UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #1  

Default Anybody used Slim Fast?

Hi,

As I have explained in my thread below I am desperate to lose as much weight as possible in the next 6 weeks or so. Although I know it isn't the sort of plan to go on long term I was wondering about trying slim fast for maybe the first couple of weeks to give me a kickstart and help me to start losing quickly. I have never used slim fast and just wondered if anyone here has? How long did you do it for? How much did you lose? How did you find it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

K x
Karriegem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #2  
Delectable Inside + Out

S/C/G: 163.3/132.8/100

Height: 5'00

Hi.

I'm trying to lose 10 pounds by October, and I'm on a deadline. I have used Slim Fast but only as a meal substitute. I haven't used it long term enough to give a good summary of how efficient it is as a diet product. That said, have you considered soup? Healthy Select has many many many flavours that are 100 calories or under, and make great meals. I have a friend that lost 50lbs in a month on Healthy Select. Note, my friend is male but I see no reason why it wouldn't be a great jumpstart for a woman :] I have Healthy Select soups that are 50 calories, and I can eat one for lunch and or dinner, but also they make great snacks. And they're filling!
Pudgebrownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #3  

It would probably be more beneficial to cut out all grains and starches for a while.
odalisque0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #4  

Thanks for your reply, thats a really good idea about soup. I haven't hear of Healthy Select but soups would be a good way to reduce calories but still feel full. I'm sure you will lose 10 pounds by October, you have plenty of time. I'm gutted that I only have just over 6 weeks now - this event has kind of been sprung on me and I would so love to have looked good but I have so much to lose, I don't think I'll be able to make much difference in the time I've got,

Thanks again,

K x
Karriegem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #5  
Becoming A Better Me

i did slimfast n exercise the yr after my daughter was born and lost 50-60lbs. in less than a yr. but if u want quick results im guessing an atkins type would b quicker. good luck
dangerouscurvesahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:05 AM   #6  
Just one bite at a time

S/C/G: 210/210/146

Height: 5'5"

Can we get Healthy Select in the UK?

I haven't seen it, I had to look it up. It is a Campbells brand and all I can find with a UK tag are reports like the Daily Mail slamming it for having even more added salt - 650mg, eek!
stef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:34 AM   #7  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

I guess it is horses for courses but I find Slimfast really good for a boost. I prefer the bars which are really filling as long as you drink alot of water.The shakes are lovely but anythink you can drink in a glass to me isn't a meal! I slimfast 1 or 2 days a weeks if I feel I am slowing down with the weight loss.
The only downside to me is the ...um....errrr.....bowels turn a bit to concrete so instead of their snacks I make sure I have fruit!
Good luck!
mountain walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I always have Slimfast shakes on hand, I don't drink them everyday but they come in handy when I am out of milk or need to make a trip to the grocery store, they tide me over. When I was actively losing I had them once or twice a day plus low calorie meals.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:14 AM   #9  
Just one bite at a time

S/C/G: 210/210/146

Height: 5'5"

I'm considering prunes as a side dish to my slimfast days

I realised it must be bad when my husband described the cafe latte as looking like liquid concrete - I stopped myself from imparting too much information
stef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:17 AM   #10  

Several years ago I tried Slim Fast (the cans are better than the powder you mix yourself), I only did it for a week or so just to lose a quick few pounds. It is tolerable in the short term. I agree with a previous poster, for quick weight loss I think low carb is best - although I don't find that sustainable for very long. Good luck! ~MJ
BelleinAsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 218 / 211 / 150

Height: 5'4

Hi! I've never posted before, but I'd just like to share a bit of my story.... I kickstarted my lifestyle revamp on Slimmm shakes, which are (I think) a similar idea to Slimfast because I was an absolute newbie at the whole diet thing - 24 and never gone on a long term diet ever! Slimmm shakes are actually really quite tasty, the cafe mocha and choc mint ones are my favourite! The soups.... not so much.

But anyway - it helped me keep my daily caloric intake in check, and I've since then transitioned very smoothly over to a high-protein calorie-counting method which has worked for the last 6 months-ish and kept just shy of 55lbs off me. Still a work in progress! As for how long I was on Slimmm for, I think I was using it as a meal substitute for 2 meals/day for about a month, then tapered it down to a meal/day for the next month, then I just went off it and onto a high-protein calorie counted diet.

Good luck!
sffx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:31 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 297/252/145

Height: 5ft 4

Like sffx87 I recommend Slimmm shakes, but I got them from Approved foods and they don't have them anymore, they were just so much cheaper than all the other diet shakes. I tend to drink one every morning as I always skip breakfast so It means I still get three *meals* a day if I take the shake instead of breakfast. For a super weight loss go ask at your local chemist if they do the Lipotrim program, I have heard a few people get good short term results with that. Its a total meal replacement program so you don't even make yourself supper.
LilithPaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 189/183/112

Height: 5"4

I have tried Slimfast and although i found it easy while doing it, the weight came back when i started eating proper food ( still only around 1200 cals a day )

Slim sticks are really good for appetite suppressing, i use them daily. They come in little sachets that you mix with water and drink after meals. It tides me over until my next meal without snacking
chloe799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:50 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 175lbs/145lbs/112lbs

Height: 5ft 2"

I don't like Slimfast due to the 50g of sugar [or whatever it is] in each drink!! :O

I have a big thing about sugar, it plays havoc with me, once i have something sweet then i crave more like ****, i also feel big dips which make me feel shakey

I brought myself some diet soya protein from a website for "muscle marys" lol but it's low sugar, high protein and is good as a meal replacement shake.
QueenMaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:02 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Height: 5'6

I will echo the sugar issue, which is why I won't use it anymore.

They recommend the following plan:

2 shakes or bars - 64g of sugar total (The bars contain less sugar which is good I guess)

3 pieces of fruit OR 3 Slim Fast snack bars - 39g sugar total

1 balanced meal

That's easily 103g of sugar, and all for a very inflated price.

I'm not against people using it as I know it can be convenient, but I personally find them trying to encourage people to consume that much sugar to be abhorrent. Short term it's probably better than eating too many calories and continuing to gain weight but I'd worry about long term usage as I've known people who have used it every day for months to lose weight.

If it's the Slim Fast shakes you are using I'd recommend finding a good protein powder drink instead and maybe adding a tbsp of something like flaxseed to it for extra goodness. That is what I am doing now at least-1.5g of sugar per drink instead of 32g.
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote