UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 218 / 211 / 150

Height: 5'4

Default Cold weather making it SO HARD

Hi guys... I'm not doing so well on the calorie-counting front now. Been eating roughly 2,000-2,500 (sometimes more) calories EVERY day for at least the last 3 weeks. I'd been doing really well on about 1,500 kcal/day for the last 7 months, but when the cold weather and early dusk started setting in, everything started to unravel.

I started to crave stodgy carbs like pasta, rice, pizza, bread etc (stuff that I haven't craved and was doing quite well without for the last 7 months). Started giving in a little at a time to random whims and soon I find that I'm eventually reverting to old eating habits that got me to 240lbs to begin with. Snacking nearly round the clock on tortilla crisps, pastries (which I honestly usually don't craved/eat even before starting the diet), jaffa cakes, chocolate, etc.

My eating times have also changed - because it gets dark so early I feel like it's dinner time at 4-5pm, and then I end up snacking an awful lot at night to the point that I feel it might actually count as a binge.

Has anyone noticed the same problem/s? And any tips to help handle all this nonsense? I'm beginning to really worry... I don't want to go back to my old weight. It's my first time actually implementing a lifestyle change to lose all this weight and I'm terrified of failing and ending up on a yo-yo diet lifestyle!

Thanks in advance!

Shay
sffx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/185/125

Height: 5'3”

I've been having the same problem (I know, I know, I'm in the UK forum and I'm across the pond). A coworker and I was talking about it the other day how we want to eat all the time when winter starts up and it seems to get worse as it gets colder. Hopefully others will post tips on how to handle it cause I sadly don't have any to offer.
dragonstar85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #3  

Aww, it's good to know it's not just my greedy self kicking off again (..although I'm pretty sure that might be part of it, lol). Winter makes me miserable!!
Old 11-05-2012, 04:07 PM   #4  
Geek

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'8"

Winter makes me miserable as well. I sure picked a great time to start my journey! Sheeeeesh.

I had dinner before 5pm today because - like you said - the early darkness makes you hungry early on. I'd say just make sure to have a filling dinner. If you're going to snack at night, maybe you can have a "snack bucket" that you just put healthy snacks in that you won't feel bad about eating in so when you get hungry you reach for those. Everything else is off limits. It might work!
Phae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #5  

Oh no! Things you never considered before you started eh?? On the bright side, it'll only get easier for you once you ride the winter out

Ooo, thanks for that - I like the idea of a snack bucket, might fill it with calorie-controlled portions of snacks to stop me eating myself stupid on 'healthy' snacks!
Old 11-06-2012, 07:25 AM   #6  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

Have you thought about splitting your calorie allowance in to 5 or 6 smaller meals?
Just a thought.....!
mountain walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:57 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 238/238/154

Height: 5'5

I completely agree with feeling like this, its dark at 5 when I leave work and by the time I get home I just want to stuff my face with mash potato, chips, bread etc etc. The only way I've managed to stay away from that at all is to save a small portion of my lunch until about 4.30 and eat it before I go home so techncally I haven't eaten any more than I would have anyway but I'm not really hungry when I get home, gives me enough time to make something hot, delicious and yummy so I don't feel deprived. Or even just having a small snack as has already been suggested.

Also risotto I've found to be abit of a saviour in the past, hot, stodgy and comforting but not crazy high in calories or fat. Takes awhile to cook though, so I normally do it the day before and reheat it.
Oops A Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote