UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:34 AM   #1  
is stronger than this

S/C/G: 242/see ticker/142

Height: 5ft 6

Unhappy Miserable pity vent :(

I feel miserable. I am in my fourth week of this "new life" and I feel like I've just took a massive step backwards. The first 2 weeks went great, I lost 6lbs each week and felt so in control. Then I threw my back out and have been in agony for the last 2 weeks, I haven't been able to exercise at all and my food choices have been getting gradually worse, week one of injury I kept my food well during the day but then by the time it got to dinner I could barely stand/was too tired to do anything and generally got take-out - I tried to pick healthy options and control portions so I didn't feel too terrible (although I did put on 3lbs) but I figured I'd be back on track and all healed up in a matter of days. But I'm still in pain, I'm getting treatment and I'm able to move around a bit more but I'm still not up to any real exercise and I seem to have just given up, I'm so disappointed in myself, I DIDN'T want those chocolates/cookies/crisps but I ate them anyway. I know I just need to give myself a giant kick up the bum but I'm just feeling so sorry for myself really. I've undone practically all my hard work and I'm struggling to get back on track. I'm not sure what I'm expecting anyone to say other than "stupid girl what are you doing" but I think just writing it down and admitting I'm struggling might help
purplekitten7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:54 AM   #2  
Natasha

S/C/G: 335/272.2/250

Height: 5'3"

It does help. Sometimes just getting it out helps a lot. Its a minor set back.You admitted that wasn't want you wanted to do but now its time to get back with it. All you can do it take it one day at a time and realize that something is better than nothing. A little bit of exercise walking up the stairs that one extra time helps or parking further also helps because it all adds up.
Your back will get better and soon you will be able to fully do all of your exercises without restrictions. I know there are some exercises out there for people with injuries... maybe a Sit and Be Fit... sure it wont burn a ton of calories but its something. Good luck and ((HUGS))
ichoose2believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:26 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/124

Height: 5'2

You can still lose weight without working out! It just take longer to lose it. However, if you are going to order out, order only healthy food.

EX:instead of large get small, instead of adult meal get a kids meal, no soda or juices high in calories. Also ask the people who you order food from how many calories is each meal you are ordering.

Ask if it's cooked with oil or butter; You can still have pizza, Chinese takeout or steak; you just have to watch the calories you intake when you're not workingout.

For me whenever I want a snack; I eat Gerber babyfood snacks; like there strawberry bars or blueberry apple sauce. I dont know how much it will take you to get full. But these things work for me and has been doing me very good.
Fatness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:38 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 238/213/150

Height: 5' 5"

I'm sorry to hear that you threw your back out. I've been there. I abused Advil for a few weeks and eventually got better.

As for your feeling of going backwards in your "new life," I believe your fear is unwarranted. Why? Because, life happens. It will continue to happen whether you are on plan, at goal or whatever. The question isn't, "Will this setback derail me from my fitness/health goals?" In fact there shouldn't be a question at all. There have been days when I've been OP and exercising and the scale is going UP. Sure it made me feel upset and hurt that my efforts came to nothing, but did it even once make me want to give up?? Nope. Not once.

The only way you can fail is if you give up. If you keep fighting then the only result will be success. This is indeed a life change. It's not something you're doing simply to get to your goal weight. You can't throw this out the window when you get there anyway. So since you made the decision to get healthy, you can't let an injury throw you off track. Stay the course. Cuz when you start exercising regularly and pushing yourself and whatnot, body pain will be just another part of life. I'm serious.

Keep your chin up dear and have faith in yourself.

P.S. Perhaps you should have fewer trigger foods in the house. If you've got "chocolates/cookies/crisps" in the house, there's a chance you may eat them. And if you eat them, will you be happy about it? Probably not. So since eating them won't make you happy, you should probably purchase alternatives.
Learning 2 Live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:06 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 218 / 211 / 150

Height: 5'4

Aww, it's tough to go from having gained momentum to losing it because of an injury or circumstances that you can't control. However, I agree with Fatness - it IS absolutely possible to lose weight without exercise. Exercise helps you feel and look better and may provide an incentive for diet control, but I firmly believe that in the end, diet control is the only way to actually shed the pounds. It's really good that you are making a conscious choice to pick healthier options for takeaways and such, it shows that you are aware of what you are putting into your body - and awareness is always the first step to making a change.

