UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:27 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 172/166/120

Height: 5ft 1

Default No More Diets!!

hi, I am a 27 year old woman from sunny scotland and yesterday i threw away my weight watchers and scottish slimmers books. I am have also just completed 3 months of atkins and tried lighter life and slimfast last year. i am sure these all work for some people-just not me!

Thats it! using fitday and going to calorie count myself, increase my excersize and water. So tired of dieting...new way of life started yesterday, anyone just starting and needing a buddy?
taz23e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:49 AM   #2  
Amazing Revelations

S/C/G: 272/ticker/161

Height: 5ft 7

hi and welcome
i am from sunny scotland too (and it is actually sunny where i am today!)
i'm also calorie counting. i too did weightwatchers and also tried atkins (gave me massive head aches) i started in february but recently just restarted.
good luck
MissSMcC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:28 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Welcome and good luck ! I am also a calorie counter I have tried all the things you have mentioned and I found CC works best for me and I don't have to pay anybody to do it.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:25 PM   #4  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Here here, I'm also a fan of not dieting and giving myself too much of a rigid set of eating rules. Eat in moderation 3 times a day and don't eat crap! Good luck with your calorie counting, it seems like the way to go for successful weight loss with the maintenance at your goal weight too.
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:50 AM   #5  
Seniorish Member

S/C/G: 174/143

Height: 5'5"

hi taz23e
I am 51 not 27 and I started my first Atkins at 15 and last LighterLife 1 year ago. Then I gave up dieting altogether and cycled from London to Brussels in October and walked across the Alps from France to Switzerland in June.
I can now say with more personal experience than most experts employed to advise us that neither dieting nor exercise will ever make one lose weight.
It has to be eating in a way that you love for the rest of your life. What I love is carbs and especially those that happen to feature on something called The Carb Lover's Diet. Who knows, you might like what they claim. They write about it on the Daily Mail online site. Early days for me but I'm certainly NEVER hungry which is unheard of.
Good luck. I feel for your frustration.
nopainandnogain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 221/214/143

Height: 5' 4"

Hi me too - want to just eat more sensibly, and use calorie counting as a feedback tool. The calorie counting isn't to enforce specific limits, but it does make you mindful of what you're putting your mouth. So, so strict rules - not helpful.

Also - I'm reading a book called "The Compassionate-Mind Guide to Ending Overeating". I'm a psychologist by trade, so interested in understanding the underlying psychological issues which I find in turns fascinating and frustrating when reflecting on myself.

I definitely need some buddies. Collaboration not competition works for me. Good luck all
syzygy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:47 AM   #7  

Healthy calorie counting all the way my friend! I dont believe in diets
irishcanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:42 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Another one in Scotland. And hey, we do get sunshine occasionally! It's being a weird summer, though, isn't it. Mostly dry thunderstorms with occasional flash floods, and while the mugginess is usual, we still haven't had to shift to the summer duvet.

I'm a bit older than you at 33, a bit shorter (did you know that there's a specific support thread for us short-arses in the Support Forum?), and calorie counting too. I use FitDay as well, and while it has its quirks, I'm very fond of it. I've been doing this for over three months now and have lost a stone. It's my first time trying any sort of weight loss, I put on weight relatively recently, and I was never interested in following a set diet either. I know what sort of foods I should be eating, I had just been absent-mindedly eating too much of them. Calorie counting is wonderfully flexible, and I really enjoy being in charge of what I do and being able to learn more about nutrition.

Congratulations on those first six pounds, and welcome to the forum!
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:29 PM   #9  

I am also new to the forum.

I am 27, from the west midlands. I got married just over a year ago and since then have gained 4 stone. My goal is to loose these by healthy eating and exercise. I hope most will be gone by Christmas.

I too am really looking for some buddies that will help motivate me in the low times who will appreciate me motivating and pushing them hard too.

I believe the only true way to diet is healthy eating.

Miss Baby Cakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:21 PM   #10  

Height: 5ft 3in

Hey, Good luck! If you're anything like you'll do better with out a specific diet. I'm coming to the coclusion that weight loss is nothing but a balancing act and diet programs over complicate things and play with your mind. lol.

I've been going for a couple of months but would like buddies< if that works for you.

Good luck
Aly6690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:57 AM   #11  

Location: Glasgow, Scotland usually but Afghanistan at the mo

S/C/G: 294/238/168

Height: 5ft 7

Its a Life Style Change - That's How I am thinking about it these days... Diet is a horrible word !!! Makes you punish yourself in all sorts of ways... Like you've had something Bad and Feel awful about it.. Or People know your on a diet and you eat something you want - they give you that look of Should you be having that because your on diet....
GillW23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:56 AM   #12  
I Need Accountablity!

S/C/G: 190/Ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

I hate diets also! I do not want the hassle of counting calories, so I chose Weight Watchers (let them figure out all the stuff).

Weight loss is slow, it is not a fast process. It is a new way of life and eating correctly. By adjusting your diet over time, it gives your body and mind time to adjust to new eating habits.
WannaBeLoserAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:52 AM   #13  

I haven't paid to do any diet .. i know my bad habits and are striving to change them and also do more exercise and i am losing weight because of it so it really does go to show you don't have to pay out monthly for someone to tell you how to eat ... you know yourself
Raspberry74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #14  
I Need Accountablity!

S/C/G: 190/Ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

I love the tools the WW offers and makes logging in all my food fun. And, it makes me accountable.

I was basically eating too much and I love those Mountain Dews. Yea...I know what to eat and not eat. WW gives me a head start to start eating correctly. I was not eating enough fruits/vegetables for sure! I was snacking and calories add up!

You do have to pay each month...all more the reason to lose the weight.
WannaBeLoserAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:37 AM   #15  
I'm more fab than flab &lt;3

S/C/G: 354.2/334.6/150

Height: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz23e View Post
new way of life ?
you have hit the nail on the head. i think if you start this journey thinking its gonna be short term then you are gonna fail. its not a diet its a new way of LIFE. with everything in life it has to suit your needs and wants and like yourself i started drinking loads of water and walking more. with a diet you are forever saying oh i cant have this and i cant have that simply because its what the diet says you cant have but you need to make the executive decision for yourself and say no i dont need a whole pack of biscuits with my tea, i only want one. if you make little changes over a period of time it wont seem so traumatic and can be a very doable thing.

all you can do is take it one meal at a time
becckii is offline   Reply With Quote