight loss so far and I am sure you will continue past the 14lbs mark.

Im back on track the first time since christmas, eating clean and running (a little) what is a GI diet? Im all for trying something new x
  • thanks all

Hi MissThomas, the GI diet focuses on carbohydrates and controlling blood sugar. It concentrates on whole grains, beans, pulses, and fruit and vegetables. it was originally devised as an eating plan for diabetics to help them control their blood sugar. Personally i'm not diabetic but from following a gi diet plan, I am finding it is a great way to control cravings and that sugar crash from eating the wrong foods which makes me eat again "for energy".

The meals tend to be big on flavour but in a healthy way and i am finding i'm not hungry. I did look in to joining an online diet plan but my husband had a look on the internet and found loads of meal ideas for free which i've made in to my own plan. It is based on a point system and has "free foods" which is easy enough to follow. I don't follow the diet recipes religiously but I stick pretty close and it says to limit things like coffee and other caffeine containing things , which I find a bit difficult, but I am aware that they can make me want to eat so I try and have coffee etc around the time of a meal/snack.

I track my progress on an app and the diet plan probably allows for about 1200 calories, my personal allowance is a bit more but I try and stick low and allow the extra for bad days, it doesn't seem to be a problem as I feel quite energetic/full.
  • thanks all

Hi MissThomas, the GI diet focuses on carbohydrates and controlling blood sugar. It concentrates on whole grains, beans, pulses, and fruit and vegetables. it was originally devised as an eating plan for diabetics to help them control their blood sugar. Personally i'm not diabetic but from following a gi diet plan, I am finding it is a great way to control cravings and that sugar crash from eating the wrong foods which makes me eat again "for energy".

The meals tend to be big on flavour but in a healthy way and i am finding i'm not hungry. I did look in to joining an online diet plan but my husband had a look on the internet and found loads of meal ideas for free which i've made in to my own plan. It is based on a point system and has "free foods" which is easy enough to follow. I don't follow the diet recipes religiously but I stick pretty close and it says to limit things like coffee and other caffeine containing things , which I find a bit difficult, but I am aware that they can make me want to eat so I try and have coffee etc around the time of a meal/snack.

I track my progress on an app and the diet plan probably allows for about 1200 calories, my personal allowance is a bit more but I try and stick low and allow the extra for bad days, it doesn't seem to be a problem as I feel quite energetic/full.
  • Thanks, I am going to look into this. At the minute I pretty much just eat clean whole foods, I cook everything from scratch and dont mind but just seem to be a bit in limbo at the minute which is better than putting weight on but I still have a couple of stone to shift and need something to get stuck into.

Yeah I find it easy to find meal ideas etc online but its the motivations part of it... I am sure we will get there. Thanks for the info I will have a google xx
  • Hey are you still around the Brighton area?