Zumba!

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Hurray!!! Keep going and soon you'll be rocking it. Really. Personally I think there's no greater satisfaction than seeing some skinny gal be amazed by a fat chick's fitness when you keep going and they can't.

Last night I did over an hour's worth of hard-core fitness with my club's women's rugby team. Yes, I struggled with 46th-50th leg lift. (!!!!) But I can remember a time when I couldn't do three. Yes, I flagged a bit on some of the speed drills. But I am one of the heaviest gals there (the heaviest?) And then there were some that I actually excelled at (strength based) while those fast, skinny backs were struggling. :-) And because it's a team, the fast skinny back who was partnered with me helped my through those murderous lateral leg lifts.
  • Well done you!
    I'm amazed I managed to keep up, because it was the first session the instructor was doing after Christmas - she gave two options to some of the moves, the less energetic one and the very bouncy hard core one, and I'm too stubborn to pick the easy option so I bounced around like a lunatic and felt really good seeing some of the "regulars" pick the easy option, knowing I would always pick the harder one - think of all those extra calories I burned compared to them turns out being stubborn can be great for losing weight! haha
  • Ha! I'd definitely have picked the easy option as I really struggle with those dance move type classes. I love aqua classes because only the instructor knows I'm doing all the moves cack-handed and a half step out of synch.
  • The instructor has a rule - if you lose the steps don't stop just move around in the vague direction everyone else is and jump around like a fool, doing the steps wrong burns more calories than stopping to watch and pick it up again! So I'm not sure I was 100% correct step wise, but I did move around a lot in the same direction as anyone else so I'm taking that as a win!

I'm thinking of starting aqua aerobics soon once I've joined the gym near me (then it's free) but I'm trying to get into a routine with one thing before I pile everything on at once otherwise I'm sure they'll all just stop happening!
  • Aqua is good, but it's easy to be lazy. Doesn't sound like you'll have that problem. I love it when I'm sore from something else or injured or have generally over-trained.
  • Yeah, my logic is that even on days when I can't face the gym/zumba/anything intense, surely I can manage jumping in a pool or swimming a few laps - we'll see how that works out! Even lazy aqua is better than the couch afterall!
  • Well done purplekitten7, bet you felt fab afterwards!

And blimey AlmostMe, that's some hardcore strength you've got going on there!
  • I did cofa tree, so fab in fact I jogged home (its only 10 minutes away and the fact it was FREEZING gave me extra incentive but still)
  • Motivation!
    Firstly, I have to say WELL DONE! PK7! Sounds like you really enjoyed zumba,put alot into it and got alot back out of it, which is great!
    You other folks sound like your really getting into the fitness thing seriously too...and to that I take my hat off!
    I however, am not going to lie. I did intend to start afresh this week and get fired up ready to kick my own *** - but alas, i have the flu, pmt, im stuck at work and im suffering the after effects of trying the BL workout dvd for the first time ....ouch!
    I may not post on here alot but reading your posts even gives me a wee lift!
    keep it up!
    N
  • Doughdoh, I'm happy to know we're helping (even a little), flu sucks I also have PMT and am being a complete b**** to my lovely and very supportive partner, which thankfully he is being very lovely and supportive about - how did I get so lucky eh?!

If you're hurting that means you did some good...I think...I hope...I was a little bit stiff this morning but it's mostly gone now, can just feel my leg muscles being used a bit more than normal! Have a nice hot bath and give yourself a bit of TLC! I'm sure you'll feel heaps better!

I got carried away with all the excitement of 30DS - seeing everyone saying such good things about it etc and I ordered it online, it arrived today and I planned to do it tonight, however I must confess as my afternoon at work progresses I feel less and less inclined to do it, so there is a chance I might be lazy and skip it...I will 'fess up tomorrow if I do skip it! But I've been completely on track with my calories so far this week so I'm not gonna beat myself up too much this time