UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2002, 07:32 AM   #1  
it's always something

Default Quorn

I haven't seen this product much in America, but I recall seeing it in every supermarket I went to in England. Very popular product, apparently.

I've been reading some very negative information about it, though, and wonder if this has been publicized in England?

http://www.cspinet.org/new/200208121.html

Quote:
Quorn is the brand name for a line of foods made from “mycoprotein.” Quorn products take the form of faux chicken patties, nuggets, and cutlets, as well as imitation ground beef. It springs from a single-celled fungus grown in large fermentation vats by Marlow Foods, a division of the multinational pharmaceutical company AstraZeneca.

Today, CSPI asked the FDA to halt the marketing of Quorn products and to direct Marlow Foods to recall its product from grocers’ shelves. Also today, consumers who became ill after eating Quorn spoke out at a Washington, D.C., news conference.

“I trusted that the FDA would not allow unsafe or mislabeled foods on the market,” said 22-year-old student Laura Hubbard, who vomited five times and then passed out after eating a Quorn cutlet. “Now I feel like that trust has been broken.” Hubbard required emergency-room treatment for dehydration
It goes on and on, and is quite gross. The British press release is at http://www.cspinet.org/quorn/quornpr_032102.html

Is it as bad as they are trying to make us believe?
Old 08-15-2002, 10:30 AM   #2  

My sister told me about this last night every time I have eaten quorn I have had certain side effects and never eat it now I dont know anyone else who has any problem with it though.
Old 08-15-2002, 04:22 PM   #3  
Phat Chick

I've only recently discovered Quorn burgers (1 point each) and thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

Can't honestly say if I have had adverse reactions, although I have had a few stomach bugs recently, but apparently that's doing the rounds.

Will try once more and let you know

Have to admit that I was swayed by the "mushroom" "vegetable protein" spiel!

Old 08-15-2002, 05:29 PM   #4  

Most people seem to love it.
Old 08-15-2002, 06:18 PM   #5  
Just one bite at a time

S/C/G: 210/210/146

Height: 5'5"

For some reason I was suprised that some people thought Quorn was mushroom based! I didn't even know that the manufacturers claim it is! But I don't buy Quorn I buy organic versions from my health food shop, and they tell you what it is, almost.

I just read the lables and they say that it is grown in the same way yeast is cultured. So I guess that that is closer to the truth, I can't imagine them using a bald description, "This stuff is made from a green sludge we grow in vats" doesn't sound too appetising.

I have never heard of anyone having unusual reactions to the quron-alike I use, or Quorn come to that. But interesting article! I was under the impression that there was a law against innacurate food labelling, so how on Earth have they managed to get away with it? Or is it just a case of telling the absolute truth being (literally) unpalatable, and a little(?) white lie being deemed acceptable?

Stef
Old 08-20-2002, 01:25 PM   #6  

Default Quorn

My mum had a bad reaction to Quorn - nausea, vomiting etc. However, I haven't had any problems with it, so I think it's an individual thing. If you have a sensitive digestive system, you should probably avoid it.
Old 08-20-2002, 02:19 PM   #7  

Hi Tanya welcome to the forum
Old 08-30-2002, 12:51 PM   #8  

Default Quorn

Hi everyone,

If indeed this quorn is yeast based that would or could possibley the reason for Candida is oon the increase. I am trying to keep off all foods with yeast in it so will not use Qoorn again. I used to bulk out mince forsjeperds pie etc spag bol and all those dishes thinking I was cutting down on fats.
Eat too much fruit and fresh veggies to get tummy problems so it hasnt effected me at all.
Vivienne
Closed Thread