Why not see your current injury as a further push towards diet control, rather than seeing it as "oh, I can't exercise, I'll just give everything up for now"? How about "oh, I can't exercise, this means I have to be more careful about what I eat so that I am maintaining roughly the same calorie level that I was losing at previously"? You CAN do it, don't sweat it about not being able to exercise, let your body heal itself fully!
sffx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:14 AM   #6  
is stronger than this

Thanks guys, I know I should be thinking "oh I can't exercise so my victory will instead be eating brilliantly" but unfortunately I have regressed into "I feel like rubbish so junk food will comfort me" which is stupid and I'm stronger than that! I refuse to throw it all away because I'm feeling sorry for myself! I am back on track as of tomorrow, I have planned out all my meals and snacks on MFP and have planned some light exercise into my evening. This will not beat me!
Old 01-31-2013, 10:20 AM   #7  

Great attitude, purplekitten!! I'm sorry you are dealing with a hurt back, it's one of the sorest things I have ever hurt. Just be very careful (as I am sure you know) to not hurt it again or worse by adding in your light exercise.

Coming here to 3FC was the best choice you could make, we will pray for a speedy recovery for you and try to keep you motivated to stay on plan.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:02 PM   #8  
Finally in control.

S/C/G: 294/236/199

Height: 5'4"

I've been OP for almost 8 months. I've lost 87 pounds in that time. A couple of days slipping up during an 8 month time span is NOTHING. I worked out 6 days a week every day for the first 3 months and then I didn't work out AT ALL for 2 months. I still lost because I ate well.

The best thing about having a bad day is getting a chance for a redo the next day. Losing weight takes time and it's not going to be perfect every day.

I say don't even bother with the swift kick in the butt...just start doing what you need to do. The past is done and there's no changing it. Focus on moving forward.
ChickieBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:21 PM   #9  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I was totally thinking - 'She's using food as comfort for a derailed plan and back pain' before you said it. We all (pretty much) do it. That's what got us here in the first place.

You have every right to feel disappointed by an injury. You have every right to comfort yourself....with a nice book and a heating pad...or whatever floats your boat. For me, exercise really lifts my mood, so I'd be doubly depressed about not being able to do it.

What about making some homemade soup earlier in the day and then eating it at dinner? I totally get you not wanting to stand at the stove at the end of a day of back pain.

You will get better and you will be exercising again.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:25 PM   #10  
is stronger than this

The sad thing is, my freezer is full of healthy soups, stews and casseroles that I made 2 weeks ago, I was just being pathetically lazy and sorry for myself. I've pulled myself out of it now, I'm ready to hop right back on plan - watch this space!
Old 01-31-2013, 03:45 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 198/172/140

Height: 5' 4"

Hurrah, well done purplekitten for being ready to get back on it...it's a shame it happened when it did at two weeks in, but if you can find a way to make it work and look back at this in a year's time, a two week blip will not matter.

You can do this...
Cofa Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:06 AM   #12  
MaryGee

Life happens -- you'll have more "bad back days" and "pity days". Ok for a day - not good for two weeks. You know yourself better than anyone. What choices do you want to make? Valentine's Day is coming in two weeks -- will that turn into a problem? No need to feel bad for yourself if you have a bad day - we all have them. I hope you are up and about again and taking care of yourself and feeling better. Eat those healthy foods!
forreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:24 AM   #13  
is stronger than this

I would just like to say another massive thanks for the support! I would also like to announce:

- I am kicking todays butt!

I had some more physio this morning and my back is feeling a little tender (from being shoved around a bit) but otherwise much better! I have had a proper healthy breakfast and have prepared all my meals for today and am guzzling down my water properly. Today I feel good
Old 02-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #14  

S/C/G: RS:164/130/130

Height: 5'3

Glad to hear you're feeling better! Hope your back feels better soon
Leaves is offline   Reply With Quote